2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Expedition EL vs. Suburban

Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
northernsnooker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expedition EL vs. Suburban

I am currently looking at a 2010 Expedition El with about 20,000 miles. I am also looking at a 2010 Suburban with about 4,000 miles. The Ford is about $6,000 less. Both are equipped similarly.

Did any of you consider a Suburban before purchasing the Exp? If so, what made you decide on the Exp?

I currently drive a F150 and have always had Fords so I'm comfortable and used to them. Just looking for some input. The Suburban has less miles and is 6 hours closer to my house.

It seems the Sub gets better gas mileage due to the 4 cylinder shut down.

Any advantages or disadvantages for either vehicle?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
My sister in law has an '07 sub with the 5.3L and it's a gas hog. Likewise it has some engine issues inherent tot he 5.3L such as ticking and unexplained oil consumption. Their '09 Sliverado has the same issues.

There's no way to tell how the Expy was maintained and treated. Thank God for extended warranties and maintenance plans.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I was in the hunt for an Expy before I settled down to the F150. I found that the interior space (READ: leg room) was greater in the Ford. This to me is far greater of a pull than gas mileage, etc. I prefer the interior of the Expy over the Sub regardless.
I'm not a fan of the cylinder deactivation mainly because if you have more than 2 people in the vehicle, carrying a load, pulling a trailer, or you're not on flat ground, then the deactivation won't happen anyway.
I'm also a Ford loyal (3 Explorers and now my F150) so I'm biased anyway.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
northernsnooker
Senior User
Someone I work with has a 2007 Expedition as well as an older one, I believe a 2001. Anyway, he says the 2007 does not tow nearly as well as the older one due to soft suspension. He also says the older one is better on a slick boat ramp because it has a limited slip differential, something no longer available on the Exp.

I prefer Fords and have owned 4 of them, but this is a tough decision.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Your coworker's info is a little off. I'm not going to say he's wrong, because each person's experience can differ from the next.

The newer Expy's are available with a limited slip rear end in the 3.73 ratio ONLY. They make a 3.31 ratio, but it's not available with LSD.
Make sure, if you're going to tow, that you find one with a towing package. The towing package is easily identifiable by a 4-pin AND a 7-pin connector. The 4-pin is on the left and the 7-pin is on the right, of the hitch. Also, the tow package will have an external transmission oil cooler. This small radiator sits in front of the main radiator. If you open the hood, you should be able to see it between the bumper assembly and the vehicles radiator.
It's my understanding that the new Expy's actually tow quite well. The 6spd tranny certainly helps this.

Honestly, don't rely on what we, or anyone friend might say about them. Go drive one, or many for that matter.
I drove a 2010 Expy EL XLT and LOVED it, but the wife didn't want to fork over that much $$ and we found a great deal on a 2006 F150 SCrew.

Please see the attached PDF about the 2010 Expy
I hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
10FLMrvEXPEDITIONsep09[1].pdf (356.8 KB, 1701 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
northernsnooker
Senior User
I just checked the Ford website. The only rear end available is a NON-Limited slips 3.73.

A limited slip 3.73 would be preferred on a slick boat ramp.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 AM
northernsnooker
Senior User
I hear what your saying about driving them. I drove the Suburban and plan to drive an Expedition EL soon.

I just wish I could hook up my trailer and test drive it.

I'm sure they both handle fine without a load, but put a tariler behind them and see which does better is the question.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
See if each dealership will let you have an overnight, or at least day long, testdrive. Once you're home, hook up that trailer and see how they do.

If you were asking me to spend your money, it'd be the Expy. But I cannot make up your mind for ya. Happy hunting!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by northernsnooker
I just checked the Ford website. The only rear end available is a NON-Limited slips 3.73.

A limited slip 3.73 would be preferred on a slick boat ramp.

The 2011 Expedition trailering guide isn't posted yet but the 2010 info is still there. The axle code for a LS 3.73.1 is H6. Nothing has changed between 2010 and 2011, even the 5.4L is still in service where as it has been eliminated from the F-150 line-up.

I would speak to the dealer about this.

