6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Thank God for this forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
bricklayer56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank God for this forum

I can't tell you how happy I am that I traded the 6.4 for this 6.2 gas. The problems with the 6.4 keep growing, and have only read about fan noise here. It was becoming hard to sleep at night knowing I owned a 6.4. Ford posted a new memo, change fuel and oil filters at 5000 miles, that was going to be 2 plus bills every 6 weeks, plus my payment, unreal. 3100 miles on my new xlt and cloud nine for me.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Very nice thanks for sharing... Post up some pics of the rig some time..

Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Good luck with the new xlt rig bricklayer.
This is a great place to learn.

Mike in PA

Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Congrats on the new truck. I'm a 6.4 to 6.2 convert also. I love my truck! Post some pics ASAP!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:36 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That's great!I'm throwing around the idea of going to gas.I have never owned a gas powerd truck...ALL DIESELS.I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
nico963,

Well, if you've read some of the other threads that have been posted by me and others; you'll see that there are some differences in performance between the gasser (6.2) and diesels. As long as you have an understanding of what these differences are (i.e. higher rpm powerband, no turbo that makes it seems gutless ((to some people)), downshifting on hills when towing or hauling, etc.) you'll be very happy with the change. Your worries and frustrations that you have with late model powerstrokes (03 and up) will be over. The long term reliability concerns will also be over. Ford gassers are known to be able to achieve very high miles without any major work. That is simply not the case with diesels now. We now live in the day of the new emissions diesels and as a result I dont think we'll see the type of high miles that were once seen on the 7.3 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins without major engine work being done IMO.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Front Runner
nico963,

Well, if you've read some of the other threads that have been posted by me and others; you'll see that there are some differences in performance between the gasser (6.2) and diesels. As long as you have an understanding of what these differences are (i.e. higher rpm powerband, no turbo that makes it seems gutless ((to some people)), downshifting on hills when towing or hauling, etc.) you'll be very happy with the change. Your worries and frustrations that you have with late model powerstrokes (03 and up) will be over. The long term reliability concerns will also be over. Ford gassers are known to be able to achieve very high miles without any major work. That is simply not the case with diesels now. We now live in the day of the new emissions diesels and as a result I dont think we'll see the type of high miles that were once seen on the 7.3 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins without major engine work being done IMO.
Thank you Front Runner!I do read all your posts.My biggest thing is the torque.Since I've been looking at the new trucks I was looking at both the gas and diesel.I kept thinking to myself I'll be down 400lb ft of torque vs the diesel if I went gas!That is alot too lose.Really I was thinking about it wrong,I need too look at MY current 570lb ft of torque my 6.0 has now,Which I might add works fine for me,Not the new 800 vs 400.I'll also add I'm not ready for a DPF filter and urea.These trucks aren't for people who just WANT them anymore.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by nico963
Thank you Front Runner!I do read all your posts.My biggest thing is the torque.Since I've been looking at the new trucks I was looking at both the gas and diesel.I kept thinking to myself I'll be down 400lb ft of torque vs the diesel if I went gas!That is alot too lose.Really I was thinking about it wrong,I need too look at MY current 570lb ft of torque my 6.0 has now,Which I might add works fine for me,Not the new 800 vs 400.I'll also add I'm not ready for a DPF filter and urea.These trucks aren't for people who just WANT them anymore.

Great points. It is better to compare what you already have to the 6.2. Then it's easier to see if it will work for you. The 6.7 seems to be a great engine so far and I hope it continues to be, but it will take me a couple of years for me to say if its reliable or not. I'm waiting to see what happens when the warranty runs out, and how they are holding up then. But I do have an open mind.