Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Help with 1998 E350 7.3 Power Stroke value? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1172378-help-with-1998-e350-7-3-power-stroke-value.html)

EconolineFan 07-05-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 12019003)
Please, by all means do this, exactly and then tell us what he says to your insult of an offer----I'd be highly interested to know how such tactics work! :-wink

I know how annoying it is to be lowballed as I just sold a vehicle and had to deal with all kinds of time wasters and lowballers. However I think $6k for a 14 year old van is a very generous offer: According to KBB it is worth $4500 in excellent shape:

Kelley Blue Book

He must be one of those sellers that thinks he's sitting on a gold mine.

Tom 07-05-2012 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 12019003)
Please, by all means do this, exactly and then tell us what he says to your insult of an offer----I'd be highly interested to know how such tactics work! :-wink

It probably won't. Someone did that to me when I was selling my motorcycle. I was selling for $7,000 and I got a text message from an unknown number that just said "$5,000 CASH". It took me a few minutes to muster some self control to avoid texting back something I would have regretted.

But on the other front, you don't want to be upside down on a 14 year old van. And that's exactly where you will be if you pay $8,000 for it. Don't get me wrong it looks to be in impeccable shape, but it's still an older van. I may venture a thousand or so over blue book for that kind of shape, but not double. If it were me I would suggest that he review KBB and other auto appraisal websites and walk away.

JWA 07-05-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 12025894)
It probably won't. Someone did that to me when I was selling my motorcycle. I was selling for $7,000 and I got a text message from an unknown number that just said "$5,000 CASH". It took me a few minutes to muster some self control to avoid texting back something I would have regretted.

But on the other front, you don't want to be upside down on a 14 year old van. And that's exactly where you will be if you pay $8,000 for it. Don't get me wrong it looks to be in impeccable shape, but it's still an older van. I may venture a thousand or so over blue book for that kind of shape, but not double. If it were me I would suggest that he review KBB and other auto appraisal websites and walk away.

Absolutely couldn't agree more Crazy001! So many potential buyers seem to adopt the mindset a seller is desperate and therefore more easily bashed into making the deal with a low ball offer, promised immediate cash etc etc. I'm human, insult me with a low ball offer and we're immediately at odds, it won't end well. Like your own initial reaction its normal and to be expected, another thing too often over looked.

Then again when/if I list something I make it understood the price is the price, there will be no negotiating, that if they come to look offers lower than already stated simply won't be considered--I hope to weed out the tire kickers sooner rather than later. This is unique certainly and has its downsides but I've always sold whatever item at my price; patience is a virtue! :)

An item is only worth what somewhat will pay for it regardless its condition or merits. When someone is asking far too much for a vehicle especially if I think its unreasonable based just on cost I just walk away even before opening negotiations---it makes life easier for all I believe. "Nice truck, too rich for me---NEXT! :) :-X22

quigley513 07-05-2012 11:48 AM

People who get insulted by low ball offers and react, regardless how low, are acting on their own emotions not the actual process of negotiations. A low ball offer may not be the last offer and any dispassionate seller will respect that an offer has been made, and diplomatically convey its unacceptability by restating the asking price (if it so low that it is not likely to result in a deal), or, lowering the asking price a small amount to show a willingness to negotiate but not at the offeror's level. Every other response is just ego run amok and stands in the way of a deal.

Just because an opening offer is silly, doesn't mean the offeror will not end up making an acceptable offer. Some buyers get their negotiating metrics all screwed up. Some are testing the weakness of the seller. Admittedly, some are just wasting the seller's time. But reacting to a silly offer emotionally shows a lack of negotiating skill on the part of the seller.

musicmaestrodj 07-05-2012 12:00 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Trouble is, around here, there is absolutely nothing for sale with a 7.3 Power Stroke. Granted, I don't need a PS, I think a 5.4 would be fine since my travel trailer weights in at only 3700lbs dry but even those are impossible to find here in a passenger van. I have been looking across the line in WA State and can get a 12 pass E350 with 87K (all highway miles) from the local transit company. They are used as shuttles and are fully loaded, some in a nice blue color and have full maintenance records with all work performed by their own government shop. They are $10,575 for a 2004 model. I am also considering those... Oh and they've never towed. They are fitted with 11 nice bucket seats in the rear, I would remove all but the first three.

