Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   2018 G2G / Mammoth Cave NP... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486457-2018-g2g-mammoth-cave-np.html)

System 05-14-2018 08:21 AM

Sounds delicious! As long as Monty breaks out the shine first... :)

EO2SeaBee 05-14-2018 04:52 PM

Rodney, I do seem to recall a few different tours available, but in the back of my mind was thinking to do the tour that everyone could get in on and enjoy, which is the tour of the main cavern. I don't recall the name of the tour right off hand. I have done some of the advanced tours before, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's not for young kids, claustrophobic individuals, or people wider than a fence post. I will try to hit the site again later this evening to look at available tours. EDIT: Copied and pasted tour info below from website for ease of others to see.

The cave spiders aren't really what you have to worry about after a night of beer drinking. You really have to watch out for the barking tree spiders though. They will follow you into a cave, and they bark at inopportune times. The worst part is how badly their breath stinks. In a cave, that can be a problem.

EO2SeaBee 05-14-2018 04:56 PM

Summer 2018

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseSummer view from the Green River Bluffs Trail.Photo from B. Carson files
Summer at Mammoth Cave is full of opportunities for adventure both above and below ground. The lush tree covered ridges and valley floors provide a perfect setting to enjoy approximately 70 miles of our nature trails. The Green River provides visitors a beautiful and peaceful setting to canoe or just slowly drift along its gentle current. Of course, there is also the Mammoth Cave itself. The entrance exhales its cool breath on those who enter its realm providing not only a physical relief from hot summer days, but also the exhilaration of discovery! We would love for you to come join us as you experience your America.

Our summer schedule runs May 26 - August 18, 2018

The Visitor Center hours are 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Central Time.

Tickets are required to enter Mammoth Cave. Reservations are not required, but are strongly recommended. Cave tours frequently sell out and reservations are the only way to ensure a spot is available for you and/or your party. Please plan accordingly. Reservations cannot be made the same day of the tour. Adult ticket prices are for individuals 13 and up. Youth ticket prices are for visitors age 6 - 12. Unless otherwise noted, all visitors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or over.

Unless otherwise noted, flash photography is not permitted on cave tours.

Below you will find our full selection of tour times and descriptions offered this summer. Feel free to read each one, decide which is best for you and tailor-make your own opportunity to experience the wonders of Mammoth Cave National Park.

Cave ActivityDeparturesFrozen Niagara Tour8:30, 9:15, 11:30, 4:15Historic Tour10:00, 11:30, 12:45, 1:45, 2:45, 3:15, 3:45Domes and Dripstones Tour8:45, 9:30, 10:00, 11:15, 12:15, 12:45, 2:00, 3:45Mammoth Cave Accessible Tour9:45, 12:45Grand Avenue Tour9:00Violet City Lantern Tour2:30Wild Cave Tour9:00 (Mon - Fri)Star Chamber Tour6:15 p.m.Surface Walks & Programs - Free!DeparturesSand Cave Almanac Caravan1:00Nature Track for Kids1:00Heritage Walk3:30Echo River Spring Walk3:45Porch Talk4:00Evening Program7:30 p.m.

Frozen Niagara Tour
Often the perfect taste of Mammoth Cave for visitors with very small children, elderly family members, or others who cannot walk long distances. Not sure you like close spaces? Have trouble walking or managing long staircases? This short visit through this very heavily decorated part of Mammoth Cave might be best for you.

This section of cave is seen in its entirety on the Domes and Dripstones, Grand Avenue, Introduction to Caving and Wild Cave Tours.

Duration: 1 1/4 hours
Distance: 1/4 mile (0.4 km)
Total Stairs: 12, plus an optional 98
Difficulty: Easy
Ticket Capacity: 30
Price: $14 Adults, $10 Youth, $7 Special Access
Tour Times: 8:30, 9:15, 11:30, 4:15
Want to make a reservation? Click here
To view what part of Mammoth Cave this tour covers click here.