Likewise when building the 2011 Expy EL, a limited slip axle is not available and only the 3.73 is being offered, at least in the XLT trim level. I didn't out the King Ranch. It could be different. Come to think of it, LS 3.73 may be available only in 4x2's. If you have a 4x4, it wouldn't really matter.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tseekins
The 2011 Expedition trailering guide isn't posted yet but the 2010 info is still there. The axle code for a LS 3.73.1 is H6. Nothing has changed between 2010 and 2011, even the 5.4L is still in service where as it has been eliminated from the F-150 line-up.

I would speak to the dealer about this.

Likewise when building the 2011 Expy EL, a limited slip axle is not available and only the 3.73 is being offered, at least in the XLT trim level. I didn't out the King Ranch. It could be different. Come to think of it, LS 3.73 may be available only in 4x2's. If you have a 4x4, it wouldn't really matter.
I just tried building the 2011 Limited and the King Ranch and it looks like the 3.73 NON limited slip is the only axle choice. Why in the heck did they do that? For me, even with 4x4, a limited slip is a must. This seems strange to me.

All the more reason to go find a 2010 RIGHT NOW!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
transferred
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by northernsnooker
Someone I work with has a 2007 Expedition as well as an older one, I believe a 2001. Anyway, he says the 2007 does not tow nearly as well as the older one due to soft suspension. He also says the older one is better on a slick boat ramp because it has a limited slip differential, something no longer available on the Exp.

I prefer Fords and have owned 4 of them, but this is a tough decision.
Yup, the newer Expeditions have independent rear suspension, the regular Suburban will tow a little better while the 3/4ton Suburban is the clear choice if you plan to tow over 5k on the regular.

Of the two, I'd get the Suburban, it's no worse of a "gas hog" than the Expedition.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by transferred
Yup, the newer Expeditions have independent rear suspension, the regular Suburban will tow a little better while the 3/4ton Suburban is the clear choice if you plan to tow over 5k on the regular.

Of the two, I'd get the Suburban, it's no worse of a "gas hog" than the Expedition.

Expy's have had IRS since 2003. The Expy also has a 9200 lb tow rating with the max tow package.

If MPG's are the primary concern, then this class of SUV is not the right choice. Escapes and CRV's are built for that purpose.

I'm not super up to snuff on the Suburbans but I do know that they are plenty capable of getting the job done and they seem to last as well as the old Expy's.

I own a 2004 4x2 Expy and though I'll never get another as my family is shrinking, you couldn't give me free GM anything for it.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm on my fourth Expedition, the current one is an '07 EL Limited 4x4. Never had any problems towing with any of them. As far as driving, the '07 I have now has been the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. I compared the Exp and Suburban back in '07. Both are great vehicles but the fact that the Exp has a powerfold rear seat and independent rear suspension while with the Suburban you must remove the rear seat and store it somewhere made the Expedition the choice for me. I also think the interior has more room. As far as heavy towing the solid rear axle on the Suburban may help handling.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM
chuck s
Elder User
Towing any weight trailer requires a Weight Distribution Hitch. The Town Car suspension of our '07 Expedition XLT plus a WDH handles nearly 800 pounds of tongue weight and maintains a better ride than any pickup I've been in. Maximum towing capacity on our HD Tow equipped model is 9000 pounds.

Not sure what the problem on boat ramps might be, my boat isn't heavy enough to worry (and I don't launch my camper). I thought the standard Advance Trac traction control handled this. It sure does on ice. Tires make all the difference.

-- Chuck

Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
welfarewagon
Senior User
The towing capacity of the Suburban is 8100 lbs, that's 1000 less then the Expy, along with that issue and the rear power fold seats that you don't have to take out every time you need to haul something were the big selling points for me, I cant tell you how many times a week I fold the seats up and down to pick up kids or haul baseball and soccer gear to the games.
I tow a 33 ft Rockwood travel trailer that dry weighs at 5620 lbs, loaded up Id say its pushing 7000lbs easy, the Expy has pulled it fine for me, yes it has an independent suspension but I added a Helwig sway bar and that has help out a little bit. Im also towing on 22" ford wheels and that didn't hinder the towing anymore then the standard 20" wheels.

BTW mine is the non El version.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Expedition EL vs. Suburban