Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you gonna be putting all the smog equipment back on?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
mr_malina
Senior User
Originally Posted by hammerhead90
Are you gonna be putting all the smog equipment back on?
Smog equipment is for California people.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by mr_malina
Guys I am not sure what route I am going to go with , atm . going to talk to my team at school,. and figure it out i will let you all know Monday ... Would ported Efi heads Do the same as the carb'd heads etc ?
thxs

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad

Then kick your "teacher" right in the nuts
Right or wrong this make me fall outta my chair laughin!!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Originally Posted by mr_malina
Thats my point. but some states still check em after a certain year.
Are you from Cali Big-460?

Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to be running the stock computer? I think with the number of modifications you'll be making to the motor, there's no way the stock computer is going to be able to pull off acceptable emissions numbers. If you need to follow Cali laws, you might as well plan for keeping some of the emissions equipment. While Iowa doesn't have emissions checking, my plan is to upgrade to a MegaSquirt EFI system. I've been told that with the increased processing power of the MegaSquirt system, you can at least eliminate the air pump and it's supporting hardware while still being able to run a cat just like all new vehicles do.

Also, with the ease of tuning the MegaSquirt system provides, you should be able to accommodate any changes you make.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-old-460
Guys I am not sure what route I am going to go with , atm . going to talk to my team at school,. and figure it out i will let you all know Monday ... Would ported Efi heads Do the same as the carb'd heads etc ?
thxs
You will never get EFI heads to flow as good as STOCK crab heads. It has been tried but just doesn't happen. While porting does help, there is no comparison to carb heads. Check out this thread on porting 460 efi heads https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ts-are-in.html

I personally would not get rid of the efi for carb.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
You will never get EFI heads to flow as good as STOCK crab heads. It has been tried but just doesn't happen. While porting does help, there is no comparison to carb heads. Check out this thread on porting 460 efi heads https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ts-are-in.html

I personally would not get rid of the efi for carb.
OK i already CAlled the Head shop they will take back the Carb heads and port my Old EFI heads and do a rebuild on them for free + the cost of shipping ! YAY !!
also I need Advice .. On a NEW Clutch Fan for my truck or Please if possibly a Strong good electrical Fan to replace the stock Fan, Adds to horse power. also I will be chipping the computer at a custom shop . so i will pass smog. etc
jayson
also last idea I can get my truck Registered in AZ, online , grandma lives in mesa , dont need to smog check it there. and if i get pulled over its simple I am just going to school out here. so that could possibly work

Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
OK i already CAlled the Head shop they will take back the Carb heads and port my Old EFI heads and do a rebuild on them for free + the cost of shipping ! YAY !!
also I need Advice .. On a NEW Clutch Fan for my truck or Please if possibly a Strong good electrical Fan to replace the stock Fan, Adds to horse power. also I will be chipping the computer at a custom shop . so i will pass smog. etc
jayson
also last idea I can get my truck Registered in AZ, online , grandma lives in mesa , dont need to smog check it there. and if i get pulled over its simple I am just going to school out here. so that could possibly work
You got super lucky with the machine shop taking back the carb heads. But 700 to have a pair of heads done is ridiculously expensive. I rebuilt my complete 429 for 700. That included New bearings, rings, gaskets, 8 new exhaust valves, hardened seats, springs, cam and cut crank.

While your HP and TQ rating are nobile. They will never happen with out a turbo, supercharger, or N2O. And you still will be hard pressed for those numbers.

What school are you going to? I want to make sure i NEVER recommend that school to anyone. Your teachers are IDIOTS

Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
You got super lucky with the machine shop taking back the carb heads. But 700 to have a pair of heads done is ridiculously expensive. I rebuilt my complete 429 for 700. That included New bearings, rings, gaskets, 8 new exhaust valves, hardened seats, springs, cam and cut crank.

While your HP and TQ rating are nobile. They will never happen with out a turbo, supercharger, or N2O. And you still will be hard pressed for those numbers.

What school are you going to? I want to make sure i NEVER recommend that school to anyone. Your teachers are IDIOTS

Go easy on me,, they are very smart. at least some.. most of them had or owned shops, back in the day , some just wanted to teach . anyway i go to the toyota technical institute in California ,
didnt you see the post of my school with pics ?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...with-pics.html

Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go easy on me,, they are very smart. at least some.. most of them had or owned shops, back in the day , some just wanted to teach .
Want to teach = Easy money!!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Harrytop
New User
If you didn't notice, but the amount of FREE info that is being passed on here is incredible!! I know some people word things nice and other are more straight to the point, but thats life. I just wanted to say "Thanks" for starting this thread and your build because, I'm just starting my 460 freshen up job and lots of this info is helping me directly. I know

Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

<clip for="" brevity="" clarity="">
If that is your plan, I hope you have an Arizona Drivers License. Get stopped in a AZ reg'd vehicle, carrying a CDL and I can bet my bottom dollar your truck will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. A lifted rig in the SF Bay Area will get some scrutiny but if they think you're trying to avoid smog, they will nail you. Especially if the truck was originally registered in CA, then re-registered in AZ.

And that idea of chipping it; that makes it just that much harder to smog it.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but I've been down this road before. Keep it legal and you won't have troubles with the law and the DMV.

Ray</clip>

Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
MORE PICS ON TUESDAY WITH NEW INFO ON MY VALVE TRAIN , CRANK AND STUFF>>>
ttul everyone. thxs for all the great responses .

jayson

Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
MariosF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
If that is your plan, I hope you have an Arizona Drivers License. Get stopped in a AZ reg'd vehicle, carrying a CDL and I can bet my bottom dollar your truck will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. A lifted rig in the SF Bay Area will get some scrutiny but if they think you're trying to avoid smog, they will nail you. Especially if the truck was originally registered in CA, then re-registered in AZ.

And that idea of chipping it; that makes it just that much harder to smog it.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but I've been down this road before. Keep it legal and you won't have troubles with the law and the DMV.

Ray</clip>
Hey Ray,
i couldnt figure out for the life of me how to PM you so im posting. i hope im not clouding BIG ol460's thread w/ my question if this is gona go off topic.. If you wana email me: Marios_03_wrx@yahoo.com

My question is why would BIG ol 460 not be able to tune his ECU (lets say it was a standalone) to be compliant w/ Cali emmisions if he removed the the Smog pump and Thermocator (i think thats another thing that controls emissions). If he ran a CAT and leaned out the fuel mixture across the RPM range to make maximum, but safe power. Why would it not be emissions compliant?? If anyone else would like to chime in or email me an answer im all for it

Mario

Quick Reply: 460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!