Conversation Between 52 USCG Panel and ct50f1
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8
  1. 52 USCG Panel
    01-15-2023 10:25 PM - permalink
    I'm glad you were able to accept Bob's comments with a spirit of grace and that you intend continue your connection with your virtual FTE friends. I contribute every once in a while to a wooden boat forum, but FTE is really the only social media I actively participate in, and like you, I feel as though I have friends here.

We don't have very much snow, but trails are still open here, and I was able to get some good skiing in Saturday. I was worried about icy condition, so I went to a trail with vitally no hills. Surprisingly, the tracks weren't icy at all.

Good luck with your truck, and I look forward to hearing from you now and then.

Jim
  2. ct50f1
    01-15-2023 09:01 PM - permalink
    Jim,

Thanks for your message. I really wasn't that offended by Bob's message although I can't see how he fits into the truck. My biggest problem is the angle I have to hold my foot to work the accelerator. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and i'm not a flexible as I used to be. Anyway, I ask a fellow who's an AACA senior judge what he thought it is worth and he did a "market analysis" for me. He came back and said it was in 2+ condition and was probably worth $35-45K. I think his estimate is a bit high but I'm planning to list it on Hemmings Auction in the spring with a $30K reserve and see if anyone bites.

The great thing about FTE is that even though you've never met the other guys, you end up feeling you know them personally. I think of you, Tom, Abe and others as friends and will probably continue to check in even if I sell the truck just to see how you're doing.

Dan
  3. 52 USCG Panel
    01-13-2023 09:06 PM - permalink
    Greetings. Bob was pretty dismissive of your concerns, and I didn't like to see that. I met Bob at the last two Truckstocks and was surprised at his flip response to your very real experience with your truck.

I've enjoyed our little O.T. back and forth about cross country skiing and snow conditions. Your Model A was your first love, and I hope you continue to enjoy it--nothing wrong with that. Just so you know, cars sometimes show up at Truckstocks and sometimes they are not even Fords. Good luck with the sale of your truck if that's what you decide to do. It's a beauty!

Jim
  4. ct50f1
    09-07-2020 09:21 PM - permalink
    Jim, I assume you were sending the message this morning to me, Dan, rather than Tom. I've been thinking about Abe's Truckstock and reading comments on the thread. Unfortunately, the truck's still isn't registered although I do have an appointment at DMV tomorrow morning. With a little luck I'll be driving it legally on the road tomorrow afternoon. I'm afraid though that 4 weeks will not be enough time for me to develop enough confidence in the truck to take off on a 700 mile round trip. I had hoped to get it on the road earlier in the summer and take a number of shake down trips to iron out any problems and build some confidence. Just one more casualty of this lousy virus. Hope you guys have a good time and that next year I'll be in a position to give the trip some serious consideration.

Dan
  5. 52 USCG Panel
    09-07-2020 10:16 AM - permalink
    Hi Tom. I'm trying to drum up interest in Abe's Truckstock event in October. I know you were having trouble getting your truck registered. Did you get that resolved? It would be great seeing you, and you know Abe loves green trucks. There is another guy from CT with a light blue truck that is maybe thinking of coming. Think about it. Abe said he doesn't mind last minute deciders. I think he is even willing to share accommodations he has rented.

My truck should be ready to go. Just about everything should be working--gauges, wipers, heater, lights, new carb--I'm looking forward to the adventure and having all the little conveniences and safety features that I didn't always have for previous trips.

Jim
  6. 52 USCG Panel
    06-10-2019 07:34 AM - permalink
    Good Morning-

I understand the position you are in. Life is complicated. It's hard, even under the best of circumstances, to just pull away from the press of day-to-day responsibilities for the better part of a week. If it were easy, more people would attend Truckstock events. That being said, let's hope for the best and that mid September will find you in the Pennsylvania mountains in a
    whole line-up of meadow green trucks.

For some reason, Abe seems to be resisting putting out any numbers for his event, but I would think we are in the 6-8 range at this point.

Jim
  7. ct50f1
    06-09-2019 08:06 PM - permalink
    Jim,

I'm trying to move ahead with the truck but I made a tactical error. I've been retired for a couple of years but a former client asked if could help out when his controller quit. I said I really wasn't interested in working again but I would give him a hand if he couldn't find anyone else. I'm not sure how hard he tried to find someone but the bottom line is that I'm back working a couple of days a week. I've really been surprised how much the outside work has cut into the time I have to devote the truck and to projects around the house. I still have a few things to wrap up on the truck and I'm trying to see if I can just farm them out and pay for it with my new paycheck. I'd really like to make it to PA but I can't commit to it yet. I'll try to keep you posted on my progress.

Dan
  8. 52 USCG Panel
    06-08-2019 10:38 AM - permalink
    Hi Dan-

You haven't been posting a lot, so I'm making the assumption you are working hard on your
    truck rather than wasting time on-line (ha,ha). How is your truck coming? People are starting to ask Abe about numbers for his event. Are you still thinking at all about coming? We'd love meeting you and your wonderful meadow green truck.

It appears there's a chance the Tennessee event may get cancelled. I'd hate to see that
    happen to the Pennsylvania Mountain gathering.

Jim