Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   I was thanking of towing a two car trailer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144810-i-was-thanking-of-towing-a-two-car-trailer.html)

CJs66 03-06-2012 12:12 PM

You would not only be dangerous but illegal as well.

If you did get in an accident you would not only financially on the line but you could be facing jail time.

You would not be the first person charged with gross negligence and/or manslaughter for towing illegally. Please look up the laws in the places you would be towing and research and know the limits of your truck.

Half of the 3/4 tons pulling these big toy haulers and 5th wheels are over their legal rated limits. Yeah they can pull it and stop some what well but lawyers and the DA don't care what you "can" do.

Too many folks probably don't even know they could spend a lot of time behind bars, be finacially ruined or let alone end some ones life because they didn't choose the appropriate set up.

63' f100 03-06-2012 12:35 PM

I think he gets the ideer now.

buggy65 03-06-2012 09:42 PM

I don't see any f-450 for sail in my area I thought that 350 would be cool no smog putt a cummings in it a 13 speed and up grade the brakes and be done with it.Man you guys are a hard group. One time I towed a V.W. buss with a fiberglass V.W. buggy It was fixed up.

jowilker 03-07-2012 04:51 AM

buggy, We are not trying to be hard on you, but you seemed to be a little unsure of some issues & laws that will have to be met to do what you are wanting to do.

May I suggest you first see if you can drive for someone else, to see if you can take the grueling hours & schedules required to do that job. If you still like it then look for your own rig. ;)

That way you won't be out of pocket with equipment that you can't use.

John :-X06

Jetcopterpilot 03-07-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 11540747)
buggy, We are not trying to be hard on you, but you seemed to be a little unsure of some issues & laws that will have to be met to do what you are wanting to do.

May I suggest you first see if you can drive for someone else, to see if you can take the grueling hours & schedules required to do that job. If you still like it then look for your own rig. ;)

That way you won't be out of pocket with equipment that you can't use.

John I agree with you on this... it is a much wiser way to go! And not a bad idea to get the proper class of license while you are at it! Let an Employer pay the way!

buggy65 03-08-2012 09:01 PM

I seen them bing pulled by f-250 im sure an f-350 is fine I was told in the truckers report a 1 ton is fine for pulling 3 cars any bigger your just wasting gas.

jowilker 03-09-2012 04:43 AM

buggy, We have done all that we can for you. Debating the point further has no value.

You will have to have a license to transport of sub from someone that does. Find out if they will take you on with a 69 F350. Most companies have vehicle requirements so that will be easy to find out.

Go in peace, make mucho bucks.

Parts Jimmy 03-10-2012 05:55 AM

Towing is not what your truck can pull. It IS what what a truck can pull and stop legally and safely. Your truck will not do both. I would also have reservations on the frame handling that load. Buy a late model F350-550 Super Duty. Happy towing! :-X22

BTW, your insurance company will not insure a F100 towing that load.

Pickupmanx2 03-10-2012 04:23 PM

Ok,, I gotta ask,,,, WTH is up with yur speling?! Where are you located?

And NO you SHOULD NOT do this,,, your truck was not made to do it,, as stated previously, get a truck made to tow!

gangstakr 03-10-2012 05:56 PM

[quote=Pickupmanx2;11556716]Ok,, I gotta ask,,,, WTH is up with yur spelling?! Where are you located?

I too was amazed at his spelling ability. So I did some research and here is what I have found.

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

So, as long as the first and last letter are in the right spot, we can read his post. :)

Jetcopterpilot 03-10-2012 06:26 PM

Buggy By all Means go ahead and do what you want... Feel free to tow a big trailer with your truck... the gene pool has been in need a cleaning lately anyway!

hE JiZ dOn giT It...dO He?

Jetcopterpilot 03-10-2012 06:27 PM

[quote=gangstakr;11557043]

Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2 (Post 11556716)
Ok,, I gotta ask,,,, WTH is up with yur spelling?! Where are you located?

I too was amazed at his spelling ability. So I did some research and here is what I have found.

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

So, as long as the first and last letter are in the right spot, we can read his post. :)

Robert Your killin me! }>

billy12360 03-13-2012 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 63' f100 (Post 11531735)
I wouldn't unless you have modern disk brakes and the right suspension. My f100 is pretty borderline in term of braking capabilities just on its own, let alone hauling 6000+ pounds (which I don't think I could even do at over 35 mph with a 292)

id bet my truck, that you could get that old Y up over 35 with a 6000 pound load. ive done it, at least close to 6k towing off a water logged 24ft boat filled with water and sCrap, though i didnt push it very far past 35, and if i had to do it again, id borrow my uncles dodge or his ford.. i wouldnt of gone over 20, if it hadnt been for the fact that i didnt wanna get rear-ended by one of the many, over loaded log trucks that travle the high way i was on. that was the only boat ive ever towed where i hopped it would fly off the trailer, it was a while knucle ride for sure..

everyone is right, get a bigger truck for hauling a big trailer, my ford towed it, but it was hard stopping, if it was for the fact that i was going up hill the only time i had to slow down(to turn off the highway), i dont think i would of been able to do it.. the handling aint much better then the stopping, then theres the legal aspect of it..

buggy65 06-07-2012 09:53 PM

Ok sorry about the spelling thing thank for all your help I have been on the road the truck I drive for the Co. Is a pro star I was just tring to find a way to spend more time at home the guy I was speaking to when I saw him pulling a 3 care trailer said it was a F-250 just seemed like a cool thing to do.