Conversation Between andgott and 1966 EFF100
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. andgott
    05-11-2012 03:20 PM - permalink
    Thanks. That eastwood welder is pretty nice- And you can't beat the price! This is the first real welding that I've done, and it wasn't hard to learn at all... I have used a stick welder a little in the past, and a REALLY cheap wire feed without gas, and they just don't compare. I paid for the welder and then some just redoing the cab- I would have paid $6-$800 in labor costs alone to have the local shop do it.

The Harbor freight anvils are OK. They are cast iron, so they don't take a real beating. Mine are all older, 'real' blacksmiths anvils, made out of wrought iron with hardened steel faces. The newer one that you have seen in the pics is from 1914, it's an Arm & Hammer brand. The other one that I use was made by a company called Mousehole, in England, and is almost 250 years old, but still going strong. I got them both from craigslist, if you are patient, they come up from time to time, but if they are really good deals like mine were, you have to snap 'em up FAST!
  2. 1966 EFF100
    05-11-2012 07:43 AM - permalink
    Thanks for your replies. Your project has me thinking about purchasing a welder on payday. Are the sub-$100 anvils at Northern Tool suitable for cab/bed work? Where can you get sheet metal?

Thanks!

Greg