Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Weather stripping destroying doors (pics) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1073755-weather-stripping-destroying-doors-pics.html)

ford390gashog 06-09-2011 03:42 PM

The common issue for that is the upper hinge pin wears out so the door sags down about 1/16'' of an inch when you open it. Then when you shut it the door striker lifts back up on it and creates a rubbing motion and wears through the paint. Lots of our trucks at work have done this and this seems to be the common fix. We simply loosen the hinges on the body and move the top hinge towards the front of the truck a tad then the bottom hinge normally stays in the same spot or if it needs to be moved it gets pushed to the back of the truck. Then we lub the weather stripping with dow 511 silicone or any o-ring lube will work. Open the door and lift up on the bottom corner and see if it moves.

acf6 06-09-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 10441321)
The common issue for that is the upper hinge pin wears out so the door sags down about 1/16'' of an inch when you open it. Then when you shut it the door striker lifts back up on it and creates a rubbing motion and wears through the paint. Lots of our trucks at work have done this and this seems to be the common fix. We simply loosen the hinges on the body and move the top hinge towards the front of the truck a tad then the bottom hinge normally stays in the same spot or if it needs to be moved it gets pushed to the back of the truck. Then we lub the weather stripping with dow 511 silicone or any o-ring lube will work. Open the door and lift up on the bottom corner and see if it moves.

I just went and tried this and unfortunately it didn't sag. I rocked the truck when i pulled on the door. Thank you for the recommendation though.

This truck also has only 46k on it so i dont think the doors have been opened too much

bigblue61 06-09-2011 03:46 PM

Fluid film needs to be reapplied every few months or so. Like Kmonty said some people are just lazy and would rather just do nothing

acf6 06-09-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigblue61 (Post 10441338)
Fluid film needs to be reapplied every few months or so. Like Kmonty said some people are just lazy and would rather just do nothing

Judging by the name "film" im assuming its clear? Can you see it on the paint at all?

parkland 06-09-2011 04:04 PM

Its sorta golden

I'm thinking its for more underneath

It sprays on like wd40 but stays in a thick goopy application.

Its like jello oil

loganworks 06-09-2011 04:45 PM

I would try applying some of the clear 3M protective film on the areas of the door that are rubbing. It should last for years. Amazon.com: 3M 84904 ScotchgardTM Paint Protection Film, Strip, 4 in x 84 in: Automotive This is the same film they use for chip shield on the rockers and fenders.

crabhab 06-09-2011 04:48 PM

Is that rust on the rubber weather stripping if it is dirt/dust and algae clean it off and repaint the door and keep it waxed and the weather stripping clean and lubricated with silicone. If it were my truck I would pull the stripping and replace it then keep some silicone on the rubber to keep the crap from sticking to it.

Good luck

Scott

bigblue61 06-09-2011 05:16 PM

It looks golden but if you wipe it off it will leave a clear layer of product...Its very hard once something is coated in fluid film to completely get rid of it

dbc001 06-09-2011 07:18 PM

I have always found having a Winter SD and Summer SD is the best way to handle this type of an issue. After 3 years the Summer SD becomes the Winter SD and something new and shiny replaces the Summer SD

Pinky Demon 06-09-2011 08:50 PM

I have the same issue OP. I am going to take advantage of the door hinge advice mentioned earlier. I too simply use Fluid Film and silicone grease on the seal.

Also, remove your lower door seals as you will find they simply collect crap and rot out the bottom of your doors.

SuperDutyScaler 06-10-2011 09:22 AM

my 04 did this under warranty and the dealer wanted to paint the entire doors but i said no. the reason they rub is because ext cabs don't have a fixed pillar in the middle of the cab and ever pot hole bump or divot in the road or any flex in the frame suspension makes the cab flex side to side making the doors rub back and forth causing the rubber to rub the paint off the doors. Go look at ANY regular cab or crew cab super duty truck? OK did you look and what did you see? no rust, no paint missing right its because the cab doesn't flex making the doors rub against everything. I LOVE my truck but i will NEVER buy another ext cab as long as i live!

acf6 06-10-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler (Post 10444071)
my 04 did this under warranty and the dealer wanted to paint the entire doors but i said no. the reason they rub is because ext cabs don't have a fixed pillar in the middle of the cab and ever pot hole bump or divot in the road or any flex in the frame suspension makes the cab flex side to side making the doors rub back and forth causing the rubber to rub the paint off the doors. Go look at ANY regular cab or crew cab super duty truck? OK did you look and what did you see? no rust, no paint missing right its because the cab doesn't flex making the doors rub against everything. I LOVE my truck but i will NEVER buy another ext cab as long as i live!

never thought of that.. interesting. my next truck will probably be a crew cab anyways. but i like how these look though

SuperDutyScaler 06-10-2011 10:59 AM

yea like i said i love my truck wish i had a V10 though but i hate the ext cab. ill never buy another one unless its a 97 or older ford that didnt open the back door. ever time i go hunting or mild off roading i can hear the doors creaking and moving, and if you park flex out the dorrs are hard to open because of the flex. my brothers 06 f-150 ext cab 4x4 does it my friends 02 f-250 does it and both of my cousins chevys do it too, just one of the side effects of ext cab fever i suppose

jc8825 06-10-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by dbc001 (Post 10442107)
I have always found having a Winter SD and Summer SD is the best way to handle this type of an issue. After 3 years the Summer SD becomes the Winter SD and something new and shiny replaces the Summer SD

Not only is it out of many's means to own two large, expensive trucks, it is really pushing it to be able to purchase a new large, expensive truck every three years. The economy is tough and jobs are scarce.

jc8825 06-10-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler (Post 10444379)
yea like i said i love my truck wish i had a V10 though but i hate the ext cab. ill never buy another one unless its a 97 or older ford that didnt open the back door. ever time i go hunting or mild off roading i can hear the doors creaking and moving, and if you park flex out the dorrs are hard to open because of the flex. my brothers 06 f-150 ext cab 4x4 does it my friends 02 f-250 does it and both of my cousins chevys do it too, just one of the side effects of ext cab fever i suppose

I hate this too. I have no use for a crew cab, no use really for an extended cab except that I like the marginally bigger cab. I don't understand why they have to all have the suicide rear doors. Just make the seats fold forward like they used to and keep the rigidity of the cab. These 4-door extended cab trucks do poorly in crash tests, especially side-impact. When I buy a new truck (unless it is an older extended cab without rear doors), it will be a regular cab.