Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1154885-hio-silvers-lo-buck-bumpside-build.html)

hivoltj 03-22-2017 08:45 AM

Yup, I've rebuilt the entire fuel system in my wife's bump thanks to sitting with ethanol gas in the tank prior to us picking it up. Started with a sunk float, ended with a carb rebuild. All soft parts in between replaced

kenwoodul 04-01-2017 04:09 PM

Power Disc Conversion

1 Attachment(s)
Hello HIO

Getting started on my power disc conversion on my 68 flare side. Currently manual drums. I've got What I'm told is a 68 power drum booster setup, and also one from a 75 F 150. Also have suspension from a 73 F100 already sandblasted and painted.

Anything wrong with using a drum brake booster with a disc/drum system? Seems to me that would be the simplest from a pedal linkage setup. The 68 setup has an adjustable push rod that should mate up with the existing pedal. The 75 setup is a little. Ore complicated and isn't adjustable.Attachment 179825
Any advice?

Thx

Ken

Uni Moe 04-01-2017 04:17 PM

I think the 68 set up will be fine and bolt on. I think the boosters were the same whether disc or drum. You should test the booster to ensure it's okay and as for the master cylinder you will need one for disc/drum. You probably won't have room for the 76 booster.

Uni Moe 04-01-2017 04:32 PM

The 76 master cylinder will fit but you might want to buy a new one.

kenwoodul 04-01-2017 04:34 PM

Thanks Uni Moe!

HIO Silver 04-01-2017 05:52 PM

Concur with UniMoe. Additionally, I recommend getting an aftermarket proportioning valve.

The 75 booster will also work but you may find that the brake pedal will set a lil lower.

kenwoodul 04-02-2017 05:24 PM

Thanks. Got a Wilwood proportioning valve on the way. Thought about seeing what you'd take for another custom fabricated bracket, but I'll try Wilwood's version first.

Really appreciate all of the great intel and advice.

HIO Silver 04-23-2017 12:45 PM

News.... me and a buddy joined up with a 24 Hours of Lemons race team. We'll be racing... a truck! This will be interesting.

24 Hours of Lemons Pinewood Dirtbags

On my own truck scene, I'm down to working on one rental home.. the other two are rented out and doing well.

Not much work on the LBB, the War Machine, or Project Big Red Dick. My Ferrari was down for allegedly overheating cats... it has thermocouples after each catalytic converter and a bad signal is being sent to the ECUs thus cutting off power to roughly the HP of a Yugo. I just replaced the SDCs which translates the thermocouple signals so hopefully that fixes it. If not, then I gotta replace the thermocouples which, in turn, means pulling the inlet air box to get a them.. not fun.

monkey-1 04-23-2017 02:00 PM

Great read here, Hio! It has taken me over a week to read the whole thing, but totally worth it. Truck turned out awesome, quite the sleeper for sure!

abyars111 04-23-2017 09:40 PM

24 hours of Lemons!! I'm envious. I love those races. I was sad in February, something came up and I didn't make it to Barber to see the first race of the season.

TeachNlive4ever 04-24-2017 07:43 AM

We did the 24 hrs of Lemons back 07 or 08 in a 94 tempo standard. Take mucho tires, brakes and a radiator or 2 in our case.
Invite all your like minded friends and family. It was just as much fun for the spectators as for the racers. Take lots of pics and video. Share with us the jalopnik link too.

HIO Silver 05-31-2017 08:35 PM

QUIK POST:

.. ran Lemons and personally didn't reach my goal. Good learning experience and now I know what it takes since it was a start to finish experience. Yes, our lil Chevy Luv was able to check the checkers although not a win.

.. last week I bought an oil burner. I'm rolling coal!!!!

More details later!

71Nky 06-04-2017 08:10 PM

You have a project called Big Red Dick? I actually laughed out loud at that. Still laughing. I love it!

Did you guys at least have fun at the Lemons run?

kenwoodul 07-05-2017 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok now I've got another master cylinder question. Just had an "oh crap moment"....

Using a '68 master cylinder with a Wilwood proportioning valve. Got the lines from the MC to the PV in.

Front of MC to the FI port, rear of MC to the RI port.

Then realized on a typical MC the front reservoir usually operates the rear brakes....and vise versa....

Did I do this backwards?

SteveJH 07-05-2017 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenwoodul (Post 17308022)
Ok now I've got another master cylinder question. Just had an "oh crap moment"....

Using a '68 master cylinder with a Wilwood proportioning valve. Got the lines from the MC to the PV in.

Front of MC to the FI port, rear of MC to the RI port.

Then realized on a typical MC the front reservoir usually operates the rear brakes....and vise versa....

Did I do this backwards?

The circuit with the bigger reservoir (closest to the firewall) is for the primary circuit, the front brakes.