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseView of Broadway on the Historic Tour.Historic Tour
Been in other more decorative caves, but never in Mammoth Cave? This journey through the natural entrance leads to "classic" Mammoth Cave landmarks visited by writers, scientists, military figures and celebrities of the 1800s and early 1900s. A great family trip!

Portions of this tour are also seen on the Violet City Lantern, Star Chamber and Gothic Tours. It is seen in its entirety on the River Styx Tour.

Duration: 2 hours
Distance: 2 miles (3.6 km)
Total Stairs: 440, including 155 at Mammoth Dome
Difficulty: Moderate
Ticket Capacity: 110
Price: $17 Adults, $12 Youth, $8.50 Special Access, $5 Educational Rate
Tour Times: 10:00, 11:30, 12:45, 1:45, 2:45, 3:15, 3:45

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseThe Drapery Room on the New Entrance Cave Tour.Domes and Dripstones Tour
A wonderful complement to the Historic Tour, this trip includes a dramatic series of domes and pits, typical large trunk passageways, and a short journey through dripstone formations.

This tour includes the entire Frozen Niagara Tour route and a small portion of the Grand Avenue Tour route.

Distance: 3/4 mile (1.2 km)
Total Stairs: 500, including 280 on the initial staircase descent
Ticket Capacity: 110
Price: $17 Adults, $12 Youth, $8.50 Special Access
Tour Times: 8:45, 9:30, 10:00, 11:15, 12:15, 12:45, 2:00, 3:45

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseAccessibility tour in Cleaveland Avenue.Mammoth Cave Accessible Tour

See unique gypsum formations, historic cave writing and more on accessible cave trails. Using the elevator entrance, this ½ mile round trip provides visitors with special needs an opportunity to visit the Snowball Room and includes portions of the Cleaveland Avenue Tour and Grand Avenue Tour. Wheelchairs, scooters and other assistive devices are allowed. Accessible restrooms are available in the Snowball Room.

Please note that transportation or mobility assistive devices such as wheelchairs, scooters, walkers or canes are permitted on this tour, but are not available. NPS employees will not transport or aid visitors in using assistive equipment. If visitors need assistance with the Park’s accessible features, they must bring a companion with them for aid. Assistive devices will need to be decontaminated upon exiting the cave to limit the spread of White Nose Syndrome.

Participants and their companions meet at the Visitor Center for a caravan to the elevator entrance.

Notice: Due to only having one elevator, this tour could be cancelled on short notice for elevator maintenance/repair.

Distance: 1/2 mile maximum (0.8 km)
Total Stairs: No stairs
Difficulty: Easy - Accessible
Ticket Capacity: 14
Price: $20 Adults, $14 Youth, $10 Special Access
Tour Times: 9:45, 12:45

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseThe Rocky Mountains on the Grand Avenue Tour route.Grand Avenue Tour

This physically demanding trip will give you an excellent idea of the size and complexity of the Mammoth Cave System. Learn of the cultural and natural history of the cave and how they are interwoven as your journey takes you through some of the most dramatic passages in this "mammoth" cave. Walk through a variety of cave as you encounter gypsum lined passages, narrow canyons, steep underground hills, large rooms and ares with dripstone formations.

This tour includes the entire Frozen Niagara Tour route and all of the Domes and Dripstones Tour except for the 280 stairs descending the vertical shafts at the entrance.

Age Limit: 6 and over
Duration: 4 hours
Distance: 4 miles (6.4 km)
Total Stairs: Nearly 700
Difficulty: Very Strenuous
Ticket Capacity: 78
Price: $30 Adults, $23 Youth, $15 Special Access
Tour Time: 9:00
Want a reservation? Click here

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseRemains of a 19th century tuberculosis hut on the Violet City Lantern Tour.Violet City Lantern Tour
Travel exclusively by lantern light as guides recreate a nostalgic experience of days gone by. The flickering flame and rugged trails make it seem as if time stands still in the cave. Experience the cave the way early visitors did as you navigate steep hills and uneven terrain through some of the largest and oldest toured passageways. Relive the stories, behold the illusions and experience the cave's primitive nature that only this rustic walking tour can afford!

