6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pics and some install notes for Firestone Ride Rite #2535 air bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pics and some install notes for Firestone Ride Rite #2535 air bags

Well, I hope this info helps somebody. It's really not that hard to figure out how to install this stuff but I sure would have had more fun doing it if I had been able to see it first, so, Here is what I have.

This is the driver side, note the fifth wheel bracket and the bolt on the frame right above the air bag, this is the top bracket mount.

This is the passenger side, note the shield for the exhaust pipe.

This is the driver side bag underneath, note all the stuff in the way thanks to the DEF tank and hardware. Driver side is difficult to install. Use tie wraps to keep everything away from the air bag.

Another pic for the driver side configuration. Note the tie wraps for the e-brake cable and DEF lines.

This is a view of the top bracket installation showing the spacer for a good flush fit to the frame rail.

Another view of the top bracket.

Close up view of the bottom bracket configuration.

Location of in-cab control. Best place I could find. The other gauge (black one) is for my Viar 10007 system which is my air source.

The air lines pass thru the big plug under the brake pedal. There is enough give in that plug to keep the lines from getting too kinky (haha).

This is how I routed the cables and lines, right above the go pedal and to the right feeding to the center console.

I followed the Firestone installation instructions, everything was pretty clear. You need a 1"1/8 socket and crescent wrench, lots of advil. Any other tools needed are common things.

Working was easier with the spare tire removed and also removing the rear wheels though safety is a real concern when doing this.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I'll help any way I can. The truck performs soooooooooo much better with these. My personal opinion is that these bags "complete" the truck, making it just right.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Looks like the job was tricky. Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Oh yes, I am towing a trailer right now throughout NC. They work great. I just blow them up to level out my ride and go. Makes the truck feel and behave very solid and secure.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where @ in nc? make it to hickory any?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a lot of cool things you can do with air!

YouTube - Nathan K5LA drive by test at night (best sounding)

Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are both bags on the same line? have you noticed transfer from bag to bag in corners? could be something you experience more with more weight in the box. when my dad first installed his bags he had both on one line and that was a big problem when the camper was in the truck. made the truck lean even more in corners

Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I have to reinstall my Airlift bags taken from my 08 srw to my 2011 srw thats coming this month . They had to be drilled to install and it was a PIA. I was thinking of Firestones this time because of no drill. If the frame is the same I may put my old ones back on to save a few hundered bucks. I have an idea how they go on now and may make a pattern from the old install. Do you think the frame is the same above the axle as the 08's?
Also I don't have the Fifth Wheel hitch.

MV that is so cool. I got to get me some for my trips down into the citys..

Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Yes, both bags are on the same line but I don't experience any lean. The trailers I tow all have pretty low center of gravity. I could see how some folks would want to negate the transfer of air from one bag to another, just not necessary for me.

The holes in the frame are different on these '11's compared to an '08. On the driver side frame rail there are different bolt hole locations for the urea tank, e-brake line. I remember on my '08 there was a big hole right above the axle on both sides which was used for the Firestone kit. Now there is just a big hole over the passenger side axle, driver side is a new ball of wax.

I will be working in Pinehurst the rest of this week.

And yes, there is an air horn in my future!

Last edited by ruschejj; 10-05-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: reply to mvedepo and Daniel
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Let me chime in here on this one. Mine is an 08 so i can't add to the install of the 11's, but I would opt for a dual control in you are planning a 5er.

that is how I have mine setup and it can be quite helpful.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Rep Points Given!

Originally Posted by ruschejj
Well, I hope this info helps somebody. It's really not that hard to figure out how to install this stuff but I sure would have had more fun doing it if I had been able to see it first, so, Here is what I have.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I'll help any way I can. The truck performs soooooooooo much better with these. My personal opinion is that these bags "complete" the truck, making it just right.

GREAT info! Thanks for posting...

However, my question is:
What psi do you run when empty? What seems to work best?

biz

Old 10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
So far, I run them at 10psi empty. No real reason for it and I have not experimented with the feel of running at 5psi or 15psi, etc... I am running with 60psi right now, 4 men and a pretty good sized work trailer with a lot of rigging gear in it. My GCW right now is probably pushing 19 or 20K with passengers (us 4 guys weigh about 800lbs). So, 60psi is making my truck and trailer dead level.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Let me chime in here on this one. Mine is an 08 so i can't add to the install of the 11's, but I would opt for a dual control in you are planning a 5er.

that is how I have mine setup and it can be quite helpful.
Also, if someone has an in bed camper they definitely want seperate air lines. The hi center of gravity will force air from the outside to the inside bag during a turn. The exact oposite of what you want to happen.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
tglander
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag install

I just finished installing a compressor and airlines for the Firestone 2535 kit. I'll be installing the airbags later this week. The compressor and airlines pics are on my site at Tom's How-To and there's also video of my 2011 F350 dually there as well. I took a bunch of photos of the install in case anyone wants to duplicate what I did. It should make things easier. I will also post photos of my install of the airbags.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by tglander
I just finished installing a compressor and airlines for the Firestone 2535 kit. I'll be installing the airbags later this week. The compressor and airlines pics are on my site at Tom's How-To and there's also video of my 2011 F350 dually there as well. I took a bunch of photos of the install in case anyone wants to duplicate what I did. It should make things easier. I will also post photos of my install of the airbags.

So far that is looking pretty good. You routed the air lines and stuff the same as I did.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job...I am considering these for my truck

Quick Reply: Pics and some install notes for Firestone Ride Rite #2535 air bags