Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   rare options. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977678-rare-options.html)

arctic y block 09-01-2013 09:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Garbz? Is that for real? A 427 with duel quads and rear slicks.

Never seen or heard of such a thing.

Is there really any of them built?

Wow I just Googled it.

check this out

Later guys I am gonna be reading a while.

Thanks Garbz:-jammin

arctic y block 09-01-2013 11:14 PM

Hey Dave? The last entry or latest on the net I could find was the F-100 XL at Carlisle
in 2012 still without an engine.

Do ya now anything beyond that about her?

Damn Bud. You really sat in it and helped clean it up? Right?
That is what dreams are made of.

rogue40 09-02-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by garbz2 (Post 13493331)
Greybeard

Here is a link to the 64 sport option mentioned in a ford brochure on how to purchase a 1964 XL F100.

http://f-100xl.info/F100XL2a.jpg

Garbz

You can barely touch that intake and carbs for that now. :'(

graybearded 09-02-2013 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by graybearded (Post 13492460)
Having owned one and seen two others equipped the same way, it looks to me like a stage three camper special, with the bucket seat option. Even in '66 Henry was starting to group options into pkg levels. When the weather cools some, I'll locate a very explicit '66 pickup sales brochure we bought a couple of years ago. It broke the CS Pkg into three groups. That has all the potential of being a very nice truck. It's just too far west for me.

The brochure I had in mind turned out to be a '65 (Form #FDT 6513). Instead of Stages it turned out to be Camper Special Package No1, Custom Camper Package No 2, and Deluxe Camper Package No3. It's a complete description of what came with each package, by the time you got to 3 it was loaded to the knockers.

graybearded 09-02-2013 12:56 PM

If Cliffy Clayborne was on here I bet he could tell us exactly what "DSO TTMS-0004-IAC4" was? That's at the bottom of the description of the '64 You were supposed to order to have dropped shipped to Dearborn Steel Tubing to be converted into a '64 F100 XL. That ad specifically describes a vehicle we've been told over and over Ford didn't build. Hmmmm! Garbz your the man!!

garbz2 09-02-2013 09:33 PM

As far as anyone can ascertain ford nixed the XL program before any more could be built for 64. .

Last i heard Bill had the 427 up and running. He raced the truck with a SOHC and the dents are still in the firewall where Bill used a hammer to beat it back a bit for clearance.

IF anyone gets to meet the owner Bill, Just listen to him talk. His stories are amazing of back in the late 50s and 60s NASCAR and Drag racing. If you can imagine running full out in a uni with single pot brakes and a short run out...........

I was able to run my hands all over the truck. Absolute religious.

Garbz

arctic y block 09-02-2013 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the XL at Carlisle in 2012.
I can get it bigger. Ah! The pic.:)

It doesn't look to have an engine in it here last year.

Here is the link where I found the pic. There are more.
Am I reading this right? Was it last year at Carlisle?

As you can see it is listed here as a 63;)

Ford X-100 63 Ford pickup album | VincePutt | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

graybearded 09-02-2013 10:43 PM

f100 XL

Originally Posted by garbz2 (Post 13496224)
As far as anyone can ascertain ford nixed the XL program before any more could be built for 64. .

Last i heard Bill had the 427 up and running. He raced the truck with a SOHC and the dents are still in the firewall where Bill used a hammer to beat it back a bit for clearance.

IF anyone gets to meet the owner Bill, Just listen to him talk. His stories are amazing of back in the late 50s and 60s NASCAR and Drag racing. If you can imagine running full out in a uni with single pot brakes and a short run out...........

I was able to run my hands all over the truck. Absolute religious.

Garbz

I'm not at all surprised they nixed the pickup program over at Dearborn Steel Tubing, they had went all in on the Thunderbolts. The revelation of the ordering procedure for the pickup with the Bostroms, carpet & console was what tickled me to no end. There are now four of those pickups documented. That brochure shows how they could be ordered. I can't imagine very many dudes dealing out $1,900 for a pickup then coughing up another $3,400 for the conversion.

arctic y block 09-02-2013 10:55 PM

Now yer saying there are four XL's?

What years?

Any pic's or links?

427 SOHC "The Cammer". Single Over Head Cam? Is that what SOHC means?

But it has a cam in each head. :o

Can't seem to get the pic to come up.

graybearded 09-03-2013 08:40 AM

That wasn't what I was saying. The brochure from Detroit Steel Tubing shows thier order procedure. The first step is to go to the Ford Dealer of your choice. Your dealer then orders a pick up through The District Sales Office. Apparently the District Sales Office then turned in a Special order (in that case (DSO TTMS-0004-IAC4) if the truck was going on to Detroit Steel Tubing it was to be drop shipped there for the conversion.

Garbz's comment was that Ford nixed the deal before any 427s were installed.

My comment was "there are at least four trux out there with the interior consistting of carpet, the Bostrom seats, the '64 Falcon console, and the gas tank curtain". All four of those trux had special order numbers after there DSO codes. Two of the four have Okla City DSO codes, those two came out of the Kansas City plant. The other two were both out of the Lorain, OH. plant. Of the two from Lorain, one had an Atlanta DSO the other had an OHIO DSO. It's a given with the 50 yr mark rolling around on these pickups, any one of dozens of possible owners could have modified these trucks to this stage. Having seen two in the rust. I doubt it.

garbz2 09-03-2013 08:23 PM

The first one i have seen belongs to a friend Doug in Riverside California. I have seen photos of at least three others moving about the net over the years.

I seriously wound up Bill "ND" about it being a 64 "Ranger". It was delivered from LA and Doug purchased it form the original owner.

A major argument was over the seats in Dougs 64. the XL has 63 falcon sprint buckets and console, where as Doug's truck has the bostrum's mentioned in the flyer, not mustang seats as you would find in a 65 66 ranger.

Garbz

TA455HO 09-03-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by tripleframe (Post 13487307)
I sure hope this truck goes to the right person, someone who will restore it appreciate it as a very uncommon special order factory truck. It really doesn't look that bad, mostly surface rust, faded paint, and of course wrong mirrors and wheels. Would hate to see this Ranger used a dump runner. I believe if it was ordered with both Ranger and Camper Special packages, the side emblem would be Camper Special.

Thanks. There's a few questions with it but I hope to do it justice.

TA455HO 09-03-2013 09:07 PM

Ooops, I should have said...

arctic y block 09-03-2013 09:55 PM

So ya have got it then Right?

TA455HO 09-03-2013 09:58 PM

Just booked my flight. Down payment sent. Hopefully all goes well. Not a terrible price.