Conversation Between Dano78 and ren55ford
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Dano78
    01-27-2012 04:56 PM - permalink
    Well the good news is that there is basically no severe difference between the 302 and the 351W as far as setting the chassis up. The AOD bolts to either one. The only differences that you'll find would be the results of the 351Ws taller deck height. It would be best to pick one over the other in the begining. Having a rebuilt 302 makes it a tough decision. The 302 and C4 are good units with plenty of power for the lighter 1/2 ton trucks. The overdrive is just icing on the cake.
    The IFS is a good way to go too. You get p/s, disc brakes, sway bar and improved handling/ride height for 1/2 the cost of upgrading the stock front suspension to be as comparable. Hindsight says I should have done the same and probably will after I enjoy the truck a bit. IRS in the rear is a bit overkill, but hey- if you already got it, flaunt it. Keep us all posted and definately do NOT be afraid to ask any and all questions. People on here are always willing to help another out. - Dan
  2. ren55ford
    01-27-2012 11:11 AM - permalink
    Thanks Dano,
    My 55 is a garage find, it sat in this guys garage for over 25 years. It is totally stock, no rust, 6 cyl with 3 speed. He gave me a 302 and a c4, I had them both rebuilt. Then a friend gave me a 1990 351 with a AOD. So I am trying to figure out what way to go. I also have a TCI Mustang 2 front end and rear suspension.
    So I am basically just planning my build so once I figure out what way I am going I will have everything I need. So I figure to get input from guys who have done it before.
    Thanks for your input, Rene