Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and shynebull
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. shynebull
    02-10-2018 06:01 PM - permalink
    I pulled the vb and the only air check that doesn't make a thud is the intermediate. Sounds like I'm just blowing against something.
  2. shynebull
    02-10-2018 01:19 PM - permalink
    Just for a little background it's a 2001 F250 5.4 4wd. Plow truck. It came in the shop with with a terrible shudder in reverse. I told him to take it to the transmission guy I send my customers to and somehow I let him talk me into doing it. I got it apart and the forward clutch return spring was shattered. I had a whole assembly from an E4OD on my shelf from one that went bad years ago. I disassembled everything to make sure all was good, cleaned it all out, put back together the way it came apart with the help of the service manual, not once but twice, and both times its done the same thing. I'm obviously missing something. The valves all move freely as well. At least when the body is on the bench.
  3. shynebull
    02-10-2018 01:05 PM - permalink
    I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner and I thank you very much for replying. I did air check all the ports and I heard them all apply. But now that I'm looking at the page again I totally overlooked the coast clutch port. Now thats some rookie dookie there. What would cause the coast clutch to hang in the always applied position? I'll be in the shop till 6 and I'll keep my eye on my pc. Again I thank you for your time.
  4. Mark Kovalsky
    02-09-2018 08:36 PM - permalink
    My guess is that the coast clutch is always applied. That would explain the wheels stop in fourth gear. But I don't know why third doesn't work.

Did you air check each clutch?

Mark
  5. shynebull
    02-09-2018 01:11 PM - permalink
    you seem to be the guy I need to talk to. I have a 4r100 that i've had apart twice now. When I unplug the solenoid pack and shift from 2nd to drive the rear wheels just stop. Almost like they lock up. Its on jackstands. With it plugged in and in drive it shifts from 1st to 2nd and when it tries to go to 3rd it kicks right back to second. Like it'll shift but immediately drops back down to 2nd.