Portions of this tour are also seen on the Historic, River Styx and Mammoth Passage Tours. Only visitors age 16 and over may carry lanterns. Be prepared, the rugged nature of this tour possesses steep hills, low lighting, uneven terrain and no handrail or electric lighting infrastructure. To preserve the nostalgic nature of this tour, the use of flashlights is prohibited.

Age Limit: 6 and over
Duration: 3 hours
Distance: 3 miles (4.8 km)
Total Stairs: 160 and numerous hills with no hand rails
Difficulty: Strenuous
Ticket Capacity: 38
Price: $20 Adults, $15 Youth, $10 Special Access
Tour Times: 2:30

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseStar Chamber.NPS Photo by Jackie Wheet
Star Chamber
Take an evening journey into Mammoth Cave and experience the cave by lantern light. Learn of the early travels of both guides and visitors in the 1800s. Hear the stories of tuberculosis patients who sought for a cure inside the cave. View numerous rock monuments and signatures left by visitors who sought memorable experiences in Mammoth Cave over a hundred years ago. A great tour for summer campers!

Portions of this tour are also seen on the Historic, River Styx and Gothic Avenue Tours. Only visitors age 16 and over may carry lanterns. To preserve the nostalgic atmosphere of the activity, there is no flashlight use permitted on this tour.

Age Limit: Age 6 and over
Duration: 2 1/2 hours
Distance: 2 miles (3.2 km)
Total Stairs: 200
Ticket Capacity: 40
Price: $20 Adults, $15 Youth, $10 Special Access
Tour Times: 6:15 p.m.
To see what part of Mammoth Cave this tour covers click here.

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseThe Rotunda on the Discovery Tour RouteDiscovery Tour

Visit the Rotunda, one of the largest rooms in the cave and explore a vast canyon passageway. Learn about prehistoric American Indian explorers, saltpeter mining operations, and basic cave geology on this self-guiding tour. Rangers are stationed along the route to give short talks and answer questions. This is a short introductory tour.

Includes part of the Historic Tour and all of the Mammoth Passage Tour routes. Offered as visitation warrants. Call the Park the day of your visit to check availability. Includes a steep outdoor hillside trail to and from the cave’s natural entrance.

Duration: ½ hour
Distance: ¾ mile (1.2 km)
Total Stairs: 160
Difficulty: Easy
Price: $6 Adults, $4 Youth, $3 Special Access
Tour Times: 10:00 - 2:00*

*This tour is self-guided. Rangers are located inside the cave along the route, and are available for questions. Tickets are day of sale only and therefore cannot be purchased by reservation.

https://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvis...torotate=falseA pair of boots meeting the requirements for the Wild Cave & Introduction to Caving Tours.Wild Cave Tour
Face the darkness - and the challenge. Journey with experienced guides and a small adult group through some of the starkly beautiful yet physically demanding "wild" areas of the cave. Climb, crawl, squeeze, hike and canyon walk in the realms of Mammoth Cave. See places no other tour encounters and feel the thrill of exploration!

In order to minimize the spread of White Nose Syndrome, a fungus that has resulted in the death of millions of bats in the eastern United States, Mammoth Cave National Park has instituted stringent cleaning procedures for all off-trail spelunking tours this summer. All equipment and outerwear including gloves will be provided by the park. Visitors must provide their own boots. No personal caving equipment allowed. No Exceptions. Shorts and t-shirt recommended for wear under required coveralls.

An adult must accompany visitors under age 18. Organized youth groups must have at least two adult representatives accompanying minor children. Chest or hip measurement must not exceed 42 inches; if you are larger you may not physically pass through the crawlspaces.PLEASE READ: Sturdy, lace-up hiking boots that cover the ankle are required. Boots with zippers will not be admitted on the tour. Boots must have good aggressive tread. No slick-soled footwear is permitted. No tennis shoes allowed.You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear - no exceptions. Please bring an extra pair of tennis shoes or sandals for use during boot cleaning at the end of the tour. There will be no food service in the Snowball Room. Visitors will need to bring their own lunch or snacks. A small fannypack is provided. Requires at least 2 participants.

