Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   best battery for the money? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1011011-best-battery-for-the-money.html)

TheKirbyMan 11-16-2010 11:54 PM

Ah, but they do!

Duracell Car Batteries

FWIW I've had an Optima RedTop since '05 and it's survived every winter since without not one problem. Original price was around $140, but I saved some money by trading in a still-new Cadillac battery and ended up only paying like $80. They are high in price but IMO they're worth it. They even sell huge commercial ones with like 1,200 cranking amps.

Some say the newer batches of Optimas aren't as good as the older ones, but I've yet to have problems with either my older one in my truck, or the newer one in my mom's Jeep. I noticed myself that my old one says it's made in Aurora, CO, where the newer one in my mom's Jeep Cherokee says Mexico. I do notice the starter spins a bit slower with the newer one than when I've had my old one in the Jeep, but I personally think it's a charging system issue and not a battery problem. The alternator on that Jeep has like 220K miles on it after all.

ospreyguy 11-17-2010 07:03 AM

Optima's are great, especially if you do any rough riding as they have the individual compartments and the lead plates don't bounce around. If you are just normal driving the Napa Legend is one of the best - low priced options. It's basically the top end EXIDE and I've always had great results...

fishbone1 11-17-2010 05:27 PM

Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls I think.

ctubutis 11-17-2010 09:29 PM

Hey, guys,

I edited the title of this thread to fix the misspelling of "battery," this is so future people who
search on titles only will find this, OK?

TheKirbyMan 11-17-2010 09:41 PM

I think that was a good idea, I sat there confused for a minute when I saw the original title. lol

cj06 11-17-2010 09:51 PM

STAY AWAY FROM AUTO ZONES BATTERIES !!

TheKirbyMan 11-17-2010 10:54 PM

Actually I've had pretty good luck with them....lol, that's what I traded in for my Optima! :P

Redneck1465 11-17-2010 11:15 PM

Personnally I would stay with Interstate batteries I have had nothing but phenomenial luck with them.

crestfallinman 11-17-2010 11:52 PM

thank you so much for editing that!

i was in a rush and well i didnt realize it was spelled wrong till a day or so after i put it up haha

im still 50/50 between motorcraft and optima, i would love to get an optima yellowtop, i just dont know if the yellowtop is going to be worth it, im only going to be driving it like 6 months out of the year, all summer...

i might even look into duracell, i cant see them being too bad

TheKirbyMan 11-18-2010 09:28 AM

The Yellowtop has less cranking amps than the RedTop, but it has a longer reserve capacity (meaning it will run your accessories a bit longer in the event of a charging system failure, or if your truck isn't running). The RedTops are actually marketed as Starting Batteries, whereas the Yellowtops are more marketed as winching and high-demand batteries. I think you'll be satisfied with whatever model you get if that's what you decide on. I can personally back up the quality of the RedTop model, that's what I've had in my truck for five years, and in my mom's Jeep for about two.

The RedTop is actually the cheapest out of all the models (RedTop, YellowTop, BlueTop), based on what I've seen at various auto stores. Do some looking around, make some calls, I bet you can get one for a good price.

I've got a story that might sell you for sure on the Optima, but I dunno if the guys on here wanna hear it again...LOL

crestfallinman 11-18-2010 10:02 AM

haha well i am interested to hear it!

and anyone who hates me for asking that im sorry haha

whateg01 11-18-2010 10:10 AM

Man, this reads like a "which oil" thread... "I only use Exide...they're great!" "Exide is junk..." lol

FWIW, the Continental in my F150 has lasted almost 8 years in almost daily use. I may have to replace it this winter, now that I've said that.

This is what the battery shop down the street sold me when I took the Interstate that was in the truck when I bought it in for replacement.

Dave

dohc_chump 11-18-2010 11:00 AM

I've used the Autozone Duralast brand batteries... and I'm not saying they don't work, but all the ones I've ever had leaked out of the terminals. I'm not talking about one or two batteries in the past, but eight + batteries. So no matter how much I kept my terminal posts clean (which became a constant battle) I always had stalactites growing.

Rogue_Wulff 11-18-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dohc_chump (Post 9574525)
I've used the Autozone Duralast brand batteries... and I'm not saying they don't work, but all the ones I've ever had leaked out of the terminals. I'm not talking about one or two batteries in the past, but eight + batteries. So no matter how much I kept my terminal posts clean (which became a constant battle) I always had stalactites growing.

My Nissan truck came with a duralast battery in it. After 8 years of fighting the leaky posts, I swapped it out for another battery. Last I knew, that leaky battery had continued to start another guys car for another 4 years, till he sold it. He also complained about the terminals corroding constantly.......

cj06 11-18-2010 12:32 PM

the only reason i said to stay away from auto zone batteries is the way they test them for warranty . all they do is put it on there fancy load tester and check it and even with a bad cell it can check out good according to auto zone guys , and then they will refuse to exchange it . the best way to test a battery is to check the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a hydrometer.