Conversation Between adamtheman16 and thefordlane
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8
  1. adamtheman16
    07-30-2010 12:28 AM - permalink
    The factory Ford EEC-IV ECM I believe will not like to see pressures over atmospheric. Personally, the easiest way to boost an EFI is to get an aftermarket fuel management system (like Megasquirt, SDSEFI, Holley) or one of several others used with multiple applications. Do some Internet surfing and you'll find more than you can think of. Price usually becomes the deciding factor.

You have to make a turbo header, mount, or pipe of some type as there is no aftermarket way to bolt a turbo onto this engine. You can do it many different ways, but mainly whatever works with your engine bay and its surroundings. Its all custom, like I said, not just bolt on.

Ok, let me know if you want any more info.
  2. adamtheman16
    07-30-2010 12:27 AM - permalink
    The factory Ford EEC-IV ECM I believe will not like to see pressures over atmospheric. Personally, the easiest way to boost an EFI is to get an aftermarket fuel management system (like Megasquirt, SDSEFI, Holley) or one of several others used with multiple applications. Do some Internet surfing and you'll find more than you can think of. Price usually becomes the deciding factor.

You have to make a turbo header, mount, or pipe of some type as there is no aftermarket way to bolt a turbo onto this engine. You can do it many different ways, but mainly whatever works with your engine bay and its surroundings. Its all custom, like I said, not just bolt on.

Ok, let me know if you want any more info.
  3. adamtheman16
    07-30-2010 12:27 AM - permalink
    Now for a fuel pressure regulator. The stock one won't adequately or accurately increase fuel pressure with boost pressure (1:1 ratio fuel to air pressure increase). I was able to adapt a 2 bolt 3.8L regulator from Professional Products Professional Products 10681 - Professional Products Powerflow Fuel Pressure Regulators - Overview - SummitRacing.comonto my 2 bolt fuel rail. If you have a 3 bolt, you will have to do more work to get it to fit like this: Ford ’87-’96 4.9L (300) EFI Fuel Injector and Pressure Upgrades

Next, you have to find a way to retard your timing under boost. Unfortunately, I am running EDIS, so mine is fully programmable using Megasquirt, so I have not researched any ways to get the TFI ignition modules to retard. You may be on your own there.
  4. adamtheman16
    07-30-2010 12:26 AM - permalink
    You have to get injectors large enough to handle the extra air you are shoving into the engine. They may only need to be a little bigger, or a lot bigger. Really depends on your choice of power output. You may be able to keep the stock ones if you plan on only running no more than 5 lbs boost. This brings us to a fuel pump. The stock one may be sufficient, but I don't know what the max pressure of the stocker is (I believe 95 psi deadhead, but running that would wear it out and overheat it rapidly). I used a nice walbro 255l/min (Walbro GS392 comes to mind). Very nice pump, very adaptable. They also make bolt in for certain vehicles. A lot of Fords use the same pump, you just install in into your sending unit.
  5. adamtheman16
    07-30-2010 12:24 AM - permalink
    Hey Fordlane...sorry to keep you waiting.

SO first thing, you have to decide how much power you want to add, or potentially add in the future. This highly depends on your turbo selection as well as fuel and air requirements. I am assuming a simple system with your stock EFI correct?

So, basically there isn't much of a parts list. But one thing I suggest as a starting parts list is get the components needed to make the engine boost compatible. This means getting the fuel and ignition system compatible in order to operate with the positive pressure in the intake manifold.
  6. thefordlane
    07-19-2010 10:40 PM - permalink
    K ill be sure to read up on that stuff. Ya if ya could post me some info and posibly a parts list that would be great. Have fun on your trip.
  7. adamtheman16
    07-18-2010 01:32 PM - permalink
    I get back from my euro trip in a couple days and I'll give ya some tips. Main key point: learn how a turbochared system on an engine operates. You will more success with that knowledge. It ain't a bolt on like everyone wants it to be. Check out authors Corky Bell and Jay K Miller.
  8. thefordlane
    07-17-2010 08:23 PM - permalink
    Hey man youve got a pretty pickup. So iv got a 300 in a 78 andiv wanted to turbo it but i dont know a lot. So if ya could tell me how ya stared and what kinda a parts you put on it. Just wanna know some info and what ya have invested in it.

Thanks man

Lane