I'm going now to take another look, it's an hour drive in my Astro. I wish my wife's MPV ES was available, I love that 3L Duratec!

quigley513 07-05-2012 12:18 PM

I buy a lot of stuff at our City Fleet Auction. Here is one for sale next Saturday. 1999, 83000 miles with a/c but not much else:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/noncms/...m31eq90857.JPG

It will be well maintained because the vehicles are on a schedule and no one cares how much they spend. But, it will be dirty. I am guessing this will bring about $3,000 - $4,000. It is, no doubt a Windsor 2V 5.4.

JWA 07-05-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by quigley513 (Post 12026492)
People who get insulted by low ball offers and react, regardless how low, are acting on their own emotions not the actual process of negotiations. A low ball offer may not be the last offer and any dispassionate seller will respect that an offer has been made, and diplomatically convey its unacceptability by restating the asking price (if it so low that it is not likely to result in a deal), or, lowering the asking price a small amount to show a willingness to negotiate but not at the offeror's level. Every other response is just ego run amok and stands in the way of a deal.

Just because an opening offer is silly, doesn't mean the offeror will not end up making an acceptable offer. Some buyers get their negotiating metrics all screwed up. Some are testing the weakness of the seller. Admittedly, some are just wasting the seller's time. But reacting to a silly offer emotionally shows a lack of negotiating skill on the part of the seller.

Just as its easy to typify someone's emotional over reaction as a lack of negotiating skill making foolish offers is a similar trait. In the end any seller's true skill is determined by the sale itself---is it made and on what terms?

This notion every sale automatically includes a BS allowance factor where low ball offers are to be entertained in a scant hope an acceptable offer will follow isn't something I'll participate buying or selling. In most cases those offers don't increase to anywhere near a more agreeable price so IMHO its best to stop before it continues ad infinitum I prefer straight forward deals, whether a potential buyer/tire kicker appreciates that is their own matter. After all, it was they who called me! :)

I don't have a problem with any fleet owned and maintained vehicle---my "new" '03 E250 was an expedited freight van for a trucking company. Its sale included copies of its maintenance record---a nice touch.

MusicMan have you tried eBay and other similar known online vehicle sellers? I'm guessing since Craig's List is mentioned you're not ruling any search methods out. I've had good luck with eBay, have bought my last three vans through that site.

Hope you find something soon, Power Stoke Diesel if that's what you want! :)

quigley513 07-05-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 12027033)

This notion every sale automatically includes a BS allowance factor where low ball offers are to be entertained in a scant hope an acceptable offer will follow isn't something I'll participate buying or selling. In most cases those offers don't increase to anywhere near a more agreeable price so IMHO its best to stop before it continues ad infinitum I prefer straight forward deals, whether a potential buyer/tire kicker appreciates that is their own matter. After all, it was they who called me! :)

How nice it would be if all sellers and buyers followed this philosophy ^^^^.

musicmaestrodj 07-05-2012 06:14 PM

OK guys so I'm back and had a good look at the van; I still like it. :)

Now for the bad news... The owner has never heard of the FX-16 coolant additive. Heck, I even went by the Ford dealership where he took it for servicing while it was under warranty and they didn't even know that it was supposed to be added. I checked the records and he has had oil changes done regularly as well as tranny / rear end service, starter, water-pump, etc. but I can't find any info on the coolant changes but it did appear to be nice and green in the expansion tank. Do you think there would be much damage to it with 130,000 miles (220 KM) on it? Engine is listed as a 7.3L V8 DIR if that helps.

Any advice at this stage of the game would be greatly appreciated.

JWA, yes I have been looking everywhere, CL, Ebay, local. When I agreed with an earlier post and you quoted my post and another. I was agreeing that I didn't think it was worth the high asking price with regards to the towing history and age, not with the part about offering him "6 grand and here's my number" I would never do that.

Rico47635 07-05-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 12026190)
Absolutely couldn't agree more Crazy001! So many potential buyers seem to adopt the mindset a seller is desperate and therefore more easily bashed into making the deal with a low ball offer, promised immediate cash etc etc. I'm human, insult me with a low ball offer and we're immediately at odds, it won't end well. Like your own initial reaction its normal and to be expected, another thing too often over looked.

Then again when/if I list something I make it understood the price is the price, there will be no negotiating, that if they come to look offers lower than already stated simply won't be considered--I hope to weed out the tire kickers sooner rather than later. This is unique certainly and has its downsides but I've always sold whatever item at my price; patience is a virtue! :)

An item is only worth what somewhat will pay for it regardless its condition or merits. When someone is asking far too much for a vehicle especially if I think its unreasonable based just on cost I just walk away even before opening negotiations---it makes life easier for all I believe. "Nice truck, too rich for me---NEXT! :) :-X22

I see. So when you are selling something the price is firm with no negotiations. But when you are buying something it's only worth what someone will give for it and you open negotiations.

