Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Ecoboost is cold blooded like a diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1206066-ecoboost-is-cold-blooded-like-a-diesel.html)

Pool Runner 11-29-2012 09:52 AM

Mine heats up really fast, also never had any problem getting the defrost to work quickly. I also have the V8 which generates heat quickly anyway. Oddly enough, cold started truck the otherday, drove to gas station 3 miles away. Opened hood to check oil and was surprised the valve covers and most of the motor were still "cold" to the touch. It was about 48-49 degrees out that day.

QwkTrip 12-09-2012 01:18 PM

I am noticing the really long heat up times don't become an issue until temps dip in the 20's. Then the warm up is excessively long, longer than any other gas vehicle I have ever owned. It takes forever to make any kind of difference in the cab. When it does finally get warm the heater is good and powerful but I'm already half way to work (25 minute drive).

I winter drove a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L engine for the last 10 years and that was the best and quickest heater I've ever experienced. Whatever they did with that Cherokee should be a lesson to all others! :D

Jake85388 12-09-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SabreFX4 (Post 12533049)
Yes....it will be a little rough on the MPG, until the engine reaches full normal operating temp.

Funny you should say that it takes awhile to warm up, as I was just thinking a couple of days ago, about how fast my Ecoboost warms up. I can do a cold start up on a 10 degree morning, put it in gear and go....and have full heat blasting from the floor or vents within 2 miles.

Agreed, fastest warm up I have seen in a truck

TheStuffz 12-10-2012 10:45 PM

nothing beats ford's heat! ever since my dad's 78 250 crewcab with the big old 460 and the "HIGH OUTPUT HEATER" lol

QwkTrip 01-24-2013 12:31 AM

I've determined it's not the warmup time that is the problem. Like other people say, if you just drive it then it gives heat reasonably quick. The problem is no matter how much heat is available, the front windshield defrost just sucks. It couldn't melt a popsicle on a summer day. The whole upper half of window will never defrost - and that's no exaggeration. I have to either remove the ice with washer fluid or with scraper because defrost is hopeless. Plenty warm in the cab, but defrost is terrible.

Papa Tiger 01-24-2013 10:09 AM

If U are driving in the - area of the temp zones U might think of covering up the front grill a little to help it out as long as U aren't overworking the rig it will help U with a big difference in the internal cab area temps. U got a lot of glass area there and angle of the vents can help U too. I used to use a couple Bud Light cases taped together with duct tape to stiffen M to stay in front of the lower half of the radiator when it was in the -10 F. Only way to get the wipers to thaw out.

DIXIEDOG1 01-25-2013 07:17 PM

It's been below zero overnights up here and my Ecoboost heats up incredibly fast...the defroster also works great. Is it possible your truck is a southern truck and they don't get the same cold weather package treatment? :-huh

My VW TDI on the other hand doesn't heat up very quickly at all, the frost heater and an extension cord fixed that little problem though.:D

QwkTrip 01-25-2013 08:42 PM

Peoria, Illinois. Been about 0F recently at night. Not a southern truck (I custom ordered it). I wore a thin sheet of ice for 3 days last week until the sun melted it off.

Is a "cold weather package" any more than just engine starting aids, anyway? I wouldn't have guessed that there are different HVAC systems by sales region.

03redstx 02-06-2013 07:37 AM

been super cold here for weeks and i have no problem with the heat...however if you fire it up and wait any less than 5 minutes..it takes off like a rocket once you ease up on the brakes..cant wait to get going (kinda like my '77 regal on a cold day when the choke hadn't quite opened)

PrinceValium 02-06-2013 07:55 AM

Maybe the is a physical reason your air is not being directed on your windshield correctly, like maybe it is blocked by a flapper not opening u all the way?

QwkTrip 02-06-2013 08:09 AM

Maybe. A few times over the last week I've heard a clunk after I drive away that sounds like an HVAC door slapping open or closed. Wondered if it was stuck and suddenly freed up when it got jiggled by the truck movement.

blueovelboy 02-06-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by PrinceValium (Post 12806186)
Maybe the is a physical reason your air is not being directed on your windshield correctly, like maybe it is blocked by a flapper not opening u all the way?

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 12806224)
Maybe. A few times over the last week I've heard a clunk after I drive away that sounds like an HVAC door slapping open or closed. Wondered if it was stuck and suddenly freed up when it got jiggled by the truck movement.

well after this thread i took my truck in for the heat not working. i had the service guy told me they replaced the blend door it was not opening all the way! now mine gets hot in less than 5 minutes

PrinceValium 02-06-2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy (Post 12808100)
well after this thread i took my truck in for the heat not working. i had the service guy told me they replaced the blend door it was not opening all the way! now mine gets hot in less than 5 minutes

That is exactly what I was thinking! It would have to be a door not fully opening or closing sending breaking up the airflow! Glad you got yours fixed!

QwkTrip maybe you should head to the dealer to see about yours as well.;)

johngraves2 02-20-2013 07:19 PM

I am worried now, my 2013 fx4 takes a good 10 minutes of me driving to work early in the morning before it heats up. I park outside and it gets down in the 10s and it just takes for ever to warm up. really frustrated and cold in the morning. Would some type of engine block heater similar to a diesel engine help? I know they sell them through ford and they go into the freeze plug right? would it be worth it to install that? I also head up into the mountains of colorado, in areas that get to well below -40 and such for many days on end.

BURNSTOUGHFORD 02-21-2013 06:45 AM

Heck my ecoboost starts up when its 10 out with the remote start. I got out after 10 minutes its blowing hot air and the truck is nice and toasty inside.

If i get in and drive it from a cold start, id say it take 3-4 minutes to blow hot air while driving.