Conversation Between offwhitefueler and Fastback460
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Fastback460
    04-25-2017 03:53 PM - permalink
    The next time I'm at the scrapyard I'll keep my eyes open for you. The fuel tank switch shouldn't be too hard to find around here, I actually might even have one in my pile of spare parts . But license plate lights usually go pretty fast, especially the chrome ones, and visors can be hard to find in decent shape (as you already know) What color visors do you need by the way? I don't remember the color of your interior.

And you can talk as much as you want, I enjoy our conversations

-Jake
  2. Fastback460
    04-25-2017 03:53 PM - permalink
    I have been hunting for a nice set of mirrors for my truck for a couple years now. Mine still work fine but are just corroded and nasty looking after 20 years. I'm not really sure on your issue with the mirror, I've never had one fall off before, mine are usually frozen in place....lol. But as far as I know they are just attached with a bolt at the bottom of them. I've also been searching for a front bumper for my truck since the rust is starting to come through the front of mine

What happened to you at the scrapyard sounds horrible I would be pretty ticked if that happened to me.

Have you considered maybe taking your visors to an upholstery shop? A good shop should be able to match up the same color and material and make them look like they did from the factory.
  3. offwhitefueler
    04-25-2017 11:00 AM - permalink
    So now I've got a good list going of stuff I need. Right now my passenger side mirror falls if someone slams the door hard enough. I don't get many passengers, but it drives me nuts! I have an old stick I keep under my seat to tap it because it's so far away once I'm behind the wheel. I can't seem to be able to tighten it. I'm assuming it's a ball joint inside?
    So many questions and not even 9am.
    Have a good day! Hope the weather stays nice. It's so windy here today I saw a girl on a bicycle tip right over. Haha.

I'll stop talking now!
    Christa
  4. offwhitefueler
    04-25-2017 10:43 AM - permalink
    I ended up standing with about thirty guys, waiting while a 90s F250 was being craned into the yard, and then watching the thirty guys surround it the second it touched the ground. Full tool sets, jacks, etc. In maybe 10 minutes all the tires, bumpers, doors, seats and side mirrors were off. It really bummed me out. Haha. I was standing there with one phillips and a little baby pry bar. Kind of hilarious. The only thing there were plenty of were the dome lights, which I regret not taking. Mine was working fine until a few days after I got back from the pick a part (of course).
  5. offwhitefueler
    04-25-2017 10:39 AM - permalink
    Hey Jake,
    73! Haha nice. I don't mind 80 degree heat as long as I don't have to move. Haha. I'm always cleaning the inside of my truck, but the seats and carpets are so full of dust, it's like it never ends! I can't quite figure out how to get it perfectly clean without using a wet vac and letting it dry out for a couple days. My streets are super super wide and I can't get close enough to the house. Excuses, excuses!
    Yeah both of my visors are shredded. I've been to a few pick a parts but out here there is NOTHING. I went looking for visors, the license plate chrome lamps, and the dual tank toggle button. Nothing fancy, because I really have no idea what I'm doing.
  6. Fastback460
    04-24-2017 07:09 PM - permalink
    I needed a sun visor in the worst way for mine last year, it was all just worn out and the foam was falling off like yours. So I was roaming the junkyard one day looking for an instrument cluster bezel and an ash tray, since mine wouldn't stay shut and I got sick of my spare change flying out every time I hit a bump...lol. And I came across a dusty old OBS that looked like it had been there for 10 years, and it had both visors, the bezel, and the ashtray all in the right color. So about 10 minutes and $20 later I drove out there a happy man! So I would recommend searching a few scrap yards first, you never know what you might find.

I hope all is well out in Cali. I've never been there before, but maybe I'll get out there one day.
  7. Fastback460
    04-24-2017 07:09 PM - permalink
    Hey Christa,

I'm doing great! The weather is so much nicer now, it actually hit 73 today, so I got to spend the entire day working outside without a coat on for once. I actually love the heat...lol, It would be perfect for me if it was 80 degrees everyday.
    I live in the Northeastern part of PA in Bradford County, our closest Target store is actually in NY, which is about a 1 hr drive.

I spent actually most of my Saturday detailing my truck inside and out for the first time this year, but for some reason I didn't take any pics. Next weekend I might give it a buff and wax if I can find the time.
  8. offwhitefueler
    04-24-2017 12:55 PM - permalink
    Hey Jake,

How's the weather out there? All I know about PA is that every time I've driven through I can't believe how humid it is. I'm a ninny when it comes to heat! Where in PA are you?
    Did you get that truck washed? Haha. Just took mine to the quarter do it yourself place and spent about $900 because it takes me so long with the hoses getting caught on the bumpers and not being able to reach the roof.
    I'm looking for a quick, doable project... Thinking the sun visors- mine are shredded and leave all kinds of dust and crumbles in my hair, haha. I'd buy new ones but I can't find any that match. So that might be fun.
    Hope you're good and enjoying spring!

Christa
  9. Fastback460
    03-31-2017 08:39 AM - permalink
    Apparently I hit the 1000 character limit in my last message

My truck is a muddy mess right now from the snow melting and turning our dirt road into a mud pit, but I'll try to get some more pics if I ever get it clean again....lol

Nice talking to you again, enjoy that nice weather you have
    Jake
  10. Fastback460
    03-31-2017 08:33 AM - permalink
    Yeah I'm about sick of the cold now, I'm ready for spring. But unfortunately we probably won't see 60's everyday at least another 3-4 weeks.

I agree with just fixing what you have, especially if you really like the truck and have fun driving it. I know a few guys who have been through 3-4 trucks in the 6 years that I've had mine. I try to convince them to just fix it when it breaks, but they'd rather just buy something newer. I plan on keeping my truck as long as I possibly can, and I'll just pick up some little 4cyl POS if I ever need better mpg for long trips

I've never owned a diesel myself, but I have heard the opposite about the 80's 90's ford's. Most people that I talk to say the early 90's IDI are the cheapest, most reliable diesels ever, And the later 90's Powerstroke's are most powerful engines that Ford ever made. But everyone has their opinions, so who really knows

Jake