Conversation Between nutter3 and grinnergetter
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. grinnergetter
    04-26-2014 07:47 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the info, Im going to be 80 miles south of Prudoe Bay up the Haul Road. Allowed 2 bou and wolf. Flying out of Happy Valley. I shoot a 300WM and am trying to have my 338 edge ready by August. I'm seriously considering a high end mountain boot with gaiters and use Wiggys pull over's for stream crossings. I'd do judt about anything to get out of wearing hippers....What do you think about that choice?
    I have KUIU already and I have been to quebec and Newfoundland for bou so I'm not a total newb. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
  2. nutter3
    04-26-2014 06:11 PM - permalink
    What part of the state are you hunting in?
  3. nutter3
    I would recommend a stainless rifle, it is so wet up here that a blued rifle will rust in short order, even if you wipe it down daily. Good caliber for caribou is anything from 243 up to 300, nice and flat shooting is what you want. I like a 243 or 25 WSSM myself with 105-115 gr bullets. Bou aren't much bigger than a whitetail.
  4. nutter3
    Grinner,
    Loving your project. I saw a PM from you yesterday, but now it's missing.
    I hunted for caribou once, back in 1998. We had a air charter from Soldotna fly us out to the mulchatna river. Back then we could shoot 5 caribou each. It was a great hunt (15 caribou later we were tired of packing). I havent kept up with the regulations, but I know a lot of the herds have been hit hard and are much smaller.
    As far as gear, get the best raingear you can. I've heard alot of good things about [url=http://store.kuiu.com/] I have some sitka gear, it is very nice as well. I havent hunted for 6 years (small kids are keeping me at home for now), so I really can't say about the rest of the gear you'll need. Obviousily light is good. Early Sept is usually not too bad weather wise, but you never know.
  5. grinnergetter
    04-25-2014 08:19 PM - permalink
    Do you do any hunting...looking for gear recommendations. I have a trip booked this summer for bou.