Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Newbie 85 f250 frame off resto (Image Heavy) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1267940-newbie-85-f250-frame-off-resto-image-heavy.html)

ArdWrknTrk 02-24-2014 10:46 PM

Ouch, you bought the Painless harness.

You are going to have to cut into that and separate a couple of wires for the timing retard to function properly.

Do a web search i think you'll find out what I'm talking about.

Good luck.

Piston Honda 02-24-2014 11:08 PM

Is the painless harness any good? I thought it wouldn't require any modification to work. I searched for the timing retard issue but found nothing.

FordFETruck 02-25-2014 02:34 AM

Those headers look great, looks like you can get a socket wrench on most of the bolts, too. I did all of mine by hand with the 6912 HKR's I have. I even used an milodon header bolt kit with a one size smaller head than the supplied bolts. Had to use two supplied bolts, the milodon bolts were longer than supplied and wouldn't make it past a bend on each header. Next time I will use bolts with alan heads in the middle!

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Piston Honda (Post 14105071)
Is the painless harness any good? I thought it wouldn't require any modification to work. I searched for the timing retard issue but found nothing.

I'm sure the Painless harness is just fine in most regards.
Not trying to knock it.

Their harness may have changed in the years since I tried to set one of these up in John's red Pantera.
IIRC, there was a splice in the Painless 'retard' wire that basically kept the timing retard hot at all times.

Piston Honda 02-25-2014 11:12 AM

ArdWrknTrk, what pulley did you use for your 3G upgrade?

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 11:13 AM

I used the one that was already on my 2G alternator.

Piston Honda 02-25-2014 11:18 AM

You didn't have a double groove pulley?

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 11:24 AM

Yes, I do.
The A.I.R. pumps are driven off the alternator.

Piston Honda 02-25-2014 11:51 AM

I'm going to try getting my old pulley off. Have you had any problems with the belt squealing or is everything good, because I've heard of some people having that issue switching from a serpentine pulley to a v belt pulley.

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 12:32 PM

Just use an impact gun.

When I first installed it I would get a little screech at startup.
Maybe that was just the new belt stretching?
Bead blasted the pulley and installed a LRC regulator.

Everyone says that a single V belt is only good for 90-100A
I don't think I have any reason to exceed that.
Even jumpstarting numerous cars this winter I haven't had it slip.

Mostly I'm happy because the 3G can put out as much at idle as the 2G could at redline.

Piston Honda 02-25-2014 12:39 PM

I used an impact to get the nut off, but then impatient me, I hit the shaft with a hammer because the pulley was stuck on there and now the shaft is mushroomed. I should have used a puller or at least used a punch as to not damage the shaft.

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 12:51 PM

Don't use a puller if you risk distorting the pulley.

Mine came off pretty easily.
Is there corrosion on the shaft?

Piston Honda 02-25-2014 01:34 PM

Mine.......not so easy. There is corrosion on the threads but not where the pulley was seated. It's not mushroomed real bad, but enough to keep the pulley from coming off. Maybe I'll try running a die over the shaft.

Hey, it's a little off topic but I've been meaning to tell you thats a nice looking pup. Check out my co pilot, he's my avatar now. I had been trying to figure out how to put a pic there, after I chose the pic a window would come up reading "file failed to upload" and now it's there, weird.

ArdWrknTrk 02-25-2014 01:58 PM

Try some PB Blaster and hitting the pulley with a torch.
It should expand enough to break free.

He certainly looks 'cool'! :D

Gary Lewis 02-25-2014 09:51 PM

Cool pup. The other pics were too large. FTE only takes up to a certain size and then "fails to load" them.