Conversation Between harleymsn and deanwitmer
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. harleymsn
    03-21-2016 06:45 PM - permalink
    I hunted for a set for several years when I ran across the one's I have. I only have 4, 2 front and 2 outside rear but they are the same 19.5 as the steel wheels I have on the inner rears. The fellow I got them from had inherited and old motor home with them and decided to scrap the whole thing. He pulled the front and outside rears, but didn't know about the inner cones for the rear wheels and set at them with a torch. I guess he got scrap value for the melted aluminum wheels. We have had some medical issues in the family and I had decided to put 'Edith' my F5 up for sale, but it didn't draw much interest for what I have invested in it, so I spoke with Stu (truckdog) a while back about putting the steel 19.5's back on and selling the 4 Alcoa wheels. I was planning to put them on ebay closer to summer, after I have time to clean and paint up another set of steel wheels. My plan was to start the bidding at $2K for the set, as that would be the very least I would take for them.
  2. harleymsn
    03-21-2016 06:45 PM - permalink
    Welcome to FTE, the long and the short of it is that the Alcoa wheels are darn near unobtainable. As Truckdog pointed out they are no longer made. I did some extensive research on them and found that Alcoa only made a few hundred of these wheels total. FMC built about 950 Motor homes and sold about 25-30 with the Aluminum wheels. Travco also sold Motor homes with the wheels as an option and again only sold a limited number with the Alcoa wheels. They were only made by Alcoa for about 3-4 years back in the late 70's early 80's.
  3. deanwitmer
    03-21-2016 12:22 PM - permalink
    Could you tell where I could find aluminum wheels like you have on your truck for our 1951 F4?