Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   the official OBS diesel off topic thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157402-the-official-obs-diesel-off-topic-thread.html)

chicagodragon 06-26-2012 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go darin
Attachment 235611

427 fordman 06-26-2012 06:37 PM

U Bet. The dude rules..

Talyn 06-26-2012 08:53 PM

Looks like jeff Bridges.

BuckHammer 06-26-2012 09:03 PM

It is Jeff Bridges as "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski.

BuckHammer 06-26-2012 09:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FbJP...eature=related

F350-6 06-26-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 11997616)
Looks like jeff Bridges.

Well it darn sure don't look like Rooster Cogburn.

I never saw the dude or the remake, but I've seen the real True Grit many times and just don't see how the dude could pull it off the same.

Talyn 06-26-2012 09:06 PM

Jeff Bridges is a wonderful actor.

tshrager 06-26-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 11997653)
Well it darn sure don't look like Rooster Cogburn.

I never saw the dude or the remake, but I've seen the real True Grit many times and just don't see how the dude could pull it off the same.

My parents are huge John Wayne fans, which turned me into one. So I took them to see the remake of true grit and we all agreed it was well done. Nothing could ever replace the duke let alone an original like true grit, but it was good.

chicagodragon 06-26-2012 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235612

Talyn 06-26-2012 10:04 PM

Redoing original movies is just a sign that people suck at writing movies.

ReBilld 06-26-2012 10:06 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...SUSiu0CA0Zyr8A

Talyn 06-26-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 11997868)

What was the name of the movie where they re-did that with black actors?
That was a pretty good movie.

I think it was called "to the moon"?

chicagodragon 06-26-2012 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235613

ReBilld 06-26-2012 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 11997910)
What was the name of the movie where they re-did that with black actors?
That was a pretty good movie.

I think it was called "to the moon"?

I don't know, don't guess I've seen that.

chicagodragon 06-26-2012 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235614

Talyn 06-26-2012 11:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honeymooners_(film)

here it is, I think.

Talyn 06-26-2012 11:14 PM

Yeah, thats it.
Its a pretty decent movie.

427 fordman 06-27-2012 05:25 AM

George, that is pics of almost all of my favorite actors! The one Bill threw in there is one also! You guys are good!

redman84 06-27-2012 09:07 AM

Man, I sure do stink at soldering.

Talyn 06-27-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by redman84 (Post 11999013)
Man, I sure do stink at soldering.

Whats going wrong bro?

redman84 06-27-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 11999269)
Whats going wrong bro?

Nothing really. I'm just working on some wiring and am just not very good at soldering. I mean I can get it done but wouldn't be comfortable working on anything very sensitive. Like my IDM... I've had a resistor for 2 years and it's still on my dresser. I think I need a different one though anyway since I have a 120v IDM now.

Talyn 06-27-2012 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by redman84 (Post 11999366)
Nothing really. I'm just working on some wiring and am just not very good at soldering. I mean I can get it done but wouldn't be comfortable working on anything very sensitive. Like my IDM... I've had a resistor for 2 years and it's still on my dresser. I think I need a different one though anyway since I have a 120v IDM now.

Leave the 120 and dont mess with it.
Your not going to gain anything from messing with it.
and yes, you need a different resistor.

Is there anything i can do to help ya on soldering?

redman84 06-27-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 11999670)
Is there anything i can do to help ya on soldering?

You can tell me how to do it properly if you want. I'm positive there's a correct technique; there always is but I just don't know it.

Talyn 06-27-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by redman84 (Post 11999805)
You can tell me how to do it properly if you want. I'm positive there's a correct technique; there always is but I just don't know it.

You'll have to be more specific for me to help ya.

Wires, terminals, circuit boards, solder removal, clean up, blah blah blah.

chicagodragon 06-27-2012 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 427 fordman (Post 11998419)
George, that is pics of almost all of my favorite actors! The one Bill threw in there is one also! You guys are good!

I forgot one
Attachment 235615

Talyn 06-27-2012 03:36 PM

Ole Red Fox.

Right Arm.

