Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1267940-newbie-85-f250-frame-off-resto-image-heavy.html)

FordFETruck 03-04-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Piston Honda (Post 14132934)
Looks good, how did you set up your alternator without using the smog pump bracket? It looks like you don't have any bracket there.

Yeah, it's an ARP bolt kit. I had issues with the kit, there were multiple bolts missing or the wrong length. At first the gentleman on the phone at ARP didn't seem to friendly, but they did end up sending the correct and missing bolts.

I just have some small pieces of tubing separating it, the alternator isn't perfectly straight with the belt. I need a separator. I tossed my old smog pump bracket, when now I need one. I could have modified it to work only as a alternator bracket.

Gary Lewis 03-04-2014 09:05 PM

There are several styles that have either replaceable or washable filters in them. Here's one.

Piston Honda 03-04-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14133025)
You're sucking clean filtered air into your engine???

As for an alternator bracket, you can find them at JBG or cheap on Ebay.

I'm confused how this works. If the oil cap is not connected to the air filter housing (like the one I have) the engine is still sucking in clean air. Isn't the opening in the oil cap I'm using just letting air vent from the engine into the engine bay. What I'm getting at is, does the engine air have to feed back into the air filter housing for the engine to run properly? :)

ArdWrknTrk 03-04-2014 09:11 PM

The oil cap is the air INLET, making up for the vacuum of the PCV valve in the other cover.

Piston Honda 03-04-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14133241)
The oil cap is the air INLET, making up for the vacuum of the PCV valve in the other cover.

OK, I thought it was the other way.:-newbie

My cap does have a filter in there, but it looks like a lot of stuff could get through it. That's why I thought the air direction was reversed and the filter was just keeping dirt and debris from falling into the heads. It's probably a better option to go with the stock one then.

ctubutis 03-04-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14133241)

Yes, exactly.

The PCV valve sucks in the blowby gasses, the air inlet on the other side lets filtered air in to replace the volume lost via that valve.

FordFETruck 03-04-2014 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14133025)
You're sucking clean filtered air into your engine???

As for an alternator bracket, you can find them at JBG or cheap on Ebay.

Been there done that, all of the cheap ones on Ebay are listed for 289/302/351W. If they're made to work on a 302 and smaller they WON'T work on a 351W. Already been there and done that. They are very hard to find for a 351W low mount. Factory 351W brackets are expensive.

Gary Lewis 03-04-2014 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Piston Honda (Post 14133302)
OK, I thought it was the other way.:-newbie

My cap does have a filter in there, but it looks like a lot of stuff could get through it. That's why I thought the air direction was reversed and the filter was just keeping dirt and debris from falling into the heads. It's probably a better option to go with the stock one then.

The cheap ones have a screen capable of keeping rocks out. Not what I want. But the better ones have a true filter - and that's the way I'm going.

Piston Honda 03-04-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14133407)
The cheap ones have a screen capable of keeping rocks out. Not what I want. But the better ones have a true filter - and that's the way I'm going.

That would explain the price difference, lol, 3$ vs 33$

What about the header gaskets, any one heard of Remflex? It looks like a quality product compared to the ones that came with the headers.

callen427 03-05-2014 12:35 AM

I cant believe you had that easy of a tie getting those bed bolts out. I soaked all of the nuts in PB blaster for two days and then I to my 1/2 inch impact to them striped out the bed. Than I welded nuts to the top of the carriage bolts and heated up the nuts that weren't next to the fuel tank. I got one off and the other broke. I had to take an air hammer to the other two. Pain in the ACE!

ArdWrknTrk 03-05-2014 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 14133370)
Been there done that, all of the cheap ones on Ebay are listed for 289/302/351W. If they're made to work on a 302 and smaller they WON'T work on a 351W. They are very hard to find for a 351W low mount. Factory 351W brackets are expensive.

Ah, that must be why JBG sells that little adapter piece.

I see a market here.

Piston Honda 03-05-2014 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by callen427 (Post 14133905)
I cant believe you had that easy of a tie getting those bed bolts out. I soaked all of the nuts in PB blaster for two days and then I to my 1/2 inch impact to them striped out the bed. Than I welded nuts to the top of the carriage bolts and heated up the nuts that weren't next to the fuel tank. I got one off and the other broke. I had to take an air hammer to the other two. Pain in the ACE!

Did you use a torch at all?

callen427 03-05-2014 02:29 PM

Sure did until cherry red. I really like what you have done so far! Is that por15 a really tough paint? I a in the process of welding in new cab corners and rocker panels on my 85 F250.

Piston Honda 03-05-2014 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by callen427 (Post 14135520)
Sure did until cherry red. I really like what you have done so far! Is that por15 a really tough paint? I a in the process of welding in new cab corners and rocker panels on my 85 F250.

I guess I just got lucky with the bed bolts. I have to say that the POR 15 is the strongest paint I've seen. I wouldn't say that it's good looking paint, but it definitely is tough! Prep is key also.

callen427 03-05-2014 04:07 PM

I was wondering id you have had any luck finding interior panels? I cant find an actual dash. I am not a fan of the dash cover pads. Also I can not find the kick panels anywhere!! My truck is missing them and I have had junk yards or the web.