Age Limit: 16 and over
Duration: 6 hours
Distance: 5 miles (8 km)
Difficulty: Extremely Strenuous
Ticket Capacity: 14
Price: $60, $30 Special Access
Tour Times: 9:00 (Mon. - Fri.)

System 05-14-2018 05:32 PM

We are game for whatever the rest of the group likes...

EO2SeaBee 05-14-2018 05:32 PM

Same for the two of us.

EO2SeaBee 05-14-2018 08:45 PM

After taking the time to actually read through the descriptions of each tour, I now know that the tour I went on with my grandparents 32 years ago was the Historic Tour. It is listed as "moderate", 2 hours and 2 miles long, and has approximately 440 stairs. (Bear in mind on the stair count, that not ALL of the stairs go up, and going down stairs is pretty easy.) I would enjoy doing this tour again, but it would not necessarily be my first choice. However, for those who have never been to Mammoth before, or any cave for that matter, it is a good way to get a decent taste of caving. At 2 hours long, it will be over before you know it. Several tour times available - beginning at 10a.

My first choice would be the Violet City Lantern Tour. It is listed as "strenuous", is 3 miles and 3 hours long, has 160 stairs, and the whole thing is done without any electrical lighting whatsoever. It is all done by lanterns, carried by anyone over 16 years old. A potential drawback is the only tour doesn't begin until 2:30p.

A close second choice for me is the Grand Avenue Tour. It is listed as "very strenuous", and that is the only reason why it is my close second, instead of my overwhelming first. I'm not in the same great shape as I was the last time I came to Mammoth Cave. It is 4 miles and 4 hours, and has about 700 stairs, but covers a BUNCH of the cave system, without needing specialized gear, or squeezing through tight spaces, doing any belly crawling, etc. Tour starts at 9a.

System 05-15-2018 06:24 AM

I'll let the warden peruse the list Doug. She's worried about long tours would be bad for Elyse. I think that they would be EXCELLENT for her. She's got more energy than the rest of the group combined that needs to be burned off...

EO2SeaBee 05-15-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 17984170)
I'll let the warden peruse the list Doug. She's worried about long tours would be bad for Elyse. I think that they would be EXCELLENT for her. She's got more energy than the rest of the group combined that needs to be burned off...

You are likely correct about the little one's stamina. Last time I went was with my 65 year old grandparents. I was 15. One of my brothers was 11, and the other was 4. At 4, he still did the tour without issue, as did both grandparents. He did sleep well that night. The fact that you won't get hot and sweaty at any point helps tremendously.

fordmantpw 05-15-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee (Post 17984768)
The fact that you won't get hot and sweaty at any point helps tremendously.

That's the best part about cave tours!

Chad149 05-15-2018 10:24 PM

I had Jen review the choices. She likes the idea of the Lantern tour more, but was concerned about lack of bathrooms. The Grand Avenue tour has two pit stops, but shes concerned on what's meant by "narrow canyons" in the description, but I think she be ok either way. Both look like excellent choices to me.:-drink

EO2SeaBee 05-19-2018 01:26 PM

Thanks Chad. Did you guys get to play with the cave maps?

System 05-19-2018 01:32 PM

I just sent the link to the boss and reminded her to give it a thorough going over tonight at work Doug.

EO2SeaBee 05-19-2018 01:35 PM

Thanks Rodney. I still need to sit down at the computer with Jodi tomorrow night so she can see it as well. My desktop died a few weeks ago and I just got around to fixing it a few days ago. We will need to book reservations soon if we want to go together.

System 05-19-2018 01:39 PM

I just shot Tony a text to see what he and his group prefer as well. I'm guessing he'll be good with whatever the group does but I'll let him post on his preference.

EO2SeaBee 05-19-2018 01:42 PM

Great! Thanks. It's getting close!