ReBilld 06-27-2012 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by chicagodragon (Post 12000044)

Hah!...that's funny George, I was thinking about him too!

chicagodragon 06-27-2012 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235616

DIYMechanic 06-28-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by redman84 (Post 11999805)

A couple quick tips I could offer is to let the soldering iron do the work. Let it get good and hot before you start, then melt a little bit of solder onto the tip of the iron before you start soldering the wires or whatever you're working with. The solder on the tip helps to conduct the heat into the work piece more efficiently since it is a liquid. Then, if you're soldering wires (especially if they're stranded - meaning not a single solid copper conductor) "tin" each wire with solder. Heat the wire for a short time then hit them with the solder. I try to feed the solder into the tip of the iron more than the wire until you see the solder starting to "wick" up into the wire, then push some solder into the wire as well. Pull the tip of the iron away from the wire and let it cool. Having the solder on the wire already makes it a lot easier to get a good penetration into the wire, and it helps to hold the work together without having to add a lot of solder while you're holding three things at once.

Another tip is to make sure the pieces are good and clean. Dirt, grease, etc make it really hard to get a good solder joint. Use some paste flux to "clean up" a dirty workpiece. You just smear the flux on there then heat it up and let it burn off the contamination.

Aside from that, practice makes perfect!

Having a good iron makes a difference too. A Weller dual setting or adjustable soldering station would be my choice. Although the Radio Shack two setting ones work pretty well too.

Talyn 06-28-2012 07:10 AM

I wish I had a nice iron.
I have a cheapie. =)

Biggest thing to remember while soldering is that the solder will flow towards the heat, as in your iron.

Awitte58 06-28-2012 07:21 AM

If thats one thing I have a lot of and a lot of good quality stuff is soldering irons and Dremel tools/attachments.

My father as well as my grandfather were into model airplanes, trains, cars. Pretty much if it was small and would GO they built/toyed with it.

And my grandfather always thought if it was worth buying one of them its worth buying 6 of.

When we went to clean out his house(3 generations of my family lived in that house so some of it wasnt his...but still he never bothered to get rid of it). We brought back over 2 dozen unopened model airplane kits (engines, balsa wood, servos and all). and like 6 or 7 tackle boxes...which each of course had EVERYTHING you would ever need.

Since im the only fisherman in the family I kind of took one of everything and put it in my tacklebox, but I kid you not if I laid it all out. I have probably 15 of the same kinds of louers...looers...loooooooers.

Sorry this ends my rant. Its early... im tired. and its already 85* today.

Talyn 06-28-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Awitte58 (Post 12002440)
If thats one thing I have a lot of and a lot of good quality stuff is soldering irons and Dremel tools/attachments.

My father as well as my grandfather were into model airplanes, trains, cars. Pretty much if it was small and would GO they built/toyed with it.

And my grandfather always thought if it was worth buying one of them its worth buying 6 of.

When we went to clean out his house(3 generations of my family lived in that house so some of it wasnt his...but still he never bothered to get rid of it). We brought back over 2 dozen unopened model airplane kits (engines, balsa wood, servos and all). and like 6 or 7 tackle boxes...which each of course had EVERYTHING you would ever need.

Since im the only fisherman in the family I kind of took one of everything and put it in my tacklebox, but I kid you not if I laid it all out. I have probably 15 of the same kinds of louers...looers...loooooooers.

Sorry this ends my rant. Its early... im tired. and its already 85* today.

I got 78 already

I wish I could get into some goodies like that.

Sickens me when people have family deaths and just pitch all sorts of really good stuff like that.

Awitte58 06-28-2012 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 12002554)
I got 78 already

I wish I could get into some goodies like that.

Sickens me when people have family deaths and just pitch all sorts of really good stuff like that.

What sorta stuff you interested in? Like I said I have too much... I have 13 dremels or so that each have a few accessories...thats this dremel not sure the RPM rating on each of them...http://stitchandwire.com/wp-content/...remel_foto.jpg

We brought back a LOT of stuff. All of it worth bringing back. For a few years we had a storage unit cuz sadly my dads side and moms side all passed within the same 5 years. :-X15

But my moms side was farmers so we kept the land and auctioned off most of the equipment. Kept a lot of the woodworking tools from his shop as well as all of the things he made for us/was in the process of making us. They werent much into collecting so it was just pictures and stuff.

Talyn 06-28-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Awitte58 (Post 12002586)
What sorta stuff you interested in? Like I said I have too much... I have 13 dremels or so that each have a few accessories...thats this dremel not sure the RPM rating on each of them...http://stitchandwire.com/wp-content/...remel_foto.jpg

We brought back a LOT of stuff. All of it worth bringing back. For a few years we had a storage unit cuz sadly my dads side and moms side all passed within the same 5 years. :-X15

But my moms side was farmers so we kept the land and auctioned off most of the equipment. Kept a lot of the woodworking tools from his shop as well as all of the things he made for us/was in the process of making us. They werent much into collecting so it was just pictures and stuff.

