Conversation Between rjitreeman0909 and zaaac
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. zaaac
    01-09-2011 07:40 PM - permalink
    The one wet plug has seemed to clear up with some use and a good tune up. Sounded like the whole engine was pinging and not just one cylinder. Ended up with 53 jets and a 6.5 power valve. Plug color has changed from black to gray. I had #1 cyl at tdc to check stroke and it looked like the timing marks were good but I'm not sure if I was exactly at tdc. I will for sure check that at rebuild time. Manifold vacuum is at 18" so it may just be timed more than i think. Starter will crank a little slow sometimes when hot but not all the time. Anyway, having fun with it and using it for work right now cause it'll carry more load than my 2000 Chevy. Those Chevy's are more of a car but I sure like the fuel mileage when I don't need to carry so much. Thanks for the help...Jack
  2. zaaac
    01-09-2011 07:39 PM - permalink
    No, not really but improved. I changed the reluctor to a 13L and can set the initial to 6° with no ping so gonna leave it at that. Vacuum advance brings back the ping. Not gonna worry about it anymore until the engine gets rebuilt. Runs great otherwise and has decent compression on all cylinders. Oil pressure is only 10 psi at idle but I think it'll last a while if I baby it.
  3. rjitreeman0909
    01-08-2011 06:03 PM - permalink
    Zaaac did you gert it fixed?
    Possible causes of ping. ONE WET PLUG -- could be bad valve stem seal of worn valve guide. Oil will make it ping. Doe is sound like it could be s single cylinder or enginew in general? Pull # 1 spark plug and crank engine over until that piston is at TDC and distributor rotor is pointing towars cylinder 1 wire. See if timing mark is at zero or possibly off, presumeably in the advanced direction based on ping. Hope all is well or that one of these items helps.

bob