Conversation Between GuitarJesus and SoCalAngler
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. SoCalAngler
    04-27-2015 09:11 PM - permalink
    Hello GJ-

How's it going? School's out soon so I'm sure your planning some outdoor camping trips with your family! Did you ever get a TT or 5er?

I have found a 5er that I am interested in. It is 27' and weighs 11,010 GVWR and dry weight is 7120#. Loaded I think it would be about 8300#.

I have a post in the OBS forum for input on my trucks ability to tow this 5er. It has all the numbers and details of what info I am requesting.

I was wondering if you have done the math on hitch/pin weight, passengers, fuel, truck cargo, weight hitch in bed, etc., as I know you were possible looking into a 5er.

I much prefer the 5er as you do, but want to make sure this truck will pull it safely as my family will be with me.

Thanks!
  2. GuitarJesus
    10-26-2014 11:40 PM - permalink
    Hey buddy. When I tow, its usually my pops trailer, a 22ft TT. When my family gets ours, we are looking at a 5th. I know some people don't like to lose the storage, however with my young family in the truck its the stability with the weight spread over the rear axle I like. If we get something under 27ft, we'll probably do a TT. Anything over that and we'll be looking for a 5th. I wouldn't worry too much about the rear gears unless you'll be pulling all the time. You will however have one hell of a slow start, but who that pulls a trailer is looking for a fast 0-60 anyways. If I can find one cheap enough, I'll be getting a gear vendors and keeping my rear end. If not, I'll probably grab a SuperDuty rear with 3.73 gears and the niceness of rear discs.
  3. SoCalAngler
    10-25-2014 03:13 PM - permalink
    Hey GJ--
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 5er. Looking for some input with regard to our OBS trucks and their capabilities.
    Are you towing a TT or 5er?
    Any reason you chose one over the other?

I like the way 5ers tow, but I lose my truck bed and would have to lose the shell.
    TT are nice too, but a 30' TT is about a 4' longer package than a 30' 5er.
    Too long and I can't get into some spots in the sierras or state parks.

What weights should I not exceed?
    Not sure if I want to go with a 4.10 rear end as I currently get about 11mpg.

Pin weight is about 2000# on your typical 30'-32' 5er. That's a lot when you have to add passengers and fuel.

Thoughts?
  4. SoCalAngler
    03-25-2014 10:17 AM - permalink
    GJ--We settled on $5K for the truck. As you can see in the pics on CL, it is super clean. I looked at a '05 on Sunday and it was not as clean as this '92. I think I'll be fine with the 3.55 gearing. If not, it doesn't sound too difficult to change it out to a 4.10.
  5. GuitarJesus
    03-24-2014 03:26 PM - permalink
    My truck is 2wd. I do love it, although it needs some work. I only paid $1500 for it. Its a 94' that had 175k when I bought it. The tranny had been rebuilt at 100k.

some of the things that I don't like or how much work the truck needs. Of course it's basic maintenance since its 20 years old, but if you look at how much I paid for it, the work that I've done and it still needed is relatively cheap.

I've had brake issues lately. It had original calipers (even dust boots). I replaced those. Master cylinder is bad, so is brake booster. I habe a rear drum kit waiting to go in.

I hated the bench seats. Got a 40/20/40 seat at the JY for $40. Put a 95-97 bench in the rear for my kids so it has arm rest.

Cant stand only fron windows power. I have rear regulators, wiring, front crew door panel, just have to instsll it.

I'm doing a lot of stuff to make the truck mine.