Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Do I really need a 6.2L Super Duty? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1136631-do-i-really-need-a-6-2l-super-duty.html)

1badfish 02-07-2012 06:08 PM

not sure when I'll pull the trigger. No rush. My Tacoma sits in the drive mostly. Its not a comfortable ride. Ok when its just me dragging the race bike from track to track but for a road trip its not ideal. I want an enclosed trailer, maybe a 10-12 footer. The taco would pull it, but wouldn't like it. I'll drive a 6.2 F250 If I can find one.

biz4two 02-07-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1badfish
The Ecoboost is a great engine and i believe this is what all mfgs will soon be focusing on. Like to see a larger displacement twin turbo for the SD.

In the end. If i'm honest with myself, I have no need for a 250. But I'm quite sure, i want one. I've driven all the aforementioned trucks except the 6.2 powered F250. Looks like i need to.

Not trying to diss your 97 Toyota Tacoma, Extended Cab, 4x4., V6, Auto...but really it is no comparison to a SD...in HP and Torque.

First...with the trailer that you plan on towing...the SD will not even notice it. These 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not rocket rides...or meant to be. The are BIG heavy trucks made for towing or hauling loads.

IMHO...you sit in a SD 6.2L...and give it a drive...IT will be night and day over the '97 taco. Even though it is an apples to oranges comparision.

Good luck either way, but IMHO...the F150 with Eco...sounds just what you are after.

biz
:-wink

1badfish 02-07-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by biz4two (Post 11399940)
Not trying to diss your 97 Toyota Tacoma, Extended Cab, 4x4., V6, Auto...but really it is no comparison to a SD...in HP and Torque.

First...with the trailer that you plan on towing...the SD will not even notice it. These 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not rocket rides...or meant to be. The are BIG heavy trucks made for towing or hauling loads.

IMHO...you sit in a SD 6.2L...and give it a drive...IT will be night and day over the '97 taco. Even though it is an apples to oranges comparision.

Good luck either way, but IMHO...the F150 with Eco...sounds just what you are after.

biz

Im sure your are 100% correct. The F150 would do all i'd ever need it to do. Trust me. I know my little Tacoma isn't even comparable to the F150, or for that matter, the new Tacomas which are much larger, and more capable than mine. I decided long ago however, that i'll never own anything other than a full size, so the "mid size" trucks are out. I WILL buy a Ford. I'll probably end up with a 150. But for ****es and giggles, i'm gonna go drive a 6.2 L 250. :-X04
My dad has a '94 F250 RC, LB with the 460 for the cattle trailer and his 21' Ranger, even though his new 150 Eco would be fine i bet. But, he laughs and says the 150 is his weekend truck and he wouldn't be caught dead driving that new truck through the pasture. funny. He has an '86 F150 with like 50k orig. miles that i'm trying to talk him out of.

biz4two 02-08-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1badfish (Post 11400625)
Im sure your are 100% correct. The F150 would do all i'd ever need it to do. Trust me. I know my little Tacoma isn't even comparable to the F150, or for that matter, the new Tacomas which are much larger, and more capable than mine. I decided long ago however, that i'll never own anything other than a full size, so the "mid size" trucks are out. I WILL buy a Ford. I'll probably end up with a 150. But for ****es and giggles, i'm gonna go drive a 6.2 L 250. :-X04
My dad has a '94 F250 RC, LB with the 460 for the cattle trailer and his 21' Ranger, even though his new 150 Eco would be fine i bet. But, he laughs and says the 150 is his weekend truck and he wouldn't be caught dead driving that new truck through the pasture. funny. He has an '86 F150 with like 50k orig. miles that i'm trying to talk him out of.

Hey...no one here is going to doubt that you should go test drive a SD 6.2L...if you can find one. They are hard to find on the dealer lots. The COOL factor over the F150...is like 10x...IMHO. :-X04

Know what you mean...my dad has a '09 F150 Platinum 5.4L...and would NEVER use it like a truck. Keeps it washed...and clean more so than the cars.

Good luck either way! FORD is at the top of there game right now...so quality products all the way around.

biz

love4x4 02-08-2012 07:22 PM

Nope. You can haul all the groceries home you want to with that half ton v6.

But if you want ot haul a truck camper and pull a boat, forget it!!!

1badfish 02-08-2012 08:36 PM

First, I've owned a boat... and a boat owner I am not cut out to be. No thanks. What a pain. I'll from now on only have friends with boats.
I'm quite sure, a 150 would drag around any race bike trailer i would ever own as well as get the groceries. My wife and i were talking the other day though about how neat it would be to have a small camper (windstream preferably cuz they're shiney) and obviously a 250 would be better. Jeez, i hope i can find a 6.2L to drive. I'm down in south Florida (aka Cuba) so i don't know...

ommegang 02-13-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1badfish (Post 11396586)
...Been thinking the same thing. ..I'm in the market for a new truck and will be pulling the trigger w/in the next year. My current truck is a 97 Toyota Tacoma, Extended Cab, 4x4., V6, Auto. Great truck. Had it since new.
I'll either buy a Tundra or a Ford. I have to say, my Taco has made me a believer in Toyota. Not one single problem with my truck. The new Tundras have terrible interior but I love the 5.7 L V8.
Back on point.
Love the F150. My dad just bought an '11 Ecoboost XLT 4x4. Nice truck.
I'm quite sure a 150 would do all that i'd ever ask. The only thing I routinely tow is a 5x10 foot trailer and a Suzuki GSXR600 racebike and the Taco, with 153k on the clock, still tows great (at 15MPG). Best unladen is usually 18 MPG. Since this is no problem for my truck, i know for the 150 it would be kids' play no matter which engine.