I'm trying to find an old style table saw.

One with the HUGE cast iron deck that doubles as a good workspace.

I love old tools.
I wish I had more opportunities to collect them.

DIYMechanic 06-28-2012 08:50 AM

Auctions are your friend. Old tools are best had at auction. Estate auctions especially.

Talyn 06-28-2012 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic (Post 12002670)
Auctions are your friend. Old tools are best had at auction. Estate auctions especially.

Unfortunately I've noticed they are vastly overpriced for value.

Around here at least.

Auctions are good and bad.
Good when you can score things at the correct value or lower.

Gun auctions are a good example of this.
400 dollar guns going for 1600 dollars.
WTF?!

The only benefit of overpaying at an auction here is that the government doesn't know what you bought or how many guns you bought, they just know you applied to purchase that day.

Awitte58 06-28-2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Talyn (Post 12002679)
Gun auctions are a good example of this.
400 dollar guns going for 1600 dollars.
WTF?!

The only benefit of overpaying at an auction here is that the government doesn't know what you bought or how many guns you bought, they just know you applied to purchase that day.

Haha That is exactly why things like guns go for outrageous prices!

Them doomsday preppers are buying up all the guns they can because AS YOU KNOW! the government is going to take away our right to bear arms right before the worlds end comes and we are all defenseless! :-X19

haha I love watching doomsday preppers or all those other shows where people have conspiracy theories how the worlds coming to an end and the govt is always part of it!

Talyn 06-28-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Awitte58 (Post 12002753)
Haha That is exactly why things like guns go for outrageous prices!

Them doomsday preppers are buying up all the guns they can because AS YOU KNOW! the government is going to take away our right to bear arms right before the worlds end comes and we are all defenseless! :-X19

haha I love watching doomsday preppers or all those other shows where people have conspiracy theories how the worlds coming to an end and the govt is always part of it!

It's over-dramatized.

Special interest groups do want a protectionist culture though.

I love guns, I love being prepared.
I love the idea of a public militia.
Nobody ever considers our LEO's to be our Local Militia. Hmm Magine that?
Problem is they end up harassing people instead of protecting them in some cases.
Small dick syndrome.

I like the idea of being able to live off the land and not rely on others.
Does that mean I'm a prepper? Helllllllll no.
NO No NO.

But it is fun to watch these people spend 80,000 a year on supplies they are not thinking though.
If they could hunker down, these supplies would be great, but if you notice, most of the people on these shows could easily be over-run by a few of us on here.

Hell, I could buy a few hi-point pistols and carbines, train you all for a few hours (like 2) and we would be able to overtake half these people except for the people in the bunkers.
They can stay down there for all I care.

I'm talking the people that have 10 years of food supplies and have to use a go-cart to get around or a 4wheeler, so you know they don't move fast.
Or the people who have no gun experience.

Thats the purpose of having wilderness skills and prepping in lets say an "awol" format.
Not a hoarder because your paranoid. Cannot take that 80k in supplies with you newbie!

Awitte58 06-28-2012 10:31 AM

I second that William!

I think "knowledge is power." is probably the best 'prepping' you can do.

All you need to have is a couple days worth of food on hand (which most households do... unless the world ends the day i needed to go to the grocery) a gun and some ammo (and know how to use it) and a reliable vehicle full of fuel to get you somewhere (thats why i bought a Ford Diesel).

And if the world goes to hell then you can take your ammo and food and travel somewhere in those couple days to get you what you need.
Having all that crap with you wont necessarily do you any good. I mean if you have a 3000 sq foot concrete enclosed basement where you have hydroponics to grow food and miraculously create water. lol

Long story short I hear ya William and I feel like the first guys id come to are my buddies on the truck forum and then hit up the NRA crowd. My friends all know how to hunt and just generally do stuff.
I guess im ready for whatever comes, but I feel like my Lord will just call me up the old natural way. Its called dying.

427 fordman 07-15-2012 03:35 PM

Where is everyone? I'm non the only one hanging out inside when is 104 outside am I? I'm getting really sick of this weather. Up to possibly 108 tomorrow. Humidity isn't quite as high as it was. All the crops are drying out. It's not good for sure. I'm not moving far from my ac..

I'm kinda bored as you may see...

I got a used dana 60 complete REAR axle to put in my 76 for 100 bucks as mine is in bad shape. Same gear ratio and width but different spring locations so I ordered new perches for it today so I can work on that next weekend. I do have ac in the shop, talking 100 all this week and next weekend, except for 2 days in the mid to high 90's...