6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help...she's not starting so good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Grahams
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...she's not starting so good!

Since I purchased my first diesel ('05 Excursion) last May it has always started beautifully on the first crank....until recently. It starts fine if I drive it daily but if it sits for 2-3 days then it takes 3-4 tries to get it started, and even then I have to step on the gas pedal while starting it to get it fired.

I still need to do my EGR delete but not sure if that would even be related to the starting problem? Any suggestions on why it's not starting as nice as it use to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.....Graham.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
check the batteries and ficm.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Grahams
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
check the batteries and ficm.
Thank you for the response Cheezit, it's very much appreciated!

When I read Bismic's 8-09 "troubleshooting no-start" (#8) post last night I had a feeling the batteries could possibly be the culprit on account it would barely turn over once a couple of weeks ago with the batteries sounding almost dead.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or current knowledge of how to check the batteries or FICM, so I'm thinking since the batteries are probably original from '05 & 91k, I will start by replacing both of them and see if the condition still exists. If it does, I recon I'll have to find a local ford truck dealer in here Chicagoland that can diagnose the problem further.

Regarding batteries, is there a particular brand/type/size you could recommend for my '05 Excursion?

Again, many thanks for your help on this Cheezit!!!!!
Regards, Graham

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
my thoughts on batteries is that fords come with free roadside and cost about the same.
Im sure there are other deals outthere.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I like the OEM batteries - either 750 or 850 cca.

If I had a LOT of cash, I would get Odyssey batteries.

You can charge the batteries and then take them to autozone to have them tested - no special tools needed (other than the battery charger).

The no-start thread has links to the procedure for checking the FICM - all you need is a volt meter (available at MANY stores).