Sponsored by: Moser

Favorite fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D8chumley
And OBTW 2 days to the Flyers season opener! Thats right, I hijacked my own thread
Let the NHL regular season begin.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM
v_tach
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickf92592
The additive packages have little to do with keeping your fuel system clean, more to do with emissions and such.
They absolutely have to do with emmisions... by helping keep the fuel system clean. Doing so maintains the engine's efficiency and proper emissions. That is why they are mandated by the government. But those products must be used consistently and that is why they are formulated in the gasoline.

Fuel system additives = Snake Oil. Its all a scam. Just because BMW sells it, doesn't make it anymore effective than any other scam product out there.

Top Gear did some independent testing a while back of some popular additives. None of them did what was advertised by their respective manufacturer's an ALL OF THEM DECREASED THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE ENGINE. Now granted, the additives they tested were mostly products that advertised as increasing engine performance but most of them also claimed to be fuel system cleaners. There have also been a few tests done in the marine industry with the same results.

Now, why isn't this information published more wide spread? Because those products and their manufacturer's are huge advertisers and nobody wants to lose their money. Its a win/win for the product manufacturers and the automotive media industry on the consumer's dollar.

Everybody wants to believe there are simple and effective solutions in a bottle. Keep dreaming. Its akin to the diet industry and countless folks fall for both of them wasting their money.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by v_tach
They absolutely have to do with emmisions... by helping keep the fuel system clean. Doing so maintains the engine's efficiency and proper emissions. That is why they are mandated by the government. But those products must be used consistently and that is why they are formulated in the gasoline.

Fuel system additives = Snake Oil. Its all a scam. Just because BMW sells it, doesn't make it anymore effective than any other scam product out there.

Top Gear did some independent testing a while back of some popular additives. None of them did what was advertised by their respective manufacturer's an ALL OF THEM DECREASED THE POWER OUTPUT OF THE ENGINE. Now granted, the additives they tested were mostly products that advertised as increasing engine performance but most of them also claimed to be fuel system cleaners. There have also been a few tests done in the marine industry with the same results.

Now, why isn't this information published more wide spread? Because those products and their manufacturer's are huge advertisers and nobody wants to lose their money. Its a win/win for the product manufacturers and the automotive media industry on the consumer's dollar.

Everybody wants to believe there are simple and effective solutions in a bottle. Keep dreaming. Its akin to the diet industry and countless folks fall for both of them wasting their money.
Here's a BMW TSB that I was not aware of; it strangely says almost the same thing I was saying about top tier fuels vs non top tier fuels which have inferior additive packages:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B130506g.htm

The clear statement is that all gasolines are NOT equal. Your reference to Top Gear is completely irrelevant to what I have been talking about which is Techron and no other additive. And somehow I trust BMW engineers (who have designed world class engines) more than a British TV show to know what is happening inside a motor... I agree that many or most other additives are indeed likely to be less useful and are made to be marketed.

One other point is that BMW recommends premium fuel (91+ octane) for all of its cars. I know that BP and Shell, at minimum, advertise that their premium grades have more additives than lower grades. I use regular in my van and a couple other cars in the family, and in non top tier brands, I would assume that the additives might be really inadequate. I wish all fuel had full disclosure of additive packs but the only thing I know is top tier or not, and premium>lower grades.

I'll stick by my statements and will continue to use Techron in my fuel occasionally unless the situation changes and I can use top tier fuels at a lower net cost. Thanks for helping me confirm my own logic; I learned something in this thread. Done.

George

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, all additives are delivered by black helicopters flown by members of the Masonic Lodge and the profits are used to de-stabilize governments around the world through the manipulation of the mainstream media and the large financial institutions.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:26 AM
SliderF150
Junior User
I have used both Seafoam and Lucas over the years.........both are good products...Seafoam is a good stabilizer as well...Seafoam is harder to find in Canada....

Shell claims no ....ethanol in their Super ...Petro Canada claims Techron is added to their fuel...the higher the grade the more there is. For boats and snowmobiles most of us try and stick to Shell for the reason stated...

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
3bands
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amsoil PI.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willtiti88
Ok. Thanks for letting me know that. I will remember that.
OK tough guy I tried to make it right. Maybe I was right the first time?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
From Troll to Tool in two (of three total) posts.

Nice.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok. Thanks for letting me know that. I will remember that.

Around my way we refer to guys like this as DB's. D****e Bags

Regardless, welcome to FTE

More importantly, 4+ pages about injector cleaners? Whoda thunk it?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Mr Charlie. For a minute I thought it was I that was being a D-bag.
EDIT: McDavis, its educational reading though, lol!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Mr Charlie. For a minute I thought it was I that was being a D-bag.
EDIT: McDavis, its educational reading though, lol!
Educational no doubt! That is until someone had to put his re-re ways into a decent thread.

DBchumley you might be a "resident smarta$$" but that's a helluva lot better, and excusable.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chick fight!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Hi, D8chumley
Stop fighting with me.
Hey, thanks for stopping by this thread and for your truly valuable input. Really. Now, move along, nothing else for you to see here. Oh- and welcome, I guess, to the best Ford truck forum on the internet. How did you manage to get a 2013 F150 anyway? And if you're not a troll why are you so deceptive in your profile?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Pablo Valdez
New User
Fuel System Cleaner

Does anyone know the best fuel ststem cleaner to remove carbon from the spark plugs on a 2007 Ford Expedition 5.4 engine

Old 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Another one resurrected! Chandler, I think this was our first interaction, no? Look at us now
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Around my way we refer to guys like this as DB's. D****e Bags

Regardless, welcome to FTE

More importantly, 4+ pages about injector cleaners? Whoda thunk it?

Quick Reply: Favorite fuel injector cleaner?