Conversation Between xdoktor and Mark Kovalsky
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. xdoktor
    04-14-2014 01:13 PM - permalink
    thanks, just wanted to make sure so i can make plans. after getting it to the lift.....which it did in drive but slipping. it tthen quit moving in either direction. thanks again!
  2. Mark Kovalsky
    04-14-2014 12:31 PM - permalink
    Yes, I used to be a Ford transmission engineer.

The code you have is for the torque converter clutch not applying when the computer commands it to apply. That has nothing to do with the current problem. The clutch should not apply below about 40 MPH.

The current problem almost certainly means the trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If it slips and doesn't drive it's finished. It can't be the torque converter because it backs up. The converter does the exact same thing in drive and reverse. It can't work in reverse and not work in drive.

Mark
  3. xdoktor
    04-14-2014 10:54 AM - permalink
    you helped me waaaay back with an e150 tranny issue. and after many different responses from others. you nailed it bad torque converter. now my issue is with a 2004 ford f150 4x4 4.6 automatic. p1744 code. im thinking bad torque converter. it backs up but makes a whinning noise only in gear none in neutral. slips but tries to move in drive, same whinning or whirring noise. just give me thoughts 4r75e transmission 207000 mi. thanks again!
  4. xdoktor
    04-14-2014 10:48 AM - permalink
    hello Mark, are you the retired ford transmission engineer?
  5. xdoktor
    03-26-2013 08:24 AM - permalink
    thanks very much for your time and help!!!!!!
  6. Mark Kovalsky
    03-25-2013 05:39 PM - permalink
    The code.means the converter is slipping. The converter is also not releasing when it should. You probably need a new converter.
  7. xdoktor
    03-25-2013 12:28 PM - permalink
    hello mark, i am new to this site, but i see you are a transmission professional. quick question pleas. 1996 e150 125k auto e4od, p1278 code the only real issue i have is that on occasion when coming to a stop the thing wants to keep going, and if you use the brake to stop it it will kill the engine. restart and put it back in drive its ok. this issue is intermittent fluid is full and looks and smeels good i have spent several hours on here searching and no post with my problem. i think its the torque converter? can you offer some help. i have no way to check line pressures. and other than the code it seems to shift ok, just that supurise no stop condition? thanks!