Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   Looking for other C series owners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/917409-looking-for-other-c-series-owners.html)

Kristoph.donaldson 10-31-2012 04:11 AM

Hi all new to the forum and big trucks as well. I just bought my first one last weekend. It is a 1973 C700 with a 390 industrial motor and a 5-speed with a 2-speed Eaton rear. I will try to figure out how to post pictures up soon. Been reading through the forum and looks like there is a lot of good info on here. Look forward to joinin the stupid big truck club. :)

madrid london 11-02-2012 09:16 AM

service manual

faxonauto.com ; is in Riverside Ca. 800-458-2734. is where i got my 1973 "Complete" Ford service manual ;parts list , plus wiring diagram. none of these have been a source redemption. i still end up on FTE asking questions. you would think, i need to check the oil in my manual transmission. well there is a maintenance section and a lube section and the parts illustrations. well it says eight quarts of sae 50 oil but the fill hole will not allow you to put more than 4 quarts ??? i think i read "somewhere" to fill throught the speedometer cable!!!!!!!! it must have been a joke/prank on "shade tree mechanics". the wiring diagram, i doubt was followed except right after delivery to customer who, went about wiring it in his/her own sadistic idea of the right way to do things.
i guess i expected alot more for my $50.00

v8steel 12-04-2012 11:36 PM

New C-guy

I have been looking for a decent affordable C-series for years and just got a '76 C-800 retired firetruck with 14K miles. The cab is in great shape, except for one small place of rust at the back of the driver fender. I think I will take a "stab" at fixing it myself. The tank is rusty so it will be removed. Is there any value in the pump and valves?

Right now, I have removed the carburetor for replacement/rebuild. If anybody has knowledge of the XD 389 and the Holley-governed setup, I would like to hear from you. What do I need to do with the 2nd vacuum connection to the distributor (low on the dist housing) if I have to replace the carburetor?

I haven't decided what will go on the back yet. It will likely become a ramp truck since I can't get my fill of old cars and trucks and am always hauling something.

I just read this entire thread and look forward to hearing more stories. Keep them coming.
Thanks, Bill
Richmond, VA

TinyDog 01-11-2013 09:04 PM

I love my "C" truck!

I have a C600 dump truck and I think it's the coolest thing I own!
Check out my pics and let me know what you think.

Fordguy777891 01-21-2013 02:34 AM

First Time In The Big Leagues

This weekend i am going to be looking at a 1958 C600 with a dump box. This is the first time i will have had an exposure to the C-Series. However, im not new to fords, i still few a little out of my league with these still. Are there any "common" problems i should be looking for?
I plan on doing a "restromod" and converting it to either a ramp truck, or a roll off, to be used as a car hauler for my Toys.

The listing has the following info
1958 Ford C600 cabover grain truck/livestock truck/anything you want truck.
Has
*Hydraulic dump box
*5 speed with 2 speed rear axle
*390 4v power brakes.
* Excellent condition for age. Runs well.
http://images.craigslist.org/3Ff3N53...ea4a49185d.jpg

*Edit Note;
Meant to start a new thread, sorry for wrong post placement.

TinyDog 01-22-2013 04:40 PM

C Series

Thanks for the pic! She's a good looking truck for sure. I think you'll be happy that it has a 390, great engine. My 62 has a 292 wich really limits my options on alot of things but it runs good. Good luck with your project I'll be watching for more up dates.

JEFF57 03-22-2013 02:17 PM

1984 C-7000 parts

Hi,

Just bought a 1984 C-7000 cabover, was an Airborne Express delivery truck, 24' box, 3208 cat., hyd brakes, power sterring, 9000 gvw front axel/total 28,000
Need some parts, drag link, front disk pads and rear brake cylinder...when I look many options how do I choose for my truck

dmanlyr 03-27-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by JEFF57 (Post 12979979)
Hi,

Just bought a 1984 C-7000 cabover, was an Airborne Express delivery truck, 24' box, 3208 cat., hyd brakes, power sterring, 9000 gvw front axel/total 28,000
Need some parts, drag link, front disk pads and rear brake cylinder...when I look many options how do I choose for my truck

Several tips I can pass along to you -

#1 Make friends with NumberDummy - He is the parts guru

#2 Get the proper Ford parts manual for your truck

#3 know exactly what Ford calls a particular part, not what you think it should be called, but the proper nomenclature as used by Ford so you can use Ford's parts manuals.

#4 Use your serial number as so noted in the parts manual

#5 Be aware that your truck may have been modified over the years, and may or may not still be equipped as produced.

#6 Be aware that most items are obsolete, so again, refer to #1 and hopefully NB will use his obsolete parts sources to find you what need.

David

JEFF57 03-28-2013 11:08 AM

Thanks

I have learned almost all of those suggestions in a very short time.

I have one more to add;

Mark from fordheavyparts.com is also a genius and has skills...took the time to help and school me if I bought from him or not.

cornwelltoolman 04-20-2013 03:46 PM

Proud onwer of a 86 c700 here

dmanlyr 04-20-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by cornwelltoolman (Post 13083857)
Proud onwer of a 86 c700 here

Glad to hear that and welcome!

David

zwknhmr 05-15-2013 01:53 PM

Hello C900 fans,

My name is Rodger and I just bought a '67 C900 Ford/Van Pelt fire truck. It was in service at the Mokoloumne Hill, Ca. I am more at home with a wrench in my hand than a computer, so when I figure out how to post pictures, I will. It is in really great condition with one small problem. The steering box has about a quarter turn of play in it. I could use info on where to find a replacement or a good rebuilder.

Thanks,
Rodger

dmanlyr 05-15-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by zwknhmr (Post 13164564)
Hello C900 fans,

My name is Rodger and I just bought a '67 C900 Ford/Van Pelt fire truck. It was in service at the Mokoloumne Hill, Ca. I am more at home with a wrench in my hand than a computer, so when I figure out how to post pictures, I will. It is in really great condition with one small problem. The steering box has about a quarter turn of play in it. I could use info on where to find a replacement or a good rebuilder.

Thanks,
Rodger

Welcome! I used Red Head steering gears in Seattle, Washington. They did a good job and have a good overall reputation on FTE

I am looking forward to the pictures. Do you have any particular plans for the truck?

David

zwknhmr 05-17-2013 01:06 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome. No real plans for the fire truck, just a big toy. I took it to my grandson's 5th birthday and was the hit of the party.

Rodger

dmanlyr 05-17-2013 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by zwknhmr (Post 13169951)
Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome. No real plans for the fire truck, just a big toy. I took it to my grandson's 5th birthday and was the hit of the party.

Rodger

Rodger,

That sounds like a good use for the truck. I bet the kids loved it. Is it still equipped with the lights and siren?

David