As for the 250, i love the looks of the truck and i like the over-built quality of the truck. I'd never need a diesel, but have often wondered why anyone would buy a 250 wo buying the diesel. The 6.2 doesn't offer much more Hp than the Ecoboost. Torque is comparable too. The 6.2 is available in the Lariat and Platinum. I hate the faux wood grain in the Lariat and i'm not crazy about the tailgate bling on the Plat. In the 150, i would have to go with the FX4 as i'm not crazy about chrome. However, i think it works on the 250.
I'd be all about the 250 with the 6.2 if it had a little more balls. Just seems like it'd be a bit of a dog in such a heavy truck. Sure, i could spring for a supercharger but...
I want to get the absolute most truck for my money. I hope to one day own a camper of sorts (if only to justify owning a larger heavier truck)
My truck would not be a daily driver as the "company" provides me a vehicle.
I can get the 6.2 in the 150, but why pay high 40s or even into the 50s for a 150. why not just get a 250?

The 5.7 in the Tundra is a strong engine. But, the Tundra's MPG sucks. so, may as will have the 250 with the 6.2. Except the Tundra weighs less and the power would be more readily felt.

The Ecoboost is a great engine and i believe this is what all mfgs will soon be focusing on. Like to see a larger displacement twin turbo for the SD.

In the end. If i'm honest with myself, I have no need for a 250. But I'm quite sure, i want one. I've driven all the aforementioned trucks except the 6.2 powered F250. Looks like i need to.

I would drive one down the worst roads you know of. Other than that experience, I live mine. You will experience hop-shake at some point unloaded on bad roads. Other than plowing, I always think I would like the car ride and mpg of a 150 but then you start pricing and you're at 250 pricing. I like the look of the Tundras too. But they get same mpgs as me I think - 13.6? I've had mine for going on two years come April. Like it when I was the one around with a 2011.

Brandon150 02-13-2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by love4x4 (Post 11405069)
Nope. You can haul all the groceries home you want to with that half ton v6.

But if you want ot haul a truck camper and pull a boat, forget it!!!

This picture by Fordmdb shows the "v6" doing a lot more than haul groceries. This forum and what people read in here helps them make decisions which then affect their lives so let's try to keep it close to factual if we can.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=92751

1badfish 02-13-2012 08:18 PM

Yup, I don't see me EVER towing anything that big. So, I reckon I have my answer. Still love the look of the 250 though.

Brandon150 02-13-2012 08:36 PM

what happened to the picture???....

2000silverbullet 02-14-2012 05:21 AM

1badfish, the question you should be asking yourself is, "do I want the 3.73's or 4.30's, should I get leather, nav, fx4, etc".. :-X22

I don't need a 1 ton, heck 90% of my driving is empty, but when I do need it, it's there waiting, ready to whoop some...well, you know the rest. }>

5 Star Tuning 04-12-2012 08:21 PM

Small Update!

Just completed another trip with the eb150 and 5ver, this one the longest at 700 miles round trip, Avg 10.2 going and 9.2 coming back. Driving was 95% interstate at 65-70 mph. Truck pulls well; it really shines accelerating and holding the higher 5th and 6th gears; however not much engine braking in this little V6 as you decelerate and the stability is not as good as the F350 6.2 naturally, its not bad it just pushed around a little as its at its max weight, basically i was more aware of 5ver as cross winds hit.

Have a bunch of data log equipment on truck some info during trip:
EGT = 1312 f max
ECT = 214 f max
Trans Temp = 201 f max
Boost Air Temps = 124 f max
Air Charge Temps = 82 f max
Engine Load = 177% max
boost = 16 psi max
timing - high engine loads at 2000 rpms = -1 to 0 advance from TDC
Steady state Boost at 65-70 about 5-6 psi
Knock sensor retard - didn't vary much -2 max seen

Truck specs are max payload, max tow package 3.73 gears

5 Star Tuning 04-13-2012 07:00 AM

A pic as we were headed back.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...s/s800/002.JPG

03 SVT VERT 04-13-2012 01:28 PM

You can't really compare the dyno curve of an ecoboost in a half-ton to the 6.2L in a 1-ton. If they ever put the ecoboost in a 1-ton chassis it would definitely see a hp/tq reduction for reliability. How much? I don't know. But, it wouldn't suprise me if it's greater than the hp/tq drop we see going from the 6.2L in the half-ton to the 6.2L in the 1-ton.

Either way, personally I'll stick with the Super Duty. I find it too easy to overload the rated capacities of an F150. Power isn't everything, you need to have the frame, springs, axles, ect to back that power up.:D

5 Star Tuning 04-13-2012 03:22 PM

I agree.. I guess one can dream of a v8 eb in a SD.