Conversation Between ArdWrknTrk and 460Raevyn
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. ArdWrknTrk
    03-28-2013 08:12 PM - permalink
    My message was too long.
    I had to cut a bunch.

What can you tell me about your trucks history?
  2. ArdWrknTrk
    03-28-2013 08:11 PM - permalink
    Hi Cory,
    Welcome to the forum!
    How many miles are on your truck?

Is the choke operating correctly?

When the truck dies, does it have full float bowls?
    The electric pumps have two power sources. One while the starter is engaged, and another for when you let the key back to 'run'.

If the bowls aren't full when it dies I would first check the reset button of the inertia switch in the cab, and then jumper the oil pressure switch back by where the EGR used to be.

If the fuel level is good, I would question the ignition.
    Check for spark (after it dies)
    No good? Swap the module on the fender.
    Check the resistance of the coil.

If you have fuel and spark but it still runs rough. Spitting back etc..
    Try and see how loose the timing chain is.
    The timing chain drives the cam and distributor.
    If the valves are not opening at the right time, or the spark is not timed correctly, it may just be a worn out chain & gears.
    You're looking at about $100 in parts. Timing set + gasket & FMS.
  3. 460Raevyn
    03-28-2013 07:30 PM - permalink
    Hey Jim.
    MY name is Cory. I have a current project truck which is a 1986 F-350 460 4 door long bed. I bought her from an older gentalman and she has sat for many years. I have taken her into my local repair shop and they pretty much just gave me bad news that she wont run for $1200. They did clean my fuel tanks and made sure the pumps worked. So I have begun the task of piecing things together. I have replaced the intake manifold with an Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Removing the EGR. I have also gone with an Edelbrock 800CFM Thunder AVS manule choke. Other things I have replaced is vacuum lines, PCV, thermostat, crank case vent, clear fuel filter, oil change. I did however try to get her to start without replacing the plugs. She has started and run for about 30 seconds and then just dies. She does run rough like she isn't sparking right so my timing might be off and bad plugs. Would you have any other suggestions that I could follow to get this ol'girl running right?