Conversation Between Ibuildmyown and cdc3jj
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Ibuildmyown
    06-26-2015 10:19 AM - permalink
    I looked at no limit mounts and was not impressed with small aluminum blocks. I found a manual rack 05 Cobalt w/ electric assist. I got the rack, tie rods, and all linkage up to the sector. Made a bracket from angle iron 4"x2"x3/8" , trimmed off 2" side to 1" to keep it rigid. Made it long enough to reach both side spring hanger flanges on axle and had to notch each end to fit flush with back side of the axle. Then I mounted u-bolts at and slightly notched the axle to keep in place. Next I welded 2 3/8" thick tabs to the bracket to bolt rack on. I used the factory bolts and the tie rod ends. I had to shorten ends. The rack is inline with where the old drag link was. I had to shorten the stock column and weld a swivel in place. The slip shaft was under the dash at the electric unit. Splined and plenty long for movement up and down. When the truck moves 3" , the slip shaft moves 1". No wander and easy turn sitting still. I also used the stock brackets that came on the spindles.
  2. cdc3jj
    06-18-2015 12:58 PM - permalink
    Hello, I have a couple questions about that 05 cobalt rack you used on the straight axle. I'm looking into doing the same thing. What did you use for the slip steering shaft? And what tie rod ends did you use? I was looking at the no limit set up but I can't get them to respond to email and I don't really care about power steering anyways. Just want to remove the slop and keep my column shift. Thanks.