Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 F150 Trans wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:48 AM
92shortbox
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 F150 Trans wont engage

I just replaced the Engine in my 1992 f150 with a crate 302. Once i started it i heard a load grind come from the bell housing area, that soon went away. I got under the truck and had someone start it for me when i had the inspection plate off and it seemed to be the bolts of the torque converter hitting the plate.

As i said, it went away. I jumped in the truck after it warmed for a while and made sure everything else worked and backed it out of the garage to wash it up. After i washed it it wouldnt shift into gear. I could watch the shift linkage place it into gear but it wouldnt move. The trans fluid level also didnt change between running and not.

My guess is the torque converter move out and disengaged from the pump and was only running the first two splines. I pulled the trans and it looks to be true.

Could this be true and could that short run time with no pump damage the trans? I dont have it back together yet and would like to know what else it could be.

Also, the small center shaft on the transmission can move in and out. Is it suppose to do that?

Thanks