Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1004055-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

ArdWrknTrk 03-20-2015 06:32 PM

An old trick we used with British bikes was to clean everything with carb or brake cleaner (dry as a bone) and spray on Desenex foot powder.
Everything was white and leaks show up right away.

FordFETruck 03-20-2015 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 15195737)
I don't have a top bracket.
My battery bolts down with a little 'shoe'
New group 65 Gold cost me $100 out the door.

What brand do you have?

Even the parts stores want the same for the cheapies as the Motorcraft.

ArdWrknTrk 03-20-2015 08:08 PM

It's a Advance Autocraft.
I posted about my dead battery a few weeks ago.
I suppose they are all made by the same Big Three battery makers.

bruno2 03-20-2015 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 15192575)
Boy, you have all the luck right now. How'd you do that?

Just wear I suppose 264K. I didnt beat on it. I heard something like a wicked exhaust leak while I was driving. I kept trying to figure out what the sound was. t didnt sound anything like drive trane issues. I thought I was loosing a head or had lifted one.However, it was only making the noise on the pulling side of the gear and not the coast. So I stop at the light and when I take off I hear a loud clank clank clank! I pulled over to see if anything obvious was broken. I shook the shaft and there was about a full 1/4 rotation of back lash before it got solid.

Took it back to the shop and had James come out. As soon as I pulled the plug it was obvious something was wrong. Then I dropped the cover to find all kinds of trinkets and loot in it. The pinion shaft had walked so far over it chewed the carrier up. Looks like an extra gear in there. I will post some pics, but it will be next weekend before I have the time and money to tear into it. Really I dont have either one, but I almost stuck the Dodge on a job site today that Whitey would have walked all over. So I need my workhorse back!

bruno2 03-20-2015 08:11 PM

Those of you guys in the know about the Sterlings I have a question or two.

Are the carriers ratio specific?

Are there multiple spline counts for the axles?

I keep seeing 1992 as a cut off date for certain carriers and mine is a 96. So is this an ABS issue?

ArdWrknTrk 03-20-2015 09:11 PM

I think '92 is the start of long pinion.

ArdWrknTrk 03-20-2015 11:43 PM

Hogtrapper has a thread going where he links an article discussing the differences in short, long and 10.5" axles.

I'm pretty sure axle splines are all the same but carriers and gears are different for 4.10 and up ratios.
I split my carrier in '06 or so and IIRC had to get the 'right' one.

Gary Lewis 03-21-2015 07:42 AM

Well, at least you have the right guy on the job - James. He sure did a good job on Rusty's and Dad's 9" diffs. As well as the t-case and driveshafts for Dad's. Hope you find the right carrier.

bruno2 03-21-2015 08:08 AM

Just looking around at parts I am finding they are a little more reasonable than what I was expecting.I am still looking at $1000 in parts probably. There is no telling until I get it torn down though. A new loaded carrier (pinion gears, side gears and clutches) is less than $300. A complete ring gear kit with all the bearings is less than $400. I still need a U joint and pinion yoke which will be around $100. Hopefully I don't need any axles, but it would be silly not to do the axle bearings and seals while it is down.

Gary Lewis 03-21-2015 08:17 AM

Then you'll be good for another 275K miles? ;)

As for what I did "to" my truck, I continued the installation of the brake controller and wiring on Rusty. But, I also drove a 2015 F150 that may replace him. Poor Rusty, always a bridesmaid.

bruno2 03-21-2015 08:21 AM

The guys over at Pirate 4x4 are saying the carriers are all the same. The only issue with difference is the length of the pinion shaft as Jim was saying. So the ring gear set has to be the correct one , but an LS carrier is an LS.

Gary, You are not going to want to work the 2015. A beater has its place. This is why I need to get Whitey back online. My good truck is covered with mud inside and out right now because he is down.

Gary Lewis 03-21-2015 08:52 AM

Branden - I was given "an offer I can't refuse". While driving Rusty and towing our new-to-us 23' boat home from OKC, and bouncing significantly, Janey suggested I sell the Murano and Rusty and get a new truck. So, I'm doing the homework and even drove a new one yesterday.

FordFETruck 03-21-2015 08:53 AM

But the rough ride is all part of the experience!

Gary Lewis 03-21-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by FordFETruck (Post 15197174)
But the rough ride is all part of the experience!

We plan to take the boat to Lake Powell, and that's 1000 miles each way. And, on top of the rough ride there's the wind noise, engine noise, and lack of A/C. So, I think she realized that 2000 miles of "experience" was more than she is ready for.

ctubutis 03-21-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 15197162)
...and even drove a new one yesterday.

This is real dangerous to do; I test-drove a Challenger Hellcat and would LOVE one of those! But I could purchase a small house for the price of one... or payments would be over $1k a month for 5 years, and nevermind insurance and maintenance.

But you get into these new things and everything just feels sooooooo nice. :)
But then when you return to reality and get back into your own buggy, you realize what a POS it is...

For something like Rusty, I imagine they'd maybe give you scrap value for it, figure out the dollar amount based on its net weight.