Conversation Between Frankenbiker and jeremyshanemoore
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Frankenbiker
    03-02-2014 10:50 PM - permalink
    As far as I know (which isn't much), everyone just replaces the heads if they're out of spec. I was given to believe that there isn't enough metal on the heads to support being machined more than .001 or so, which makes the job not worth the effort.

Which isn't to say that people don't go to the effort. But I know of no one local to DFW that does.

I've also been told that there are some suspect castings out there that are bad out of the box; but I was also told that they're usually easy to spot, being dramatically cheaper than OEM Ford heads.

Luckily (so far!), this is an issue that I haven't had to deal with, YET.

-blaine
  2. jeremyshanemoore
    03-02-2014 11:26 AM - permalink
    I was told you might be able to point me in the right direction. I just got my first powerstroke(2003 6.0) and my first Ford ever. It has 200000 miles on it and I am putting studs on it and headgaskets. I cant locate a shop that is familiar with the heads to have the machined flat and a valve job. Any recommendations? I have the motor all the way down to the heads but want to ensure I get them to someone that is familiar with them since they are so unique from what I have read.