Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and BigBlueIron
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    08-15-2018 02:19 PM - permalink
    It doesn't seem that unusual to me. I had an E4OD with those exact symptoms. The overdrive one way clutch has failed.

When you pull it down to 1 or 2 the coast clutch is applied and it takes the load that the one way clutch normally takes, so you can move. The only way to fix this is to remove the trans and rebuild it. Sorry.

Mark
  2. BigBlueIron
    08-15-2018 12:56 PM - permalink
    Mark,
    I appreciate any advice you can offer.
    Vehicle: 1995 F-Superduty 7.3 auto E4OD i believe.
    Complaint: no forward motion when selector is in D

Trans was remaned several years ago estimate maybe 40k
    What I have found, when D is selected it feels like N the truck will slightly surge and a some noise from the trans can be heard. Shift down and away you go as if nothing is wrong. It will shift up and down normally including convertor lock. Until you slow to a stop then you have to pull it into 1st or 2nd. All gears are function. Shifts are firm but not harsh OD button works as it should, and does not flash indicating an issue. Only codes I have are for a exhaust back pressure and TPS. Also verified the (new) MLPS operation via scanner. New VSS

Power to solenoids was verified and terminals cleaned.

What operations are asked of the trans when D is selected? Possibly a faulty solenoid? Just seems really weird that it drives and shifts fine once rolling.