Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

York copressor for onboard air?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
York copressor for onboard air?

Just got me one of those today for $10, was smart enough to grab the lines too with it cause I just knew the fittings ain't gonna be nothing standard... Now the question is how do I install this in my truck? Factory A/C is gone, so I got the space there - anyone has a beast like that installed in that location on an engine with V-belts? If so what did you do for brackets, I got all factory Ford brackets the York bolts up to along with the tensioner, any easy way of making those work on an IDI?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
I've been planning to put my York in my truck as well, except I have working a/c so I'm REALLY cramped for space! From what I've looked at though the york will require complete custom brackets regardless of where you mount it. I was thinking I might attach it above my power steering pump off the existing a/c bracket and try to find a dual pulley PS pump pulley to piggyback off of. except my york is serpentine while my truck is V. It's never easy is it?!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Serpentine belt York is some rare stuff man, just grab the clutch assembly off a good-condition junkyard unit and sell your serpentine clutch to a Jeeper with serpentine belt setup

And yah with the A/C there you're very low on space, gotta move some stuff around I guess - windshield washer tank would be the first candidate IMHO.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Update on this project, York is in and working good. I had to make my own brackets for mounting it, I used the factory steel bracket that runs between the water pump and the PS pump, and by welding just three pieces of scrap angle iron to it (and lots of cutting and grinding of course) I end up with a nice and sturdy base for that heavy beast - it has no adjustment integrated in it like some others do, but this is not an issue since I have the factory tensioner that bolts to the York. For the time being the compressor is wired with a simple on/off switch of the pull-push type, that kind actually is nice for emergency shutoff - just smack the thing and compressor is off. Eventually I may go all the way with pressure switches and such, but I gotta get me some road tractor air tanks and lines first.

Overall the thing works decent, fills up a 5-gallon portable tank in a less than a minute. Also tried running a 1/2"-drive impact directly off it, and at high idle (1400 rpms) it couldn't keep up, with the airflow, but if I waited like 5-10 seconds between pulling the trigger it was sufficient for tearing out rusty lugnuts. So yes, definitely needs air tanks, altho I have the suspicion that I ended up with the short-stroke compressor which would make for less airflow than ideal. Also while testing it I noticed that when the compressor starts to build pressure (tank was reading around 50psi at the time) the section of the belt that is between the compressor and the crank pulley started slapping like the alternator belt does at idle, which didn't sit good with me - so I added an idler pulley for the belt to ride on, worked like a charm.

Anyways, here are pics for your viewing pleasure - starting with the bracket I made for it, which is now all painted black, but I took the pics with it still rusty so you can see how it's put together and where the welds are:

Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Top view of the bracket, and two pics of how the compressor sits on it (you can also see the tensioner and the idler in the last pic):

Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Two better pics of the tensioner - first one shows you the cut I hat to make in its bracket for it to clear the oil fill neck, and the second ones gives you an idea how the thing lines up wit the rest of the pulleys. Tensioner is the factory one that mates to the York in the '70s Torino that I pulled it from. Last pic is of the idler that cures the belt slap, this attaches using the long bolt for the PS pump bracket, and it's other end rides against the bent bottom edge on the steel factory bracket that I used to built the mount for the compressor.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
When I did my system on my Samurai, this company was my source for check valve, pressure switch, fittings, ect...

::Kilby Enterprises::

You can get creative like I did and have a throttle up switch so when the pressure gets down to 100psi, the pressure switch activates the clutch and a throttle servo to bring the rpms upto 2500rpm for quick recovery then shuts off automatically at 160 psi. I cut down an air tank to fit sideways between my frame rails and ended up with 6 gallon capacity. It's great running an impact gun or air ratchet, specially for quick changing of snapped axles or just airing tires back up to drive home. I would deffinitely include a pressure relief valve for safety.

