Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need some advice - Gas vs Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1166663-need-some-advice-gas-vs-diesel.html)

shaark92 06-04-2012 05:28 PM

LOL ...

advice, eh? need vs want ... THAT'S the question.

If you're really gonna get a toy hauler, you'll not be satisfied unless you have a diesel. I bought my first diesel truck in '07. (a 2000 PSD) ... there's simply no comparison. I will AMEN the start cycles, but that's true for any combustion engine, it just costs more to replace parts worn on a diesel than a gasser.

BioDiesel is a growing alternative to the higher-priced petro. I've used it with only one problem in my 6 years of diesel driving & that was because I let animal fat-base sit in my truck too close to the cold season.

I'll never say never, but I don't intend to be without a diesel truck again. Similar to 4WD ... one doesn't often need it ... but when the need is there, there is no suitable alternative to just "not operating."

Al

FordGuy85 06-04-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by shaark92 (Post 11914728)
LOL ...

advice, eh? need vs want ... THAT'S the question.

If you're really gonna get a toy hauler, you'll not be satisfied unless you have a diesel. I bought my first diesel truck in '07. (a 2000 PSD) ... there's simply no comparison. I will AMEN the start cycles, but that's true for any combustion engine, it just costs more to replace parts worn on a diesel than a gasser.

BioDiesel is a growing alternative to the higher-priced petro. I've used it with only one problem in my 6 years of diesel driving & that was because I let animal fat-base sit in my truck too close to the cold season.

I'll never say never, but I don't intend to be without a diesel truck again. Similar to 4WD ... one doesn't often need it ... but when the need is there, there is no suitable alternative to just "not operating."

Al

Why not tell the OP to get a brand new $55k (whatever they cost) king ranch 6.7l then? It sounds to me like the OP will be pulling 6-8k#'s max lol.

shaark92 06-04-2012 06:44 PM

King ranch diesel is stickered at $70+k! Wow!

I guess there are toy haulers in the 6k category ... But any full size travel trailer is gonna pull like its weight +~5k ... Drag chute

Gassers are good for getting a few bags of sakrete at lowes on the way home from a
Milk run.

If you're gonna tow, you need a diesel. Doesn't have to be a new King Ranch

MDSuperDuty 06-04-2012 06:48 PM

The war is starting..........

MDSuperDuty 06-04-2012 06:50 PM

And the thread will soon be closing

FordGuy85 06-04-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty (Post 11915125)
The war is starting..........

Hahaha so true!

FordGuy85 06-04-2012 07:40 PM

I was kinda waiting for a diesel owner to chime in and say that diesel is the only thing that can pull.

2000silverbullet 06-04-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by shaark92 (Post 11915105)
King ranch diesel is stickered at $70+k! Wow!

I guess there are toy haulers in the 6k category ... But any full size travel trailer is gonna pull like its weight +~5k ... Drag chute

Gassers are good for getting a few bags of sakrete at lowes on the way home from a
Milk run.

If you're gonna tow, you need a diesel. Doesn't have to be a new King Ranch

I don't even know what to say to this post. So much fail.. :-banghead :-X15

shaark92 06-04-2012 08:09 PM

I thought y'all wanted a serious discussion.

Silly me!

You're right, anything a diesel can do a gasser can do better

(WHEW)

I'm done w it ... Back to my little gasser thread which won't take fuel.

Al

scraprat 06-04-2012 08:33 PM

shaark92, It's not that it's not a serious debate but this debate of gas or diesel has been played out many, many, many, many times. It's like which came first the chicken or the egg debate.

It's more of a personal preference of which is better, we have our own reasons why we go with what engine is under the hood. You can search and read all the threads that got locked over this and it comes down to what the owner likes better for whatever reason.

Quad Racer 06-04-2012 09:03 PM

Shaaark first of all a new guy is calling you a new guy. Its not good form for a greenhorn to come around spouting his mouth. You have a valid point and all but lets not get carried away. There are extreme thoughts on either side of this worn out useless debate. Gassers CAN do anything a diesel truck can and reasonable gasser owners know that the diesel counterpart can do it a little better. No worries that extra comes at a cost and that is also well known to all. So seriously, go back under your rock and grow up a little. Do a search bud you aint gonna add a single new thing to this debate that hasnt already been said.:-X22

shaark92 06-04-2012 09:31 PM

Thx for the fatherly advice.

Apparently there's a failure to ID/appreciate illustrating absurdity w absurdity ...

I "get" my presence on this board is new and I appreciated the TSB referral on my "slow fill" gasser pickup. Guess I let that experience cloud my estimation ...

I apologize for violating the seniority system ... Like the social rule to listen to a conversation for at least 2 minutes before engaging.

Rock on! ;-)

Kajtek1 06-04-2012 10:00 PM

Once again this forum proves that the facts are worthless when somebody "has a truck that works for him".
Is math that hard? Take a pen and paper and calculate. Bad news is that Ford goofed in last decade, so your choice of good diesels are limited, (are they better with gassers?) but the World doesn't end on blue oval.

Kajtek1 06-04-2012 10:00 PM

double :-X18

Quad Racer 06-04-2012 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty (Post 11914438)
Yes. Crew cab a must for kids.

I can definately agree with this. A crew cab = happy family. We even have enough room left for a 130# dog.