6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How to install RiffRaff Diesel intercooler boots.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
How to install RiffRaff Diesel intercooler boots.

Well I was bored while putting on my RRD boots so I decided to do a write up on it. I remember when I first started on the forums and didn't know how to do anything so here is a write up on how to remove and install 6.0 intercooler boots and a trick I learned at the dealer ship on how to easily remove the air filter. First off you need a 11mm deep socket, socket wrench, socket extension 8mm socket for the worm drive clamp, and brake cleaner. I started with the passenger side first. You want to loosen all the 11mm clamps holding the boots to the truck and to the intercooler tube.

Once you have the passenger side intercooler tube off use brake cleaner to clean off the intercooler tube and the outlet off the turbo and intercooler. Once you do that install the lower RiffRaff boot and seat it all the way onto the intercooler and clamp it down all the way.

Now install the RiffRaff corner boot that comes off the turbo with a clamp on it but do not tighten this one yet till you put the passenger side intercooler tube back in because you will need to adjust that boot to get the right fit. Once its all lined up tighten all the clamps and you should have something that looks like this.

Alright now that the passenger side is done its time to tackle the driver side.
Start by taking the air filter out and here is a trick I have learned.

First unplug the map sensor and the filter minder and then loosen the closest worm drive clap to the filter and slowly and carefully pull the entire air filter assembly up and towards the front of the truck.

Alright once the air filter is out of the way it should look like this

Next loosen all the 11mm clamps and remove the driver side intercooler pipe and clean everything off with brake cleaner again

Next install the lower RiffRaff intercooler boot and tighten the intercooler side down and then install the upper RiffRaff boot on the intake pipe and tighten it. Then insert the Driver side intercooler pipe and tighten all clamps and then it should look like this.

Then reinstall the air filter the same way you took it out.
and then your done!
Make sure you didn't leave any tools under the hood and before you shut the hood it should look like this.

Now you will have confidence and piece of mind that you will never pop or rip an intercooler boot. I can say I have had these boots on it for awhile now and I drive this truck hard and the boots have not moved at all! Well hope you guys like this write up enjoy!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Job Nick. Sure is different from the 7.3 boots.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep sure is a little different especially the side with the air filter in the way, thats why I wanted to post about how I did it.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the way i always remove the air cleaner. The first time I did it just undoing the clips what a PITA...I learned when I had to pull the turbo and removed the whole unit as you did..Well thanks for sharing your intercooler boot replacement

Old 07-01-2018, 09:56 AM
sinapu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up, you should add how much luckier that you guys are, than us with the e-series are! What a pita, going through the doghouse and the engine at the same time to tighten the clamps down.
says right on the boot not to over tighten, just checking to make sure no one has figured out the dangers yet.
Rebuilt my 6.0 turbo and started blowing the boot off . At 145.00 I was hoping not to buy one but I hope 3rd times a charm..