Conversation Between mueckster and DisasterDan
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. DisasterDan
    06-14-2013 10:05 PM - permalink
    ..... Rev no engage unless off idle, pressure @idle 35 no 1st gear lock, dam near passes by 1st when taking off. Pulled accumulator out checked valve bores. installed stock low/rev valve back in. swapped elec solenoid pack. make sure I had the correct valve body gaskets, epc ball spring. More fluid, no change same results. When I disconnect power to the solenoid pack, rev works fine pressure comes up?

I can't stand the way the fluid smells, knowing the rev clutches have been punished. and still have a lingering problem. I will be pulling the trans this week / again.

Myself I am confident in my valve body builds, I might be missing a trick or two? but I have a few customers that are very happy. I am proficient with precision tools and mechanics in general.
    By the time J get this transmision done I will have enough parts to build another. But I got to get this one right first!
  2. DisasterDan
    06-14-2013 10:03 PM - permalink
    Thanks for the reply This is kinda long;
    Well I tried to build this trans using Borg Warner frictions ( per John Woods ) Using custom pressure plates Rev, For, Dir, OD I used Raybestes Z-Pack on the intermediate. Tried to set all clearances on the tight side of what the book called for using thicker snap rings. I did have an issue with steels being thicker than what JW was using. I used Sonnax parts, all through the build. Center support machined/ snap ring, OD/ Dir feed tubes w/ spacers. new bearings, bushings. Had a JW accumulator that I liked so left it be, I installed sonnax low/rev updated valve in the main body. New front pump Installed as many new parts as I could. new Torque Converter. 3 disc billet. Truck shifted OK. 1st was not what I liked. But Torq Converter would not lock up. drove about 450 miles. pulled trans out replaced converter, and front pump half ( it was in bad shape? )
  3. mueckster
    06-10-2013 11:02 PM - permalink
    Reverse pressure should be 70-100 psi @ idle. You definitely have an internal leak.
    I left out the wave plate and added another friction and steel. I also use oversize steels and thicker snap ring from a 5R110 to tighten up the L/R clearance.
    Let me know what all you've done and I can make some suggestions for you. I, too, have purchased some of my parts from WIT. But, I don't just buy from one source. I blueprint my rebuild to recommended specs for HD/Race and purchase my parts accordingly.
  4. DisasterDan
    06-10-2013 10:25 PM - permalink
    I seen you post some good stuff about the 4r100. I made a thread about my problem rebuild.
    My main problem at the moment is No reverse engagement at idle, reading 30psi @ idle on the gauge. Also I dont have any manual low 1 on upshift or downshift.
    I will be pulling the trans out, as I am sure the low/reverse frictions are toast. and just to clean the crappy smelling fluid. I seen you mention no wave plate? Could you toss some tips my way?
    yes everything was new, and will be new again this time around. If I can figure my mistake out?
    I have been using WIT for most of my parts. JW supplied the pressure plates ( although he has been hard to reach)
    Thanks for you time and all you do for "US"