Conversation Between mikeo0o0o0 and Timekeeper66
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Timekeeper66
    09-14-2016 10:57 AM - permalink
    Just so you know Mike it looks to be running at about 30 degrees out. I did think the linkage on the acc. Pump should be set closer in the hole settings thanks for the heads up. I'll set it back to the outter. I'm sure she needs all the fuel! Lol!!
  2. Timekeeper66
    09-14-2016 10:53 AM - permalink
    Mike thanks for the information! Managed to make some changes in my situation with the starting. Went with electronic ignition per Tronics I believe is the unit made a big difference and a little hotter coil. The truck has become pretty reliable at starting two pumps to pedal turn the ignition and it starts but I have been reading the site up quite a bit. . Saves me from posting a lot of stupid help me questions. Been readingsite for other previous issues that have occurred with other trucks. Right now I'm researching problem with timing. I was told 8 to 10° off and if it doesn't want to adjust to that that it could very well be that I need to check top dead center the number one cylinder and or perhaps the timing chain could have jumped gears. It certainly doesn't like being set to that location. From the previous thread I did see also to check vacuum hose to carb.Thanks Mike
  3. mikeo0o0o0
    08-26-2016 12:08 AM - permalink
    Hi Eric,
    Actually, from your description, it could be a problem with the accelerator pump.
    With the engine off, take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb. Open the throttle. You should see two strong jets of fuel squirt into the throat of the carb. If it is non-existent, it could be the check valve in the accelerator pump is bad, that's kind of common on the Motorcraft 2100 carbs. If the stream looks weak, check the linkage at the front of the carb for the accelerator pump. There are a couple of holes in the arm. Make sure the rod is in the outer most hole, this will richen the pump shot.
    If that all checks out okay,check for vacuum leaks but if it idles okay, then that's probably not the problem.
    Does it start okay? This is a long shot, but if you have the stock points and condenser ignition. Check the point gap (.017") and replace the condenser. There's been a lot of talk lately about the latest batch of condensers have been going bad quickly.
  4. Timekeeper66
    08-25-2016 11:25 PM - permalink
    Hey Mike your a busy guy on the site! I have the 73 f-350 super camper. Thought I would pick your brain a bit. Got it running today, when I accelerate the motor starves out. Have to feather it to increase Rpms. I do have a rebuilt carburetor. Checked timing seems good. Could the needle jets on the bottom of the carb be set to lean? 360cui stock 2v carb? Thanks Eric.