Rico47635 07-05-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by musicmaestrodj (Post 12027619)
OK guys so I'm back and had a good look at the van; I still like it. :)

Now for the bad news... The owner has never heard of the FX-16 coolant additive. Heck, I even went by the Ford dealership where he took it for servicing while it was under warranty and they didn't even know that it was supposed to be added. I checked the records and he has had oil changes done regularly as well as tranny / rear end service, starter, water-pump, etc. but I can't find any info on the coolant changes but it did appear to be nice and green in the expansion tank. Do you think there would be much damage to it with 130,000 miles (220 KM) on it? Engine is listed as a 7.3L V8 DIR if that helps.

Any advice at this stage of the game would be greatly appreciated.

JWA, yes I have been looking everywhere, CL, Ebay, local. When I agreed with an earlier post and you quoted my post and another. I was agreeing that I didn't think it was worth the high asking price with regards to the towing history and age, not with the part about offering him "6 grand and here's my number" I would never do that.

This might be a good question for the fellas over on the diesel forums. My memory may be failing me, but I seem to remember something about the 7.3L engines not being prone to the cavitation problems the 6.9L engines were known for. Something to do with thicker cylinder walls or something to that effect.

Club Wagon 07-05-2012 10:29 PM

Doesn't traditional 'Haggling 101' say that when someone is "selling for $7,000" & buyer offers "$5,000 CASH" the logical deal is to compromise on $6,000? Or Just Say No, thanks for offer? No harm, no foul? That scenario was "not double" it wasn't even close.

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 12025894)
was selling for $7,000 and I got a text message from an unknown number that just said "$5,000 CASH". It took me a few minutes to muster some self control to avoid texting back something I would have regretted.

But on the other front, you don't want to be upside down on a 14 year old van. And that's exactly where you will be if you pay $8,000 for it. Don't get me wrong it looks to be in impeccable shape, but it's still an older van. I may venture a thousand or so over blue book for that kind of shape, but not double.

Chuckle hearing people who patently refuse to negotiate, get on a high horse over the same behavior in others. Ditto the 'Patience is a Virtue' theme. The mature seller in 'Help with 1998 E350 7.3 Power Stroke value?' isn't a burger joint advertising Have It Your Way. His choice seems to be My Way or the Highway, which is his perogative. He's under no obligation to compromise & apparently made it clear he was firm on price before musicmaestrodj made a trip to see it. Maybe he needs to hear a few lowball offers to stimulate interest in negotiating?

After all this, the puzzling report: "Now for the bad news... The owner has never heard of the FX-16 coolant additive. Heck, I even went by the Ford dealership where he took it for servicing while it was under warranty and they didn't even know that it was supposed to be added."?

That, on top of: "I don't need a PS, I think a 5.4 would be fine" & "impossible to find here in a passenger van"?

Go back to Square One: Why even call about a Power Stroke cargo van? Especially 1 w/firm price so far over KBB? Sounds like a recipe for "won't end well".

Tom 07-05-2012 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Club Wagon (Post 12028505)
Doesn't traditional 'Haggling 101' say that when someone is "selling for $7,000" & buyer offers "$5,000 CASH" the logical deal is to compromise on $6,000? Or Just Say No, thanks for offer? No harm, no foul? That scenario was "not double" it wasn't even close.

Nope. What pissed me off was the fact that he didn't introduce himself, mention anything about the bike, ask for information, or anything else. All I got was "$5,000 CASH".

And my response was something like, "I'm sorry, I can't accept an offer that much lower, have a great day!". Which is something I do not regret. My first instinct was to say something that I might have.

Club Wagon 07-05-2012 11:25 PM

There's a huge chasm between "traditional Haggling 101" which is necessarily face to face, AND texting in response to ads.

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 12028557)
Nope. What pissed me off was the fact that he didn't introduce himself, mention anything about the bike, ask for information, or anything else. All I got was "$5,000 CASH".

IMO what you "got" might as well've begun 'dearly beloved' or 'want to purchase your item' - it has the stink of SPAM. Would it help if he "introduced himself" as a Nigerian prince? In the digital age it's nothing that would've "pissed me off" or even garnered a "response". Doesn't the evolving fashion in 'Texting 101' say that's the kind of text you simply delete w/o a 2nd thought?

musicmaestrodj 07-06-2012 02:03 AM

Anyone else on cavitation?