1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Lookin to buy a truck with ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM
MSC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lookin to buy a truck with ??????

Hey guys, I currently own a 86 F150 w/ I6 in it. I'm lookin to buy a newer truck for my powder/ceramic coating business. Not a lot of heavy haulin'.

Generaly speaking I'm thinking of a late 90's model (with a 8ft bed) in the $5 grand range. I'm lookin for pros and cons of what to buy. Like what were the better years or the problem prone years. What drive trains are better than others. Anything you guys can help with, is greatly apreciated.

Mark

Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the last truck ford made (minus the raptor) that i liked was in '96. i have a 2wd '94 f-150 which i picked up for a song. i had to replace every suspension bracket on it, but she's been a HARD working truck for me. the trans is starting to let loose, but it's my fault for subjecting her to towing the trailer around. i've had very few issues with the motor (302), just recently replaced the maf and replaced the coil. only thing i would change would be getting a 3/4 or one ton instead of another half ton. still, can't complain, trucks got good heart.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I always felt 95 was the best year for the 9th gen trucks. I wouldn't go with a 96, because alot of people think that when the end of a production run comes, focus goes to the new vehicle, and quality goes down the drain. I don't know if that's true or not, but Ford completely re-designed the F-Series for 97, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

If you are gonna be pulling a trailer, definitely go with a 3/4 ton +. 1/2 tons don't like trailers, especially heavily loaded ones.

Chump, I don't much care for anything past 96 either, although I have an appreciation for single cab long bed 4x4 10th gens as well as Super cab short bed 4x4 10th gens. I used to hate them, but after working on a few for friends who had them, they're not so bad. When it comes to 10th gens, if it doesn't have a transfer case, or has 4 doors, I don't like it.

As far as the Raptor goes, meh.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
MSC
Senior User
Good stuff guys, anyone else...

Mark

Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
I have a 94 F150 with a strait 6 that I love. Excellent fuel economy and with it being a 5spd i can pull alot with it. My truck and trailer empty weigh just over 9K lbs and i was able to pull a toyota camry on the trailer from Indiana to Minnesota no problem and still got right around 15mpg the entire way. Only thing I don't like is it doesnt have alot of horsepower to accelerate with the trailer like my 85 with the 351 has. May take me a while to get up to speed but once I get there Im good to go.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fix up the old truck....

Not enough old trucks running around. And if all you are doing is dropping off and picking up items for blast/coat, the old truck should serve you fine for many years to come.

5K or less into your 86 would make her like new.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
MSC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Fix up the old truck....

Not enough old trucks running around. And if all you are doing is dropping off and picking up items for blast/coat, the old truck should serve you fine for many years to come.

5K or less into your 86 would make her like new.

Don't get me wrong I'm not totally against fixing what I have. But currently I've picked up a big account for my business. His shop is two hours away and my old truck is starting to show it's age.

I'm just collecting data and exploring all my avenues.

Thanks guys, knew I could on good info from here.

Mark