Conversation Between F150Torqued and harveje
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. F150Torqued
    08-07-2017 11:02 PM - permalink
    The Technotes is GOOD information. I did not know there was a camshaft difference between the 2004 - 2005 ^. With the different angle in the CAM>Phaser alignment pin, the Crankshaft HAS TO have a different throw angle. That explains how a forum member bought a new head that trashed all valves on it at startup! But I assure you, with the figure in the article, you could tell / identify if it were correct. So if you replace cams - take extra precaution to verify parts are going to match.

As for the lash adjusters - lifters at the end of the article, that is the FIRST thing I have seen (that appears authoritative) indicating a difference in lash adjusters between 2004 - 2005^. I wonder if the little grove has anything to do with its 'mating' with the roller follower. I replaced BOTH, so if there is a concern - I guess I skated by it. I've rolled past the 13,000 mile mark after my rebuild and everything still sounds quiet as a Mercedes and runs like a scalded dog.
  2. harveje
    08-07-2017 09:24 PM - permalink
    Thank you ...Now after reading http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-c...0000001381.pdf
    I'm really messed up...Freedom has some AM cams for $100 ea. that I was thinking about getting but now I don't know. Can you shed some light on this? For some reason I always end up with the most issue prone things Dangit..Since I'm going to be in there I thought heck change it all and close it up.. Again Thanks for the help..I'm fairly new to the modular motor mostly use to chevy and Cat..
  3. harveje
    08-04-2017 09:22 PM - permalink
    Thank you, can you advise me on lash adjusters and followers as to my trucks a 2004 can 05+ adjusters work? I see 2 diff part numbers and some I see 04-08+ fitment.If i use the crank lock tool will it put the engine in the correct position? Thanks,
  4. F150Torqued
    08-03-2017 10:52 PM - permalink
    "metal to aluminum sound" -- Sounds like chain slap. My description of the 5 second sound at startup was "marbles in a coffee can". Probably broken guides letting the long chain to contact the front cover. I would recommend replacing lash adjusters & roller/followers if you can (~ $360). Definitely remove & clean them and plan on replacing ANY that don't seem right while you are in there. A bad roller/follower will chew up a cam very quickly, and just a loose roller bearing or stuck lifter will produce an annoying "Tick"!
    *BE SURE to remove the pan and clean broken guides out of Oil Pickup screen.
    *YES, there is a SWEET SPOT. Be Sure the engine is set correctly BEFORE removing a cam chain. Refer to the 5.4L Engine Section of the Manual to set it to TDC on Cyl 1 compression stroke - before proceeding to remove chains / guides.
  5. harveje
    08-03-2017 07:41 PM - permalink
    Thanks, i'm thinking the guides or tensioners let loose , I can hear a metal to aluminum type sound. Since I'll be in there should I replace the lash adjusters and rockers? and if so is it as easy as locking the crank and removing the cams or is there a sweet spot she needs to be in? I'm trying to get a shopping list together and checking parts and prices if you know any good resources. Thanks for the help and information.
  6. F150Torqued
    07-30-2017 10:18 AM - permalink
    Be glad to. Can't attach stuff to these messages and you have private messages disabled. Send me a valid email address or PM. (Lockouts ?? I'm not in favor of them personally. The phasers serve a definite purpose (when functioning properly). That is the reason ALL modern engines employ them. Many are going to 4 phasers!

BUT...... If you have 'lockouts' --- What do you propose is giving you a diesel sound. That's about the ONLY thing lockouts are purported to do is stop all the phaser noise.
  7. harveje
    07-30-2017 12:19 AM - permalink
    Good evening, getting ready to tear into an 04 f150 4x4 5.4 that wants to sound like a diesel. Would you mind sending me a copy of the service manual? Thanks in advance and thanks for all the info on this forum. Also the truck currently has lockouts and tune would I be better off keeping that or installing new phasers? I'm on the fence. thanks,