Conversation Between super 6.8 and Mark Kovalsky
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 5 of 5
  1. super 6.8
    01-04-2010 04:10 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the information and your time. I will back off the 2-3 shift pressure and forget about it.

It really is the best auto tranny I have ever been around. This trend towards 6 and even 7 speed autos is unnecessary with the torque curve of the V10!
  2. Mark Kovalsky
    01-04-2010 08:16 AM - permalink
    First, I missed that you have a V10. Duh! You already have the low lash one way clutch. Line pressure can make it worse, but that's not the cause or the solution. I spent a bunch of time adjusting pressures trying to make it go away and I couldn't do it.

It was cool working in the industry. I got to do a lot of things that I dreamed of as a kid. I went to the Baja 1000 one year as the Ford trans representative and rode with the chase team for the truck that won the race. I also was able to ride in a Trophy Truck during a tire test. I've been on the Nurburgring in Germany at 165 MPH, and I rode many laps around Virginia International Raceway in a ZR1 Corvette, also topping 165 MPH.

It was fun while it lasted, and it lasted for 29 years!

Mark
  3. super 6.8
    01-03-2010 09:38 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I really appreciate it. If you have time, I have another question about that thump. It is comforting to know that it isn't causing damage but is it in anyway related to line pressure? I started using a 5 Star tuner for my V10 and I noticed it right after flashing the 87 octane performance tune. I backed off the shift pressure and it didn't seem to make a difference. Then I flashed back to stock and it is still there. I just never noticed it before. It does seem to go away with more throttle. Is it shift pressure related?

BTW, I am an engineer in the aircraft industry. Due to the automotive industry woes, we have hired a few former automotive engineers. I always thought it would've been cool to work in that industry but it is kind of hard living in southern Kansas.

Thanks,
  4. Mark Kovalsky
    01-03-2010 08:09 PM - permalink
    Yes, there is A LOT that is unique about the 2-3 shift. The cause of the thump is a one way clutch engaging on the shift. I spent a couple months working on that issue, but those above me wouldn't spend the money to fix it. You could rebuild the trans and use a one way clutch from a gas engine trans. Those had a higher dollar, low lash unit that REALLY lowered the amount of thumping that happens on the shift. It would not be covered on any warranty because there isn't anything wrong with the clutch you have, they all thump to some degree. The good news is that it doesn't affect the durability. They last just as long even when they thump.

Mark
  5. super 6.8
    01-03-2010 12:56 PM - permalink
    Hi Mark, I see you get a lot of traffic here. Would you know why a 2007 30k mile torqshift would make a clunking / thumping sound only on the 2-3 shift? It only does it at low throttle positions and is not noticeable at 1/2 throttle or more. Is there something unique about the 2-3 shift? Thanks for your time and expertise.