Conversation Between Torky2 and LizB
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Torky2
    12-03-2012 11:59 PM - permalink
    Could be diff than '10. Looked at '10 man. saw that pics & tables messed up. Said pos. 3 is ref. pos, would expect that to be factory. But pic for 3 was the same for R & L sides - would expect them to be mirror images instead. And the top of the strut rod was in the same place on ALL of the pics - wrong! & their table did not make sense - moving the top of the strut front/back should change CASTER, they said Camber. And moving the top of the strut rod Left/Right should change CAMBER, they said Caster. So '10 man. is useless there.
    If still needed, pick a position, maybe top of strut rod to the R rear for the pass. side, & L rear for the driver side, bolt it up. At alignment, tell them, if they see wheels way off, can lift the car by its underbody, front wheels hanging down, unbolt the top 4 nuts, lower & turn the plate, then up and bolt it down. Hopefully their manuals or machine instructions tell them what way to turn the top mount plate to get the desired Caster and Camber range.
  2. LizB
    12-02-2012 01:24 PM - permalink
    I'm replacing the struts and installing new mounting blocks in my 01 Escape. I didn't mark the orientation of the old mounting blocks before removal, and I need to know what the right orientation is before installing the new blocks. I can see that the orientation matters, but don't know what is correct. I saw a thread in which you posted " At least in 2010, camber/caster is set by the 4 possible positions of the strut upper bushing. The bushing mount has an offset from the centerline of the strut rod. With 4 studs, that gives 4 different positions to orient the mount," so I thought you might know the answer. I have the shop manual, but it doesn't have this info. Any ideas?