Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and Akita Best
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    03-22-2019 09:18 PM - permalink
    The ratio in first gear is 2.71:1. If the torque converter is unlocked, and it most likely will be, there will be slip of several hundred RPM. That is going to generate A LOT of heat.

You could lock the torque converter as long as engine speed is always above 1300 RPM. That would make it much easier to control the output speed.

The transmission ratios are as follows:
    2.71:1
    1.54:1
    1:1
    0.71:1

For longevity it would be best to run with the torque converter locked and the transmission in third gear. This would require an engine speed of 1800 RPM to make an output speed of 1800. NOt knowing the load required, you might not have enough power to run the pump in third gear. In second gear you need 2772 RPM to get an output speed of 1800 RPM, assuming the torque converter remains locked. If the trans is in first gear it needs 4878 RPM to get an output speed of 1800 RPM. The 7.3L is not capable of running at that speed.
    No matter how you do this you MUST have a cooler to make the trans last.
  2. Akita Best
    03-22-2019 11:56 AM - permalink
    Hi,Mark,how are you ? Im sorry i cant share any knowledge with you as im young and dumb I'd be grateful if you could advice me on that ,i created same thread for people to chime in.
    i want to use transmission yoke as pto with 7.3 as power source for my hydraulic pump.If i put in Drive at what gear(1,2,3,4) will be transmission yoke if i set rpm with programmer ,lets say 1500rpm .Pump needs 1800 rpm to ouput right gpm and pressure but transmission has 2.54 ratio in first gear which means it will be less than 800 rpm on yoke given transmission doesnt shift to second or third gear by that time.Theres also rearend speed sensor.
    How to calculate right speed at yoke ?
    Is it safe to run transmission at 1800 rpm for lets say 2 hrs. or i will need to add cooler
  3. Akita Best
    03-26-2018 02:54 AM - permalink
    ill look up again in the morning
  4. Mark Kovalsky
    03-25-2018 06:25 PM - permalink
    Actually, I didn't create the 4R100. I didn't even work in that department when it was created.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you have something wrong. If you were to send me the codes I bet I could narrow that down quite a bit.

Mark
  5. Akita Best
    03-25-2018 01:50 PM - permalink
    Good day Mark,sorry for bothering you again.but i cant deny the fact that you are most knowledgeable guy on 4r100 since you created it I have e450 4r100 school bus with 100k.trans was shiftig ok when i bought it and after oil changing,no shavings on pan's magnet.but right now it has problem with mlps based on code.15 sec after start it started to blinking od and when i tried to shift to D its killed engine.So i wiggled that connector on the trans and it shifts cool.what would be main problem?
    Thank u
  6. Akita Best
    11-22-2017 04:32 PM - permalink
    Thank you so much.
  7. Mark Kovalsky
    11-15-2017 08:48 PM - permalink
    You can get a rebuilt E4OD or 4R100 from a Ford dealer, or from any of a thousand rebuilders. I don't have a specific recommendation.
    From the transmission's point of view weight is weight, it doesn't matter if it is on the truck or on a trailer. It does matter to the truck's suspension, though.
  8. Akita Best
    11-15-2017 08:41 PM - permalink
    thank u,i have to check out with someone first then cry here
    also what would be the best option to get e40d and 4r100 ,i have both e450 02 and this f super duty 97,im plannign to tow.
    last question what does more pressure on truck : towing loaded trailer or overweight payload ?
  9. Mark Kovalsky
    11-15-2017 08:28 AM - permalink
    I'm pretty sure installing another transmission won't fix your problems. You have electrical issues.

I think you'll need someone that is good at diagnosing electrical problems to find out what's wrong. A Ford dealer would NOT be a good choice. If there is a shop in your area that says Auto Electric they would be my first choice.

Mark
  10. Akita Best
    11-14-2017 10:07 PM - permalink
    Hi Mark,ive been reading some of your posts and didnt find solution for my issue with shift-rite transmission rebuilt 7.3 f super duty 97.i have it for less than year and it feels like falling apart inside.
    0 to 30 mph goes very slow unless i full throttle
    between 55 to 65 mph with headlights on it starts to jumping between 3-4th gears for some reason.
    and generally i cant hold up 70mph unloaded loaded ,it used to go 75 without issues when i finally got it from them this spring.
    also any uphill struggling so much,goes about 15-25mph slower than the rest of traffic.
    the rest of truck is fine.
    if you ever respond i would be grateful,im not sure if i have to spend another 4k on some reputable shop transmission or just buy another vehicle.
    Thanks.