Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   The unofficial Big Job thread. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/666806-the-unofficial-big-job-thread.html)

56panelford 01-01-2017 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Effies 56 (Post 16833583)
Folks,
Picture of the Big Job F800 I looked at yesterday. It was tucked away in a old shed.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...6/DSC06822.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...6/DSC06847.jpg
Happy New Year!
Regards,
Chris

Is it yours now Chris...?

Effies 56 01-01-2017 08:42 PM

John,
No!
(the long story)
I have not made a offer on it. After looking at the truck I see all the things that need touched. Yea just about every part of the truck. Which is not unusual for a machine of this age. But it has not had a real easy life. And the price the owner is asking is about the same as the real nice awesome red fire truck I seen on here that someone is looking at.
On the positive side this Big Job is probably in a lot better shape than a lot of the projects I see folks on here start with! Most sheet metal looks ok. It has not had any body work done on it that I can see.
So I am still looking! Trying to convince myself that I don't need another big project.

I am open to any comments/ suggestion. But I belong to several other forums and most folks are so passionate about these type of projects they seldom discourage folks like me on the edge of the window to step back inside the building! They may give you a gentle push too!:)
Someone said look at it with both eyes open. Trying to do that.
BTW I put a bunch more pictures of the F800 on a post I started. I just don't do links very well yet.
I love your panel truck! You did a awesome job during the build of that truck. That color looks about the same as the wife's new Edge.
Regards,
Chris

truckdog62563 01-01-2017 09:23 PM

Enablers!!?? There's certainly none of them here. No sir, none here. Stu

Mervy49 01-01-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 16835131)
Enablers!!?? There's certainly none of them here. No sir, none here. Stu

Nope, I can't think of any either.
:-X19:-X19

Effies 56 01-02-2017 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stu, Earl, (my middle name is Earl)
Yea right! No enablers! Right!
Its the age of instant gratification and need for instant feed back, guess that's why I am bugging you guys. That coupled with the insane urge to make something out of nothing,(I have had that problem from a young age) like a old truck project! Riding the forums makes it look easy! I know its not!
Its causing me to loose sleep thinking about all the potential neat toys that a old fart could have, and/ or be working on! Sinking tons of money and time into them, when I really need to be building a new kitchen for the little women, or playing shuffle board in some trailer park in Florida! There I said it, I feel a little better, but not much, since I didn't get much sleep!:)

Anyone ever take a Big job and do a modern 4 x 4 conversion on it? Just thinking out loud! Na! That's too big of a project for this old guy. I have enough trouble getting things cleaned and painted and back together in somewhat of a stock looking condition! I have done 5 tractor projects since I retired 3 years ago.

Crap just remembered I need a garage/ workshop built to do something like this Big Job project and shed all the other projects (big toys). We all have our cross to bear! Sorry for rambling!

This is a Big Job thread.
So here is a picture just to stay with that theme and get us back on track:
Attachment 209800
Regards,
Chris

56panelford 01-02-2017 07:25 PM

That looks like a nice truck Earl..:)

Bartman1959 01-04-2017 06:15 PM

Chris, I'm not quite sure how big of a "big job" you're wanting to do, but this site has some pretty good project trucks on it.
TRUCKS FOR SALE

Effies 56 01-05-2017 08:21 PM

Bartman,
Thanks! I will check it out also. Its not that I cant do it. I just am now getting wiser about picking my projects. I try to envison what I might do with the project after completion. The Big Job would be pretty much a parade truck or a local car show truck. Which would be fine too. Still thinking on this one!
Regards,
Chris

Bartman1959 01-06-2017 03:27 PM

Chris,
You're welcome. I totally understand being picky about what to start on. When I bought my 48 F-1, I had originally bought a 49 F-1, but every piece of sheet metal needed major repairs. I spent about a week online finding everything I needed, then by chance checked CL, and saw my 48. It was tons nicer, had a 10 y/o resto, but hadn't been started in a few years. I actually bought it "sight unseen," just pictures. He had three other guys with appointments to come look at it when I wired him the money. My son and I picked up the next day. I sold the 49 for what I paid for it.

Effies 56 01-06-2017 04:39 PM

Bartman,
I looked at that site with the ND trucks for sale. Good selection. And gave me some ideas of price range. So this Big Job I am looking at. which the wife is not on board with, is in the same price range, as some listed from the upper north US. And the body may not be in too bad of condition, since it has set inside for about 15 years. Just never know till you put a sander to the exterior. No big obvious rust out.
It has been repainted at least once, could be looked at as a protective coating. Everything frame wise is crusty and rusty. Lots and lots of cleaning. cab is a mess but complete.
I checked with local NAPA and they just laughed when I asked them about brake parts for a F800! Not a good sign.
I see tranny leaking fluid from somewhere. Its all wet. seals to replace?
I am pretty sure the 317 would come back to life and maybe still have some miles without a rebuild. But that is really a 50-50 chance.
I add this all up and like most projects you get way more into them than you can ever get out of them. That is pretty typical for these type of projects.
Not trying to sound negative.
This may go on the back burner for a while and let it simmer.
Back to Big Jobs.
So why do the Big Job owners love them? Some of the finished ones I see look awesome! I have never driven one. Just rambling.
Great forum here.
Regards,
Chris

Bartman1959 01-07-2017 08:43 AM

Parts, you'd eventually find, but getting the wife on board may be another story. Good luck on both fronts.

Effies 56 01-10-2017 08:08 AM

Bartman,
Do you have some pictures of your truck on here?
Regards,
Chris

pilot31 04-13-2017 04:47 PM

1948-1951 Ford F-7/8 truck motor running. Had a sticky valve, and now it's freed up. Lots of MMO in the intake and valves so she smoked a bit!
Now I have to adjust the lifters, a bit noisy for me.

pilot31 04-15-2017 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some chrome, stainless on the hood and lower fender extension installed. No the hood is not adjusted yet.

pilot31 04-15-2017 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more view.