Conversation Between WyoBull and WYflyfisher
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. WYflyfisher
    05-08-2017 08:29 PM - permalink
    Apparently my inbox was full so didn't receive a message you tried to send. Could you resend? Thanks. Bob
  2. WYflyfisher
    04-13-2017 11:35 PM - permalink
    Scott, it's the rear awning that's giving us a problem - we don't have a side awning. It was a factory install. I wouldn't worry so much about the rear axle weight - the tires are the real limiting factor. Why they give it a 6100 rating is more to do with the tires than the actual capacity of the axle. We'll probably be a little over unless filling the water tank shifts some of the weight forward. We're taking the camper off tomorrow for the first time since we still seem to have a problem with one of the air bags. Need to get it moved over a little so the camper sits square on it. You would think that Bozeman Ford would have done a better install - probably just didn't tighten the bolts enough. Bob
  3. WYflyfisher
    04-11-2017 10:57 PM - permalink
    Scott, Tried the awning for the first time yesterday and it didn't work right. Canvas starting unrolling but arms didn't go out right away and then suddenly did, but not exactly at the same time. Talked to Ken who installs the awnings at 5-Star. He is going to send a couple of small rubber bumpers with instructions as to where to install them - probably to keep the awning arms a little away from the camper so they go out easier. Randy only extended the awning a couple of feet when we were there and it seemed alright.
    Bob
  4. WYflyfisher
    04-07-2017 07:23 PM - permalink
    Almost all of the weight from the truck camper will typically be on the rear axle which was the case when I weighed it. And I noticed that the COG sticker is above or even maybe a little rear of the axle which is not ideal. I am hoping that a little weight will be transferred to the front axle when we finish loading it up, including the water. Using the storage areas in the cab-over for heavier items helps. The 6100 axle maximum is determined by the tire rating, but even if you put on higher capacity tires, the axle rating doesn't change. We found when we got close to the maximum load rating on our tires on previous rig, the tires really heated up. We should be at least 300 under on each tire with this setup. Bob
  5. WYflyfisher
    04-06-2017 10:40 PM - permalink
    Forgot to tell you that I weighed the truck with camper today - 9,876 but when you add the water, more gas, "stuff" and wife and dog, should be about 10,600. The rear axle was 6,088 and the 2017 F250's limit is 6,340 so that's good. Northern Lite should really update its weight numbers on the website and brochure. Sportsman is over 300 heavier than advertised.
  6. WYflyfisher
    04-06-2017 10:17 PM - permalink
    Scott, finished the rod holder - had to move the clock down a little. Only had to put a couple of small screws in the woodwork. Will see about figuring out how to post a photo. Never fished the North Platte, but one of my good friends that lived in Laramie fished it all the time. You should have a good time. I'll be spending most of the time from Memorial Day weekend to the third week of June fishing mostly the Fire Hole - not big fish like the North Platte though but nice dry fly fishing. Worked on the camper most of today and pretty well set. Will summerize it May 4th.
    Bob
  7. WYflyfisher
    04-05-2017 03:35 PM - permalink
    Scott, sorry - typo, the weight is 2,640. The biggest project I have is to make a fly rod holder that will hold three rods. The handles ends will be held in a bracket just above the clock and the rods will be supported again on a bracket on the upper framework of the cabover entrance. The rods will need to slide a bit for entrance to the closet and to keep them from poking me in the eye when getting out of bed. I was a toolmaker so I do enjoy these projects. Busy fitting the cabinets with shelves also. Just cut the sink cover in half so wife will have counter space and available sink also. The large cover wasn't very convenient. Bob
  8. WYflyfisher
    04-05-2017 12:18 AM - permalink
    Could have had better weather for the trip down. Hated driving in the Denver area traffic (and we're from Connecticut). Had a problem with one of the airbags driving back - had slipped forward. Drove carefully and managed to have it fixed late today when we got home (it was a Ford dealer install). That is some operation that they have at 5-Star. Randy didn't really have to spend much time going over the unit with us since it isn't that much different from what we had, and we really wanted to beat the bad weather.
    I only have an inch clearance in the middle of the top of the truck cab so am thinking about putting a 3/4" piece of plywood under the rubber mat. How's your clearance?
  9. WYflyfisher
    04-05-2017 12:07 AM - permalink
    Well, we made it home with the NL. Camped at the KOA in Douglas last night and discovered that we had missed one omission to the camper - it had no medicine cabinet. Called Jay/Bill this morning, and found out that the Sportsman doesn't have one, which is ridiculous - no mirror in the bathroom? Bill is working on it. The Sportsman has everything else so why wouldn't it have a medicine cabinet? Apparently only comes on the SE but not listed in standard feature or as option. Interestingly, the weight is 3,640 so the glass windows, blinds and extra valances seem to add a little weight. You'd think without the side awning, rear patio, TV, oven, privacy curtain, runner carpet, the weight would have been less. But still glad we got the Sportsman for the way we use it. The storage is decent. Can't wait for some warmer weather.
  10. WYflyfisher
    03-28-2017 05:48 PM - permalink
    To clarify last post, we only turn off the fridge, not the propane. Does the storage by the water heater get warm? If so, perhaps better for towels than food. I think we'll overnight at the Wellington/N. Fort Collins KOA on our way back so will have a chance to get a feel for the new camper. Loading our Alpenlite on the new truck made us nervious - didn't want to scratch up the new truck already. The NL will be much easier since it doesn't have the waste tank box sticking out on the side which gives us just a half inch clearance.