Nice bracket work, I'm sure your going to get some guys attention with that. This one of those things people want to do until they look under the hood and get overwhelmed.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
juni88126
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about getting the brackets and an air compressor off of a t444e bus engine. Only thing that I can see is watch the oil level in the compressor the york style compressors do move oil through the ac system so you may have to add some oil once in a while.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by juni88126
Only thing that I can see is watch the oil level in the compressor the york style compressors do move oil through the ac system so you may have to add some oil once in a while.

That's the beauty of a York compressor. They have a crankcase that contains their own lubrication for the bearings. Unless severely wore and sufering from blowby, they don't circulate the oil at all unlike a newer worm or vein style compressor.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
You can get creative like I did and have a throttle up switch so when the pressure gets down to 100psi, the pressure switch activates the clutch and a throttle servo to bring the rpms upto 2500rpm for quick recovery then shuts off automatically at 160 psi. I cut down an air tank to fit sideways between my frame rails and ended up with 6 gallon capacity. It's great running an impact gun or air ratchet, specially for quick changing of snapped axles or just airing tires back up to drive home. I would deffinitely include a pressure relief valve for safety.
I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, so I don't think I'll be using pressure switches and servos - well maybe a pressure switch, but definitely not a servo for the throttle - the area around my IP is already cluttered as is with all the extra wiring there... I do have a manual throttle assembly from a big truck tho, this will be going in as soon as find a place to put it cause where it was on the big truck I got a CB and its external speaker in the way... Safety valve will be installed for sure, I just forgot to buy one when I was at the hardware store. So with your 6-gallon tank, how quick do you drain it? I'm thinking of buying one of those 600 lb/ft impact guns that pull over 4cfm, so I should probably install as many and as large tanks as I can fit - considering nothing can live in the bed, I'm thinking of installing them outside the frame rails under the cab.

Nice bracket work, I'm sure your going to get some guys attention with that. This one of those things people want to do until they look under the hood and get overwhelmed.
That bracket was nothing special really, just some angle iron I had laying around. But yes, the task can be pretty daunting, especially since there ain't pretty much not a single straight edge in the factory accessory brackets to work dimensions of - I actually cheated there, I pulled the entire PS pump bracketry from a junkyard truck, and then used that to figure out my setup on the work bench instead of in the truck

Originally Posted by juni88126
How about getting the brackets and an air compressor off of a t444e bus engine. Only thing that I can see is watch the oil level in the compressor the york style compressors do move oil through the ac system so you may have to add some oil once in a while.
Didn't even think of that, there was a school bus with air brakes in the junkyard, not sure it was powered by a T444E tho. On the other hand, the T444E is actually International's designation for the 7.3 PSD engine, not sure how the accessory bracketry on those would line up with what we have on the IDI... By all means tho, if you can get your hands on it and are willing to try it go for it, the more options we have in this the better And yes, I know of the oil circulation, but thanks for the reminder, will keep an eye on the oil level for sure.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
That's the beauty of a York compressor. They have a crankcase that contains their own lubrication for the bearings. Unless severely wore and sufering from blowby, they don't circulate the oil at all unlike a newer worm or vein style compressor.
Actually they do circulate some oil, not all of it but some - one of the oil passages puts some oil in the suction port of the compressor, which is why it's recommended that if the compressor is to be laid on its side the suction port should be the top one. There's a mod that supposedly fixes this, but it requires major compressor disassembly and I wanted to have this installed and operational ASAP since I dunno how soon work will pickup again and for how long - I can always grab another York (now that I actually know what I'm looking for) and tear it down and play with it during my winter vacation...

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
NICE JOB !!

Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM
rangernut09011980
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NEED PICS Please!!!! I have an 88 F250 4x4 7.3 IDI I am gearing up and want an O.B.A.S. for it as well. Thanks

Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LCAM hasn't logged on in a year & a half, and his last post in this thread was 4 years ago...

Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 PM
BikeMaker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mounted mine in place of the stock AC compressor. Modded the stock brackets so it uses the standard location, tension adjustment, and even stock AC belt length.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: York copressor for onboard air?