Conversation Between Florida Chris and perkint
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Florida Chris
    08-18-2018 06:42 PM - permalink
    Tadd-
    Thanks for the reply. I've made some progress since my first posts. I now have a set of pretty nice dog dish caps I sourced on eBay. I bought an extra 'trashed' cap to experiment with for the hole. Using a Carbide tipped 3 3/4" hole saw I managed to get holes cut in the front caps. I have sourced some refinished 16 x 7 Ford rims from a late model Econoline that look to work. I needed the 7" wide rims to handle the slightly wider than stock rubber that I am running. Hoping to get my tires swapped over later this week.

Thanks for the reply. Love your truck!

-Chris
    Chrisdwheeler@gmail.com
  2. perkint
    08-18-2018 01:20 AM - permalink
    Let me know if you have trouble finding the right hub caps (the ebay listing I bought from for my16" 8 lug steel rims (16.5" was what was on the truck originally). I might be able to sell you a couple if you can wait to mid September when I return to the barn where they are stored. Tadd taddcperkins@hotmail.com

1967-1972 FORD TRUCK F-250/350 3/4-1 TON DOG DISH HUBCAPS-STAINLESS-2 HUBCAPS

Item Id: 131898332188Transaction Id: 1252466083003Estimated delivery: Sat. Aug. 6 - Wed. Aug. 10Paid: $80.05
  3. perkint
    08-18-2018 01:20 AM - permalink
    Hi Chris, Sorry for my late response. I used a hole saw kit, identified as capable of cutting metal, from Harbor Freight I'm embarrassed to say, but I know these are available at Home Depot or Lowes as well. Google "hole saw for metal". No secret on identifying the best place to cut the hole, just took a measurement from the center of the hubs to the outside of the raised portions of the steel wheel which hold the hubcaps and then center punched the hubcaps to guide the pilot bit. I heard from one member the idea of using cut tubing to snug up the hole on the warn hubs, but I didn't do that--when I swap my winter wheels out for summer, I find no dirt or corrosion on the painted steel rims underneath the hub caps so I think the cut tubing around the edges is an elegant solution to a non-existent problem, unless you are doing a lot of mudding.
  4. Florida Chris
    08-02-2018 06:30 PM - permalink
    Hmmm, The ebay dog dish hubcaps are just a tad too small for my rims. I suspect I need a different set of 16" steel wheels. Can you tell me about your wheels?
  5. Florida Chris
    07-28-2018 04:53 PM - permalink
    OK, so I have located a set of hub caps on ebay and they are coming my way. I have the same tapered front axle that you do on my truck. What size hole did you end up drilling? Did you put split rubber vacuum hose on the inside of the hole so that the cap snugs against the axle? Any secret to finding the exact center of the cap before drilling? Thanks. -Chris
  6. Florida Chris
    07-27-2018 07:12 AM - permalink
    Hello! I just came across the photos of your rig. I absolutely love it! I have a '69 F250 Highboy with an I6 that I got in NE Washington. I really like what you did for hub caps. Can you tell me about them? Where did you find them? How did you modify the front cap? Thanks. -Chris