Conversation Between crsmiffy and wyoming4x4
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. crsmiffy
    01-17-2012 10:31 PM - permalink
    Hey wyoming. need your thoughts. You have suggested that smaller tube headers are best. I get that and have looked on ED's site. VG, but the cheap used set I got off evilbay are tri-y's. All Ed does is 4-1's. I knew I was going to modify them so some butchery is acceptable. rebuilt 400 (410) in 72 aussie assembled RHD Galaxie so steering box and starter on same side. not much room, which is why it hasn't been done yet. tri-s are 1-3/4" approx 16" to first Y collecter, Same to next to a 2" tube tail. These may fit better? original logs cracked/welded and may fail anytime. would the larger tubes be offset by being longer? will not be on track so just good sensible gains on road fine. Thoughts??
  2. wyoming4x4
    05-03-2011 02:21 PM - permalink
    Still in New mexico working. Forgot to mention on the port filling www.mpgheads.com sells a port plate with a insert to help compenate for this very thing. Its a quick simple process but with epoxy you can finetune a little better per application. If you ever get to look at a set of OEM cobrajet heads you will see what I'm trying to improve. Once you see it, it makes sense. Big ports and need to be a little smaller if possible for the rpm range I'm running. I had these heads around for a long time and now I'm gonna build this little monster 400. Catch you later and have a great day!
  3. wyoming4x4
    04-15-2011 10:04 PM - permalink
    port filling is a tedious process. Doesn't cost much to do, but tedious. I will get everything roughed in and then take to a flow bench. After looking at mock up the airgap ports come in a little lower than I though so I will be taking a little more than I thought to help mismatch of porting. edelbrock says don't do nothing just run it. After lookin at port work I know their are improvements to be made. This is in my professional opinion. Stuck on a job in New mexico, carlsbad makin some money so things are delayed for a month. Lots of overtime and making some bank$$$$$ hope you like photos and more to come when I get back.
  4. crsmiffy
    04-11-2011 11:28 PM - permalink
    The air gap looks the part, but with the spacers starts to get up there a bit. I would still like to try one in the future. It will be interesting to see what the port filling acheives. With doing everything at once it's hard to pick what mod did what.
  5. wyoming4x4
    04-10-2011 04:33 AM - permalink
    just checkin in from wyoming. Been workin my cobrajet headed 400 ford. Been a interesting project. Been wanting to do one of these engines for yrs. now its happening. Got some photos of build and mocking up on heads/intake. If your curious in my albums section, lots of photos! not to sharp on this computor stuff and moving photos around but will eventually get figured out. 6.7 liter cobrajet sounds kinda cool.